SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Hello. biggrin I did about 6 searches, and also prowled about on Google - but I could find nothing!

I was wondering if anyone has, in their years of spinning, found a way to easily carry their staff on their back?

Of course, there are telescopic staffs - but all the ones I have played with seem flimsy and don't exactly seem durable; despite the sellers assuring me at last twelve times that its 100% sturdy.

I'm talking about once-piece staffs.
My staff comes up to just below my eye in height - and it is a bit of pain to lug around with me if I fancy taking it anywhere. Especially if I am carrying anything else with me too.

Sorry for using this image ubbloco but it the only one I could find.
https://www.ugift.co.uk/donatello-turtle.jpg

The staff on his (its?) back, see how it is angled in sort of diagonal fashion? I was wondering if there is actually any way of sticking a staff on your back in that fashion. As it is the only possible position for it not to get in the way of walking!

So, any one know of any makeable back-straps, bags, or whatever to carry a one-piece staff on your back? Without it occupying one of yours hand in some way?

I played around with ropes, belts, etc; but could not make anything effective that fits under my backpack.

Pretty unclear post I know, but hopefully someone understands what I am asking. tongue

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Some places sell, or sometimes people make their own, long canvas bags, even if it doesn't come with one, attaching a strip of material for a shoulder strap is easy.

Firetoys contact staves come with a nice canvas tube bag, no strap though, and only big enough for the one staff they come with.

Fishing tackle bags are a suggestion I've had before too.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
folding lawn chair bags are good too

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
capoeira berimbau bags, ski bags, snowboard bags... some fishing rod bags are big enough...

but like WHOOOOOAAAAAA! that ninja turtle has grip on hi staff! I don't remember my turtle toy bo staffs haveing grip on them... rafael was my favourate. biggrin and after that the one with the swords. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Hah, the good old days, I believe rafael was indeed the coolest. Followed by that orange one which guzzled pizza. biggrin

Thanks for all the suggestions guys; I guess there are lots of solutions out there.
I had a look at fire toys, but they seemed to only sell a small canvas bag capable of storing a 3-piece inner core staff, not a long one-piece. I'll have another look for this tubing you mentioned, maybe it is not sold separately.

I'll root around the house and see if I can find any of the bags mentioned above. biggrin The less money I spend the better! If that fails I'll prowl around town and see what I buy.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Oh, Meg, forgive my ignorance... but what the hell is a capoeira berimbau bag?? ubbloco

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
You can buy a shinai or a bo bag from martial arts store. I have one which I carry my long staff in smile And yes, it's diagonal wink

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Now that sounds ideal. wink
All I need now is a martial arts store!

That sounds far to exciting for Eastbourne... maybe Brighton will have one.

Thanks for the suggestion biggrin

At the moment I have used some odd elastic hoops to hold the staff to my bag... its fairly sturdy and will do until I get my hands on a better alternative.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Until I get a picture of it up, you will have to imagine it wink

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
hey there McAlpine i got an idea for you if you have the time to make the bag yourself.
Recycle an old pair of jeans.
1 - cut the legs off
2 - sew them together end on end
3 - sew up one end so that your staff doesn't fall out
4 - use the waist band to make a strap
5 - use the exess material to make pockets for Kero bottles or a strap so that you can tie up the top of the bag

I've made a couple myself and it works a treat, you can fit two or three staffs into one bag

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i did a similar thing to this to hold little balls n rings, i turned some jeans into 3/4length, and with the cut off bit sewed up n made a nice little bag, and mate with the other leg made a little bag for his diablo

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Staff bags are dead easy to make, i've made a couple. If you can get hold of a sewing machine it takes about 15 minutes. Get a piece of tough material a bit longer than your staff and a slightly shorter piece for the strap, sew the strap to the piece that will be the bag FIRST (mistake i made on my first bag) then just sew up the sides leaving the top open. You can sew in a draw string at the top by folding the top over but you dont have to.
Or if your feeling lazy/incompetant then ask your mum!

"Don't do it naked!"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
There is a little martial arts store in Brighton, on a corner somewhere fairly near Wagamamas, a bit higher up the hill, sorry I can't be more specific I've only ever been to Brighton once (little over a year ago)

Standard fair hight-st-martial-art-store cheep shoddy fall-appart weaponry hanging about, but the bags, bokken and staves should all be fine smile
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1178365081)

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Dizzypheonix, Sandy, and Simta; those ideas sound very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing your instructions! biggrin

I had to rip apart a pair of old trousers to understand what you were getting at tongue I'm hopeless without a diagrams.
But I understand you now, and I gotta say it looks like a great idea!

I'll get to work on it, thanks again, I think you may have just solved my problem. ubbloco

Yakumo, I believe I know the place actually. Well, I know of a shop that sells tacky suits of armour and poorly constructed weapons anyway! I'll head up to Wagamama's next time I'm in Brighton and have a look about. Thanks a lot for the info.

Jee, aren't you guys swell? wink

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
errm, "just below my eye in height" ubblol you mind taking a measure tape wink

I got carrybags for staff, made from cotton drill, very sturdy, different length (1,60 - 1,70), with canvas and padding in the bottom, long zip so you can easily take the staff out of the bag, strap for carrying it exactly the way shown on the picture and two outside bags for miscellaneous (lighter, spare parts) some versions even got a bottle holder so you could carry your kero or water bottle ... very nice stuff, unfortunately I'm too lazy to market it... shrug

You're not passing through Germany by any chance? I'll let go for about 15 Euro (plus shipping)... PM me and I could send you pictures (include your email address)... smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Oh that was just a passing remark :-) My staff is 158cm.
I'm a small guy. wink

And unfortunately I won't be passing through Germany any time soon, but I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your carry-bag, just for ideas!

I'll send you my Email, but I'm still working on these jean-cutting and martial-arts-store ideas. ubblol

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
even not on the way to EJC? wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

NephrenKanewbie
20 posts

Posted:
I use one of these, it fits my contact staff and two minis and sits quite nicely on your back.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Didgeridoo-bag-cot...1QQcmdZViewItem

my big staff sticks out of the top a bit but its not a problem really, i just cover the head with a sock or plastic bag to stop it getting soot everywhere.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Thats a great idea, a Didgeridoo Bag! And they look so funky!! wink

Cheap too ubblol

120cm long... my staff is around 160cm...
T'will do... its not like I'm gonna take it out during the rain.

Great idea, thanks!
The sewing idea is not working for me frown I don't have a sewing machine, and my hand-sewing just doesn't seem durable enough!

Still - will defo have to make one at some point. I'll either get someone else on the task, or try and find a machine!

Next ideas on the list are the Didgeridoo Bag, and the martial arts store. wink

Thanks for all your feedback gang - has been most helpful!

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Neon just got an ace fishing kit bag that holds all his gear for just £20 somewhere, couple of big contact staves, seperate pocket his flowtoys sticks fit in, plenty of room for many, many more in both.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Damn right!

I made do with strapping my staffs to my rucksack using the built-in straps used for tightening the rucksack. Though it only works if the bag is full enough to trap the staff between it and straps and if the grip has enough traction. Otherwise the staff tends to fall down a little bit when you walk ending up with the staff trailing along the floor.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock