Page:
skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
i love to read and discuss books. did a search couldnt find a book club so im starting one biggrin

what books have you read recently? were they any good? which books would you recommend?

i personally have just read Johnny Cash' autobiography and loved it. Beautifully written, poetic and at times moving. ubblove

this apple juice is a bit milky isnt it?!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
has anyone mentioned princess bride?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Go Terry Pratchet! Death rules - he is sooo cool! (and his daughter, and Sam Vimes for that matter). Rincewind started to get a bit stale but was good for a while there.

The Hobbit & LOTR was a favourite of my youth.

Most recently I haven't been reading much (too much to do), and what I have been reading is related to the sword and the mind, so - Hagakure, The Unfettered Mind, Bushido: The Soul of Japan, Japan, An Attempt At Interpretation, Code of the Samurai, Go Rin No Sho (Musashi's 5 rings), Sun Tzu's Art of War etc. All good and I've vowed to re-read them once a year.

Also trying (not touching my nose at all frown) to get through the Tibetan Book of the Dead - this one is worth reading.

Otherwise it's usually anything Sci-Fi/Fantasy or adventure.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well ive just ploughed through Jung Changs biography of Mao... pretty heavy stuff and not particularly cheerful.

on a lighter note, Bill Brysons The Thunderbolt Kid was a brilliant read that left multiple housemates giggling throughout the night smile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
tea fairy: same here, never trust the shite they put on the back, the blurb may be good, but then sometimes, the rest of the book ends up being complete garbage

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
most common sci-fi fantasy I have, but I love terry pratchets science of the discworld series, silly story chapters alternate with some proper hardcore science easily explained and some at a uni level or higher but easy to understand

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Sealeymember
30 posts

Posted:
Dunno if I'll get scolded for talking about this on a thread about books, but has anybody read the Transmetropolitan series of graphic novels (my inner geek showing here)? Spider Jerusalem is the most amazing character ever created!

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Do graphic novels count?

If so, two words: Tank Girl!!

I also have a copy of Johnny the Homocidal Maniac, which is great for a light giggle when you're in a dark mood.

Anyone else here read any Milan Kundera? I've tried reading 'Immortality' and 'the unbearable lightness of being' but I find them pretty heavy, he's got a really philosophical style that I find hard to follow, but I have several friends who love his books and find them really inspiring.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:
I'm with Valura on Jitterbug Perfume, definetely in my top ten reads - Tom Robbins certainly did a lot of research on beetroot for that one smile

On a more geeky note - I love sci-fi and if you want a real page-turner then I'd recomend Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton - HUGE in scope with well thought out science concepts & lots of action.

I've just finished reading the Uplift series by David Brin and while I found the first book (Sundiver) to be a bit of a ho-hum who-dunnit the rest of the series is awesome, sci-fi at it's best.

For non-fiction, I'm really enjoying Cosmos by Carl Sagan - wish I'd read this when it first came out in 1980. Great general introduction to all things astronomical and written in an easy conversational style.

On a less geeky note - The War of Don Emmannuel's Nether Parts, Birds Without Wings & Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. Ok, so if you saw the complete crap movie adaptaion of Captain Corelli's then you may be put off but the book is better by the same factor that sex is better than an ice-pick in the eye wink

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
If you are a fantasy fiction kinda person the Shanara Series by Terry Brooks are a good read.

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
I forgot;

Gods of the Great Away
&
The Celestial Steam Locomotive

both by Michael Coney.

First two parts of the Song of the Earth trilogy. Never have found the third, not even sure he wrote it. Meh.

Great books anyway.

Also any of Robert Asprins "MYTH" series. It's a lot like Pratchett with the exception that it is actually funny ....

And his "Phule" stuff too....

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
TANK GIRL!!! YESS!!! quite a few good reads in here actually, terry pratchett is amazing...

Irvine Welsh is good too, anyone read the acid house? brilliant set of short stories...some very strange scenarios..!

I've just started the last harry potter book...cos..well...yknow.. and have just put down the secret of shambala, one of the Celestine Prophecy books. and I love the whole set. biggrin

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Also a Pratchet fan, loved lord of the rings, but in my opinion the best fantasy saga of all time is The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Brilliant plot, intricate characters and a healthy dose of fantasy to boot. wink

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I loved Wheel of Time to start with, but it got WAY too political and long winded by about the 6th book, and the last couple have been terrible. Robert Jordan says he's going to wrap up the series in the next book (no.12 I think) but he's got so many loose plot threads to tie up it's I don't see how he'll get it all in.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
My all time favourite book is not something that is heard of much

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

It has that kind of ending that makes you want to laugh and cry at the same time...sad but sweet!

I love books like that.

skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
ditto
i love jodi picoult and that, in my humble opinion is her best, so sad and i love the twist when the truth finally comes out,

graphic novels definatly count! i love sandman ubblove (well any neil gaimen in general including his books)
really really want to start reading preacher

this apple juice is a bit milky isnt it?!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
She is my favourite author at this point in time though I was a bit disappointed with her book Songs of a Humpback Whale.....not her best work.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Oooh, Carl Sagan - I forgot about "Contact" - the story itself was a bit "tame" but the idea about the pattern in pi - brilliant!!!
ubbidea

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

SpacialDancernewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I'm drunk and resurrecting this thread. Needless to say I did not read all of it.

100 years of solitude I thought was a terribly entertaining story with a beautiful rolling plot line. I would love to read Carl Sagan but unfortunately my bank account does not allow me the luxury at the moment, I've maxed my book credit out.

Currently I am reading Douglas Hofstadter's book "I am a Strange Loop" and I am in love. He makes me laugh and he comes at the "ego" (I suppose) with a humorous and digestible technique.

The last book I fell in love with was a series by Steven King. Let me preface this by informing everyone I was very skeptical of his work due to mainstream interest. After reading "The Stand" (my inspiration to read it was "LOST") I pursued "The Dark Tower Series".

I get chills even typing that because it was such a well told story with a protagonist who I admire deeply. He contains many literary references in his 7 book series and the ending just swept the story into a special place in my heart. I recommend this fiction series STRONGLY. It incited a deep love of reading for me.

I have been delving into a more psychedelic realm of my mind lately so any books anyone is willing to suggest I would be very interested in. *scatterbrains*

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
The Dark Tower series is once of the finest works of the last 100 years without a doubt. Amazing stuff.

At the moment I'm re-reading a trilogy by Stephen Lawhead - Paradise War, Silver Hand and The Endless Knot (Forgotten the name of the trilogy as a whole). Highly recommended to anyone interested in fantasy, especially if you also have an interest in celtic mythology.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I just finished For One More Day by Mitch Albom. It's very easy to read (I got through it in 2 evenings), and is very heartwarming and moving.

I've just started "the man who mistook his wife for a hat", written by the neurologist Oliver Sacks. It's made me realise how I've been taking my temporal lobes for granted!! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Don Quixote is a brick.

I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I didn't have read it for Spanish lit. But because I'm forced to read it with a test and an assignment at the end...It's sucking.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
First [Old link] spoiler, second I've just finished

J.R.R. Tolkien Silmarilion & Unfinished tales

----------------------------

Time to start printing.

mmm,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
For lord of the rings and fantasy fans robert jordans wheel of time epic currently 13 books of the most expansive story telling and with the Author dead before the final book was finished there are massive discussions as to how it will finish as the last months of his life he wrote notes and told the story to family and publishers so someone else could finish his lifes work due out autumn 2009 bounce

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I tried to read that.. didn't help that I read it in order of book 11, 4, 9... and then I just got so confused at the sheer number of characters that I gave up. shrug
I only really get books from second hand shops, and the library, hence the getting whatever I could..

I've been reading Robin Hobb recently, especially the Assassins trilogy..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ooh, i was reading Robin Hobb...til my stomach didn't like some dodgy dodgy food I ate...the book didn't like that too much.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Richee, just finished the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales myself. Good stuff, if a little dry... Dark Tower is now on my "to read" list too.

For anyone with a sci-fi bent, I massively recommend Orson Scott Card's Ender series (Enders Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind). There's a parallel series too, called the Shadow series, that's also worth a read if you're familiar with the Ender books, although the 1st book (Enders Shadow) is the only really exeptional book in the series.

My other favourite sci-fi series is the Ringworld series by Larry Niven. Totally amazing books, really unique stlye, and fantastic ideas.

Wheel of Time started well, but I thought it kind of lost the plot at around book 6 or 7. I'd be very interested to see how it finishes though.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Bill Bryson's Short History of nearly everything...

I would say a 'must read' at least for teenagers and adults struggling to understand the current state of scientific knowledge about the world we live in.

[Confusing co-existence of two identical thread on the same topic ...]
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1213553346)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I've been reading Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy too, I've only got through about 3 chapters, I'm finding it a bit slow-going at the moment to be honest and I don't find Fitz all that convincing as a main character... but then I am in the early stages where everything is being set up for the next 2 books as well, the fact Fitz doesn't speak much at the moment probably adds to the feeling I have that he's quite a one-dimensional character... I've read loads of great reviews for the series though and it is quite well written as far as fantasy books go, so I guess I'll have to persevere!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Ah...The Dark Tower series is a-MAY-zing...it is, by far, Stephen King's magnum opus...and that's saying alot for me...cuz I've been a King fan for close to 30 years.

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yeah the Dark Tower books are outstanding, although I'm not a huge fan of a lot of his other work.

I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy at the moment - its a very different style of writing to what I'm used to but I've a feeling its going to be amazing (only 50 pages in so far)

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Page: