Forums > Technical Discussion > The Ghetto Toys You have made?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
hippieofvenusSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering the poorest cheapest and most ghetto toy you have ever made was

for me it was a welding rod with gauze pad wrapped around it then wire around that for keeping it on......I used it for fire breathing

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I had a pair of nylons with runs in them with socks with holes in them as the weights

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I taught myself how to juggle clubs with two wire brushes. :P

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Rope dart out of closeline, some keyrings and an LED stick. Or poi with shoestrings and car keys.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i was taught to juggle clubs using old chair legs smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
I first started learning poi with two lenghts of twine with five nuts on the end of each.
wow.
that came out wrong...

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
After painful first encounters with firepois, I detected nylon climbing-rope, added a few knots and wow it didn't even remotely hurt as much smile Ah, and my first staff was a broomstick with aluminum foil to the end and some cloth rolleyes

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Ghetto LED poi using dogchains, bike lights and Sellotape.
Still have them and they're bright!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
first poi... old stripey tights (cut of cause) with rice in the ends (not too good after a while as it burst!!!)

first set of doubles staff.. broom sticks with tennis balls stuff with plastcine in them

first stick ever staffed with... a realy nice oak branch found in the woods

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

3,556 posts

Posted:
my glow sock poi are my dad's old tube socks w/o the cool stripes at the top

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
I robbed my dog of the tennis balls I used in my first sock poi! lol

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
I got a set of those really small novelty baseball bats to learn clubs on.

My first set of poi consisted of some fishing weights on the end of some fishing line. That was a disaster.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Fire staff made out of an ash sapling, two flaming rope darts made out of clothes lines/chain and a fire sword made out of a 7.50 katana with guitar strings holding the kevlar on.
I have no safe firetoys. . .

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

nathaniel_deforestSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
I used to work at a petstore when I was first getting into poi. When I was bored I would take two of the long thin plastic bags used for transporting fish, throw two of the multi-colored dog tennis balls in and go spinning in the back room. Needless to say they didn't work too well, but were way more fun than working.

do you believe in something beautiful?
then get up and be it.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
you lie! we know you terrorised the goldfish by spinning them!!!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I learned to contact juggle with those little jingly mirrored chineese exercise balls. I totally trashed one and kept the other nice for performance. It's was hard to learn they were about 1.5 inches in diameter, but I'm stubborn.

My first poi were baught from a street vendor in Australia by a frend. They were tiny tubecore with small keyring handles and wire cord. They scared the crap out of me the first time I spun them with fire and I
didn't know any moves, except maybee a 2 beet weave.

I've also made newspaper juggling clubs, they are actualy really cool. smile

Cody Canon

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
It was diabolo sticks for me. smile

I forgot my carbon diabolo sticks one day when at college - but had my diabolo with me in my bag. (I had taken them out for some reason, probably to restring them.)

Oddly enough I also had a huge ball of rope/string which I was using for a photography project. You know the stuff, the kind awful for rope-burn, and with lots of bristly whiskery bits jutting along it.

The rope was poor quality and did not work well if I just held it in my hands. So I found a sturdy stick and a tennis ball.

The stick was underneath a nearby tree, I wrapped the rope around it at least 25 times with about 16 knots. tongue I used that for my dominant/tapping hand.
Then I tied the other end of the string around the tennis ball securely - this was held in my left hand.

So I had some crappy rope tied between a muddy stick and a tennis ball.

And it worked like a charm!! ubblol
So well in fact, that I kept it.

The tennis ball was really fun for suicides, and the crappy rope lasted forever!
Arm scoops and more elaborate tricks over the head behind the back were really funny too.

Only thing that sucked were coffee grinders, steamrollers, and grinding!
ubbloco

So yea, that was fun!

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
You may be on to something with that tennisball idea. smile

Cody Canon

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
my first fire staff i made from a bit of heavy copper piping i found in the garden with some old socks tied to the end. It was so heavy i pulled a muscle in my back spinning it and couldnt walk for 3 days and the socks had to be replaced every time i had a burn. I got a better one quite quickly.

"Don't do it naked!"

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Cody

You may be on to something with that tennisball idea. smile

I've been thought about it for a while afterwards. Maybe you could drill two holes into a tennis ball, thread through some string, then tie a knot... that would be pretty secure.
I think a stick for your dominant hand is a must though... for accelerations.

Your right, we should experiment. biggrin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Yah you could end up juggling the ball with fun catches, stalls wraps. The ball can become the focus sometimes. The main hand stick is handy, but you could do it with two balls, just double up your wraps to accelerate. Your style would change, but then you have two balls and a Diablo to juggle!. smile

Hmm I might actually try this too.:P

Cody Canon

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
or you could do meteor with a diabolo in the middle? ubbidea

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Hmm yah... if you have really long cord, you could end up holding the cord half way between the tennisballs and the diablo. A good quick trick with this would be a butterfly while the diablo is spinning. If you have enough cord you could do a cats cradle with a butterfly or even an over the head butterfly. The tricks would have to be simple at first because the complexities of haveing the diablo in the middle, but as with everything the tech would progress. I think the idea is new enough that if someone were to run with it and put together a performance piece, they could be the originators and start a frenzy! biggrin

Cody Canon

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i've made a set of monkey poi out of novelty plush monkies with looong tails.
they lasted as long as a firetwirling-movies thread in the social chat forum.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
I started with good poi, though back in raver days before i knew it was "poi spinning" i used shoelaces and glowsticks.

The most ghetto staff I have seen was a kid with a broomstick, with a white cotton shirt cut in two tied on with craft wire.. didnt look to good.

"Runs with Scissors"

hippieofvenusSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ubersmack

The most ghetto staff I have seen was a kid with a broomstick, with a white cotton shirt cut in two tied on with craft wire.. didnt look to good.

yeah that doesn't sound in the least bit good someone ought to tell him how stupid that was and if he is ready for fire they should show him where to get a good staff

arkmSILVER Member
Custom Title
62 posts

Posted:
The first time I'd spun was at a party with a nylon string and a pair of orange glowsticks a couple years ago.

The first poi I had made consist of a pair of thick rounded shoelace and two water bottles (with the caps). I had pierced the middle of both of the caps, insert the shoelace and tie a knot so it will stay in place. From their on, I can practice with only the cap or screw in the bottles for a bit more weight. And If I want even more weight I might even pour in water into the bottles.... or crack a glowstick and pour the liquid in the bottle..

Other than that, I mostly practice now with two long socks and a regular rolled sock in each of them.. nothing special.. I believe I might need a longer sock though..

I haven't experiemented on Staffs or clubs or anything..

I am me. You are you. We are all stardust.

3,556 posts

Posted:
oh i like the idea of cracking a glowstick in a bottle

Faith

kerryannnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
I just discovered poi, but was too impatient to wait until i made the poi...so i tried with the old skipping ropes (leather 'rope' and heavy wood handles) but i did not cut it..... i hit myself on the head so hard i saw stars!

I decided it was best to wait till i made a softer one!!

NifeliumGOLD Member
journeyman
52 posts

Posted:
my first staff was a aluminium curtain rod with a chickent wire cage around it fastened with pop-riverts.

wasent bad just a smidge hard to re-stuff it with rags.

LEAK SPIN

FireMachinanewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Bored in a hotel room on an extended family vacation, I cut up my cousins really furry hot pink pillow, grabbed 2 large/thick socks, 2 golf balls, two same lengths of thick ball chain (they were my cousins necklaces i think?) two black hair ties and my travel sewing kit and proceeded to fashion together a set of hot pink, fuzzy soft poi! I so satisfied with my creation from boredom, I bought two small, pink Chinese kitty cat bells that were originally for hooking onto your cell phone for decoration. I attached those to the poi so they would make sound when I spun them.

That was over a year ago, the threading came undone on one, but i'm actually going to fix it since I really liked that pair. Need to add a bit of extra weight and padding to them though....

Anyway, thats as ghetto as ive gotten in making something poi related.

Page: