Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I have just found out that someone has wiped my account of all my money in one lump sum(ok, they left me £3... how nice of them). I know i'm not the first, nor will be the last who has had this done.

My bank have said they're "investigating". And have cancelled that card for me. However as it was done online they can't guarentee i'd get all my money back (and as it's just gone pay day there was a large sum in there - and a long time till next pay day).

I was wondering people's experiances, opinions and advice they can give on this?

I am still a little confused by this at the moment, collecting my thoughts & compiling things to do (cancel direct debits, borrow money as i own nothing, try and get access to what littles in my ISA savings...)

frown

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
aww hun.. that is one big fat ball-ache..

I've not had that happen to me - but a guy at work did last month.. he's money was spent in Singapore over the interweb too - he did get his money back - but it took a few days to get sorted..

FINGERS crossed for you hunny - hope it all works out!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
eek hug WOW that sucks...

Had that done by my ex-girlfriend tho, few grand and she's so broke, it might take two decades to get it back.

Fortunately I got my payoff from last years business...

How could they wipe your account? My X had my card, how did they get yours... ???

Dearly hope you'll get re-funded hug hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hug
That's horrible. You should get most if not all your money back.
They should be able to see where the transfer came from in a few days time. Hopefully it was from someone far aways, so they KNOW it wasn't you.
I'd keep at the company too. Call now and then in the next few days to see what the status is.
When I had my purse stolen, it was a pain. A black woman wrote a check and used my id, and the bank let her...I am so not of any african heritage. She was dark chocolatey, I am white chocolate...I was so frustrated.
Six months later I still have problems pop up. Just make sure they didn't get any other information. So they can't open a loan or something with your info...
Sorry this happened

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hey pink, sorry to hear that! hug

a couple of things, do you have contents insurance? if you do check your policy, you may have cover on your cards, i know a lot of policys i deal with do so this might help...

also i know there is a grant you can get from this sort of theft, it may be worth checking out, ill see if i can find exactly what its called ect for you but im a bit unexperienced on that side of things.

hope everything works out for you smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I had my card cloned by one of hose front of cash-point things when i was at Uni- I only found out when my account was cleared out 2 days later on the other side of London while I was lying in bed with a hangover...

To HSBC's credit (and it dosn't happen often) they refunded my money in ful after a couple of week sof investigation- I didn't have o go through any rigorous process to reclaim my cash and its was pretty painless after the initial and incredibly frustrating manner in which it happened inthe first place.

I hope it all gets resolved for you- [censored] like this really does get you down, especially when there really is nothing you've done to warrant it.

Keep us posted smile hug

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Babes!! That sucks arse frown

hug

I love you so much, what total wanks. I want to punch them in the face and kick them in the shins.

hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
BTW interesting, how they wipe accounts. If they use card data to withdraw money (on the other side of the planet) you should be safe anyways. If they use your data to purchase stuff online, they still have to leave a shipping address, if they transfer the money from your account, they have to direct it to another account... especially e-money can't disappear without a trace... much different to ca$h.

hug the more I think about it - the stronger my guess gets that you WILL be safe and refunded... hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DougieAGOLD Member
62 posts

Posted:
I had this done to me by my credit card and to the companies credit it all back - the wanker bought a microlight handglider in france as well as lots of other purchases. But they investigated and I got it all refunded and they caught the guy - again as he bought stuff and took it to a shipping address. smile

So it can work out ok - hope it goes well.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
hug

I assume you've reported it to the police as well as the bank?

hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for your comments hug

Glad to see no one has posted they haven't had their money refunded! Gives me hope! But Chutney - a couple of weeks eek I suppose easy way of me saving money!

I haven't actually reported it to the police. I just assumed that, as this happens not that infrequently, the police and banks would have some sort of liason with each other? Do you think i should report it as well?

dougieA - a microlight in france? Wow. Kudos for their choice of purchase (and stupidity).

Oh and it has come up on my statement what the purchase/transfer was, it was rather odd reference - even the bank though it odd (as in non-descriptive at all). Hopefully they will be able to trace it.

As for update - no news from bank yet. See if they've posted anything when get back from work tonight.

DougieAGOLD Member
62 posts

Posted:
Yeah if it wasn't the fact they were spending on my credit card i'd have thought it was a pretty cool purchase too!

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I'd get it reported, just so you've got piece of mind in case the bank tries anything nasty.

Not that I expect the police to do anything more than give you a crime reference number. But your bank might ask you for that to justify that it wasn't you who spent all the money.

hug

Way more hassle than you need, I know!

hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
2c worth from the other side of the fence perspective:

Pink, you should be pretty safe - if you were cleaned out by someone buying on your card as your story implies, then all you have to do is prove it wasn't you that purchased it (well, fill out a form stating you didn't) and the person they bought it off is the one that loses. With most credit cards, the onus is on the merchant accepting the card.

It might take you a bit of time to get it back, but I'm sure you will.

Oh, and absolutely report it to the police as well. It probably won't do any good for your situation, but don't rely on the bank telling them. Tell everyone you can possibly think! And fairly obviously, make sure you get a different card!

Good luck
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

3,556 posts

Posted:
sometimes the bank drags their feet or fights it if you don't have a police report, that's what happened to me

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

furbsSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Couple of hints and tips to prevent it in the first place

1. never let your card leave your sight, part of chip and pin was to ensure that they have to bring the machine to you.

2. be careful at cash machines the slot for your card should either be flush against the surrounding plastic, or set into a small shelf,

3. always be wary of anyone around you when at a cash machine, dont let anything distract you until you have got your money and your card.

4. further to this watch over your shoulder for those that are trying to see your pin.

5. further to never letting it leave your sight, be careful of anyone that is serving you having to 'clean your card' or that 'accidentally' drops it on the ground

also if you are paying for goods online, only use reputable sources, if you are paying online try to use a reputable payment method, such as paypal or worldpay rather than simply handing over your details.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I just ran into a strange loop trying to use Paypal. I gave up in the end but in the meantime I found this site. Comments?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Aww Hun hughughug that sucks dookyballs.

More tale of refund s- I had 2 odd transactions on the credit card bill and both were refunded (though not without me doing a little pestering) and when £1,500 disappeared from my bank account over Bank Holiday weekend it wqas the bank who'd done it!! They even had the cheek to try and charge me for a letter telling me I was overdrawn which I received 3 days after I'd told them about it! mad2 Got my money back, but never got an apology shrug

keep smiling - and call in favours for the next few weeks!

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
A mate of mine had his account rinsed by a UK phone company/bank who added lots of zeros to his monthly direct debit figure. Because he was in Australia at the time and the bank couldn't get their head around dealing with someone who wasn't standing at the counter, it took MONTHS to sort. But I have heard of people get done over like in this case, and it be sorted a lot quicker. Someone else I know was taken at knifepoint to an ATM and emptied their own account under duress. They were recompensed quite quickly... in fact the cheeky git who mugged him told him how to go about it!

3,556 posts

Posted:
well, that was nice, they get their money and he gets his back

Faith

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

well, that was nice, they get their money and he gets his back

Quite nice umm apart from the the hour or so of terror; not knowing if they were going to knife him, set him alight or kick his head in. And having to move house, rather than meeting them on the street again whenever they felt like having another go (and cos they knew where he lived)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
So an update:

Phoned my bank today to see where things were. I'd signed a form i was sent saying that it wasn't my transaction last week.

They said the form had be forwarded to the company who my money had gone to, and that they had to do something (not sure what - they didn't go into details) and then they would get back in touch with me in about 2 weeks! This has been 2 weeks since the fraud, and another 2 weeks to go? *gets stressed*

So i'm going to have to borrow yet more money from my friends to cover my living for 10 days until payday!

Surely the banks must have come up with a quicker way of dealing with these problems? How do they expect you to survive?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
When my wife had her purse stolen and the cards used, the bank muppets had a general policy to hold an investigation which could last anywhere up to 45 days. So It could be even more than another 2 weeks.

Just keep records of who you talked to (get their Id #s, ect, if possible) and continue to call and make a general nuisance of yourself. Also ask to speak to higher ups to try and move your case forward.

Ill keep my fingers crossed for you, but Im pretty sure you will end up with your cash back.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Oh Pink hug

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
If you've had the money robbed on the inter-nerd can I suggest getting something like SAS spy ware. (the home edition is free an it works biggrin wow ), It scans your hard disk for trojans (nastys that track you on the net an try an steal your passwords and bank details) and use firefox or something simmilar for extra protection.

https://www.stopzilla.com/

And I know its noddy stuff but never dowload anything from a site you can't trust 100% like when you get redirected and asked to just download the latest version of so an so to watch this video or hear this song.

Hope the bank sorts stuff quick. hug

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
That is so scary Pink!

I really must be more careful checking all my stuff, thanks for the general raising of awareness...

So sorry it happened to you, but I do believe you will get your money back. Glad you have friends to help in the meantime, and wish I was there for you too!
xoxo
a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."