Forums > Social Chat > Masculine or Feminine?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I was discussing this topic this morning with Josh. And I thought I'd ask you people what you think.Do you think males twirl in a more masculine way then females? As in a more fast and more move orientated way?I have found that females tend to go a lot slower, and are more "flowy??" focused then males. *although "flowy" is not really the word I am looking for, as it can mean something different to all of us and I have see males that I would regard a flowy..*?..However then I realised that I really have only seen females' poi. There are not that many males out there that I have seen who poi, most males use the staff. Not that I have seen that many people twirl, as SA is pretty crap for twirlers. I am looking forward to going to Byron to see if I cansee some more Poi people in action smile and more firetwirlers for that matter.I am trying to work out if poi-ing seen as more feminine and therefore females tend to take it up more? What is it about poi-ing that appeals to females more then the staff?And has anyone else seen a difference in the way males poi to females?~*~Katinca~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I sorta agree, but would like to add that this is even more interesting, as Poi was originally done to help Warriors strengthen their wrists...So what started out as a combative training / implementation is now seemingly perceived as a feminine thing...I tend to agree with kate...out of the ppl we know, it seems that mainly women are attracted to Poi'ing and Men are attracted to Staves..Josh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I think there is something to the idea that poi is more popular with women. For a long time (well before I got into doing it myself), the *only* poi twirlers I saw around here were women. The ratio is about 50:50 now, though.I think the "flowy" point is true as a general rule--women are more flowy than men, and I've heard others comment on this as well. Although I've seen exceptions going both ways: some guys who clearly emphasize fluidity over technical moves, and some women who just kind of stand there and do moves. My own take on that is that women in general are more comfortable dancing, and they therefore are more inclined to bring a dance sensibility to firedancing.My own style tends to revolve around technical moves, but I'm working on making it more flowy. The best poi twirlers I've seen (who all happen to be women) both flow and do technical moves, and that's how I want to be able to spin.Also, fwiw, single staff also seems to be equally popular with men and women as far as I can see. The apparatus that really seem to be woman-specific are batons and finger wands. Double staff seems to be slightly more popular with men, but I don't have a big enough sample size to really say.And then there are these (I don't know what to call them) *things* I made as an experiment, short like batons but fat like staves. I gave them to a friend who does double staff, thinking maybe he could use them. His girlfriend (who had never shown any interest in firedancing herself) picked them up and is getting into it. Cool!

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
My NZ mate does staff a little and he got his girlfriend into Poi. When I asked him why he didn't Poi he said 'poi is for girls'. Glad to see that there plenty of men out there proving him wrong.I haven't seen enough poiers to judge, but I would guess that females are more graceful and fluid, judjing by the men that you see doing thunderbirds impression on the dance floor. Of course this is a generalization. However I think a lot of women might focus more on dance aspect and men on the thrills and spills of executing a technically superior move.Of course as people get better they try and work and both.Just a few thoughts without any evidence wahtsoever to back them up. ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Katinca: U from South Africa? Where, pray tell....------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
for the most part, around here (Houston) it is mostly guys that spin. There is a small group of actual Fire Poi people that i havent had the pleasure of meeting yet, but will eventually. Anyway, i know in the club scene, it is dominated by guys, but you do see some girls here and there. I have seen one girl that was actually very good. We battled one night at a club. And she gave me a good run for my money. She spun slightly masculine. Alot of corkscrew movements, and figure eights, but with a lot of dancing movements interjected. She couldnt do butterflies, turns, standard weaves, or windmills. She was very mechanical.The guys i see, like to do one move really well. People borrow my strings, and do a windmill or a weave perfect, and extremely fast. Then hand them back. Very agressive, spinning them as fast as they can.I myself (like i am sure of most guys here) are aspiring to spin agressively (which i think is in our nature) but at the same time make it very fluid.I think women ( and i am going out on a limb here) spin very gracefully, and fluid, because it makes them feel,well, feminine, or sexy even. The movements are hypnotic, and trance-like and their hips are swaying, and their necks & head are throen backwards. It is very sexual when done in that way. You see a guy fire dancing like that, and he would look...well put it this way, you would question his sexual preference. Just like ballet for example...by no way is it just a feminine activity. i have a friend that took ballet for many years. Arnold Schwarzenneger took ballet to help him with his "manly" bodybuilding poses. The men in ballet, dance very differently from the women, but at the same time, it still mirrors them as far as fluidity goes. Some Football (american) players take ballet to help them with their timing, coordination, and what-not. Which it shows when thay can avoid tackle by the entire opposing team when returning a kickoff.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
There aren't many fire twirlers in DE, i've never seen anyone else spin, though a buddy of mine says he's used fire twice. A lot more people glowstick in clubs and whatnot, and its incredibly rare to see a girl spin. Dunno why, since last time i was at a dance several ladies were interested and i'm pretty sure a few have started glowsticking.Super, its the same way here. When you give your strings to someone who can spin (people who can't ask all the time, but occasionally you get someone who knows what they're doing and can battle) they tend to do one move very fast and uncontrolled. Its kind of unfortunate, because i taught a friend of mine just about everything i know and simple moves performed fluidly even at the expense of speed really do look a lot better then when you just go as fast as you can.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I have seen a lot of poiers and agree women tend to be more fluid (maybe cause I've seen mostly girls spin poi). Then again all but two of the women I know that spin don't seem to realise how much more fun it is if you move your body in contrast to the poi. The further away you get from 'stiff' - the better everything is!No one's ever 'too good' to ever erase the possibility of catching on fire either. Just think there are a few twirlers round these parts that forget that wink

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
This all seems kind of weird to me. Of the spinners I know, who are I think about a 60/40 split of men and women, pretty much everyone spins poi. There are four people I know who either do spin staff or want to (with or without fire), and two are female and the other two are male.It's also hard for me to find much of a style difference by gender; what I see is that each individual has their own style. For example, probably the most languid, calm spinner I know is my friend Chris Nielsen. When he starts going, he seems almost distracted, like he's taking a stroll through the park, looking at the flowers -- and he just happens to be casually twirling a couple of fireballs from his hands.On the other end of the spectrum is an acquaintance, Bruce, who will toss in single-handed cartwheels and other such flashy maneuvers.My girlfriend and I have fairly different styles, but I'd have to say that I'm the more fluid and hence "feminine" of the two of us -- but then, my greater fluidity is partly because I've had more practice. And both of us consciously work on fluidity as well as speed -- and also on things like versatility and stamina, which aren't particularly "male" or "female". They're all important aspects for any kind of performer.Then again, I do hang with a crowd that just doesn't give a flying f--- for gender stereotypes. smile

sphere27member
11 posts

Posted:
I have only seen other people spin on one occasion. It was two girls and two guys and I wouldn't distinguish any as having a masculine or feminine tecnique. However I spin a lot more aggresivly than any of them. But that has a lot to do with the type of music I listen to while practicing (Rage, Linkin Park, etc. ) I seem to like it beter if I imagine a fight for control with the poi. For anyone that reads the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, I liken it to the difference between female and male chanelling.Jimi [This message has been edited by sphere27 (edited 01 August 2001).]

newly burntmember
6 posts

Posted:
Most of the people that I have seen that are any good at poi are women although I was introduced to poi by a guy. Alot of blokes come and try it I think they want to get noiced. They often do get noiced but only because they crack themselves over the head or get shown up by one of the girls.As far as style goes I cringe when I see beginners doing poi who think its really good to go really fast because I know from my own expirience that they are going to hit themselves pretty soon. I think the way you learn has alot to do with the way you spin. I had no access to new moves so I had to concentrate on mking the moves I have more fluid and moving my body between the moves.

clarkeymember
29 posts

Posted:
V. Interesting subject!!The first thought that springs to mind was one of the first times i saw anyone do poi, it was this free party run by travellers, and this girl was doing fire poi (she had clearly being doing it for some years), and i was quite wasted at the time, but i clearly recollect being in complete awe of this girl, she was strangely hypnotic, and moved like a ballerina, very gracefully and i found this v. sexy (sorry i'm repeating superman's comment, but i also found this to b very true). Having tried to teach quite a few people poi, i've found that to begin with everyone, regardless of gender, seems to try and spin the poi really fast, i think they find it harder to spin them slowly, for fear of them dropping out of the air. I think once you've learnt some moves you try (well i have) to integrate all the moves together in different combinations, and then do this with increasingly fluidity, so the moves appear as one continuous move. I think that is where the artistic side of poi really comes out, and this is where you can tell if someone has been doing it for a while, apart from the fact if they can obviously do blatantly hard moves.Another thing i have noticed, although i don't have that much experience here, is that the only people i have seen using the staff have been male. I don't know why. I think that strength doesn't really come into the subject when talking about poi, people of all shapes, sizes and abilities can be good at it. But i think women tend to be more supple, and can therefore move more fluidly, whereas men tend to be more bulky and seem to spin the poi faster but with more 'friction' sort of thing. - i don't think i've explained myself well there, sorry. Hope this has made some sense, easy, T.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I don't think slow movements, fluidity or grace are feminine. Watch somebody do capoiera for five minutes and you might agree.

lusidmember
9 posts

Posted:
I would have to say about 90% of the people I see spinning at clubs and raves in L.A. are male. I think there are just as many women who can spin around here they just don't seem to want to display their skill as much. Though the first person I ever saw spinning (floro poi) was a female. She stood on the top of a hill in Golden Gate park dancing to the drumming circle. Her poi were blazing from the sun and she was such a magical site that I was obsessed in the next two days in a search for my own set of poi! As far as agressive spinning goes I agree with Clarkey in that everyone seems to spin faster when they are getting started. I think it is really easy to get caught up in the intensity of the pull they have on your body. I do disagree with the strenght issue though at least when it comes to poi. I have gotten about 6 of my female friends doing fluro poi and all of us started off wanting to always spin really fast and at first that was okay because we would all end up getting them twisted before we actually got tired. But after we got more skill with the heavier poi it would get so exhausting that we would end up having to stop and rest. This was all good for strenghtening but lousy for practicing since we could never seem to finish a sequence. We've all slowed down down and have dramatically inproved our skill and flow. We save the aggessive moves for photons and glowsticks which don't wear you out nearly as much. Alot of males have more strenght and endurence than females which means they can start spinnig fast and maintain that speed through the learning process. I've also noticed that I only see guys doing wraps. I have tried many times myself and it has to be the most painful move! I don't know maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyways, I'm glad their is diversity between the way people spin whether it is gender related or not. It makes things much more interesting and it helps preserve the novel

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
that last word was supposed to be novelty not novel.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Okay this is really weird... here in my country most of the girl Do "staff" but mens does pois... i always thought that the staff were more a girl thing lol well at least here =/ i have just saw one girl doing poi O_o a LOTTTTTTTSSSSSSSS of girls doing staff and many guys doing pois.... guess here its different...

Dance like if noone were watching you

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Humm this is a pretty cool subject, I personally feel that it's all in the style you have developed weather male or female, Some ppl like the idea of staffing some like poi, Me I've got both now and it's wonderful. I've got a totally aggesive style to my poi is was classified as "balls-out" Speed is a key element in my spins I enjoy getting both the poi and staff moving at top speed and flowing though everything I can think of at that speed. I have never meet anyone with a style anywhere near mine. And I also have yet to meet anyone with a staff however at the last event I was at I meet a wonderful girl who was full of energy and willing to learn the staff. So to put this out all the raving poi'ers I've meet have been male and all the flaming poi'ers I've run in with have been female, and the staff is 50/50 :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Good topic.I am the only person I know who does poi, and when I told the guy who got me into fire-stuff (he made my firestaff for me and told me how to look after it and get paraffin etc) he said "Oh but Poi are for girls!"Although later he admitted that poi were pretty cool he just couldn't do them for s**t...Incidentally, I live in London and I have never seen anyone glow poi'ing or glow staffing in any club anywhere... I was tempted to break out my fluoro poi at a club last night, but the bouncer was having none of it... bastard. Perhaps I go to the wrong clubs...? I admit I have never been to the Drome or any other place specifically for twirling.It's very rare here, actually, I think.------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!B l A c K i E

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
I currently spin with seven people, only one is female. and wont spin fire .I have noticed that we all spin a lot faster and more aggressive in style than she does. I dont think that poi is particlary feminine, I guess you could judge that by how a person moves whilst performing though?

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
For a long time (before I started doing it myself), the only poi twirlers I saw were women, and I thought of poi as a "chick thing." Now it seems to be about 50/50.When I started out, I tended to go really fast (though I wouldn't call it "aggressive"). I've changed quite a bit, and while I occasionally still go very fast, I usually go pretty slow (with some tempo changes along the way). I also find I get more compliments on my slow performances, which may reinforce the tendency to go slow.Staff seems to be about 50/50 as well. I do still think of batons and fire-fingers as "chick things."

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
so much has been said on this topic already... but of the many many twirlers I've seen I can't really agree that there is a difference based on gender - lots of different styles, yes... but I've seen lots of elfen boys leaping around so lightfooted and delicate (which I think many of you would define as "feminine") and equally women twirling with *huge* staves and looking very warrior-like & Amazonian (as well as the other way around too) I do think your personality comes out in your style, eg someone who lives in their head will (maybe) tend to be more mechanical & technical, whereas someone who oozes with heart will be able to flow into their bodies more... I guess between staff and poi, I find that staff can tend to look more masculine (?although I know lots of exceptions) and poi more "feminine" - in the sense that we're discussing here... and of distribution of twirlers in Brisbane at least... probably half/half male to female - and certainly many, many more staff twirlers than poi (although that tide is turning slowly too)...

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
i always saw at least here that staff are like chick thing... i havent saw many ppl doing poi here maybe like 10 guys and just 1 girl i good example of what i am saying is for example in the independence day of my country the 4 of november we got like a parade... there are many ppl of many schools with staffs and instrument on it and the ppl on the staff are like 95% girls and 5% mans... but dunno seems that is different in the other countries =/so i dunno about all this all i know im 100% man and i like to poi ;p[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 01 August 2001).]

Dance like if noone were watching you

Louismember
3 posts

Posted:
Well I am just now starting to meet up with the spinning population, but I was one of the only guys I met when I went to a gathering. Most everyone there spun poi, and were female. The males seemed to do other things, meteors, juggling and the such. Of my friends everyone spins a staff, one of two spin poi, and I use a whipchain as well. I will Say that of the guys I have seen, we spin poi a lot faster.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
A nice old thread to be bumped to the fore.

Meh

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
I guess that it depends on what effect you are trying to achieve in fire dancing, I reckon that poi requires more rythme than staff but shouldn't be considered "girly". I am quite keen to develop some more skill at poi twirling because the effects you can generate are much more smooth and flowing than most other disciplines. What do people think about devil Sticks in this regard??

Send us a line or two

For those of you who dig Quotes: be true, be real, be a cool cat and your fire shall burn bright through all of your experiences in life and in death

Stellamember
63 posts

Posted:
well i've noticed that whenever people want me to teach poi, that the guys tend to just aim for the speed of it all. Its quite humouous cuz they wind up whacking themselves that much harder, and usually in the rather sensitive areas. I have not seen that many, good spinners, in fact ive seen only two. and they were all (i mean both) women. But ive noticed that i like the more "agressive" style occassionaly. It looks more difficult so i get less responses of "that looks soooo easy, can i try?" i definately feel more realxed with the "flowy" style. As far as devil sticks, i dont know if ive ever seen really liquid styles. But the two guys i saw who were really good had some very fluid periods.

rocketfire_tothemoon@hotmail.com CARPE DIEM seize the day and you will never regret your actions

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
well i never knew about poi before i came up to sheffield last year and spiral showed me.
but as far as i've seen everyone, male or female, has a completely different style for spinning poi.
(i coudn't say about staffs coz i can't spin them for shit so i don't know the intricacies)

wherever you go, there you are.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I like this old thread

I'm with Mind Gap though. I'd never seen anyone spin staff or poi before PiP London and since going to London and Sheffield it's obvious that all styles are completely different. Some girls spin staff, some do poi, same for the guys. Some spin fast, some slow, some as a dance, some as a performance, or some very still and meditation-like. It's all spinning and It's all inspiration to me

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I thought you would like it honey.

Meh

the man behind the curtainmember
52 posts
Location: second star on the right and straight on till morn...

Posted:
to be honest for some reason i see them as femm. even though i do them. and i try to go slow i know a few guys who do it but it is mostly girls. but most of the guys who try and swing them fast and hard don't seem to know what they are doing.

may you travel far andlive in interesting times.unless you a bhuddist in which case i wish you nothing

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I just do the weave really fast - with the occassional double tuck turn.....

Meh

Page: