Page:
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
So, i posted this over on tribe but had no response frown not quite sure why, i was sure it was interesting.... tongue (mmmmm ego)

basically, i know that this has been partly covered in a few threads, but i think its worth a new one -

what sort of numbers and styles are there in each country? I've only done ones i've been to, and visited the scene a little. please feel free to add, comment, tell me i'm stupid, laugh, etc...

Scotland: maybe 400 who can spin more than a few things. maybe 10-20,000 altogether who've picked it up more than a couple of times....?
general style - some ubergeek, some total pagan hippy.

England: maybe 10-15,000 in cat A, 100,000 in catB
GS - london primarily static, leaning to juggling. several other major centres - bristol, guildford, leeds, manchester, southampton. Spinning meets in most smaller cities and lots of larger towns.

Wales: no spinning, only sheep and leeks wink

France: no idea on numbers. probably a little less than in England
Lots of fire breathers. very pattern based staff manipulation. lots of fluidity in both staff and poi (had danae to inspire, all those years ago)

Austria: similar number to scotland (simlar populations, but spinners more spread between cities)
Style - Ubergeek to Ubercheese. any country that can produce fenfire, Infire, Tirasaru, Solar and so many other performance troupes is slightly mental, if you ask me.

Spain - ????
never met any technical spinners from spain - all have been dreadlocked hippies enjoying their tool ubblol wink

Italy - ??????
similar, except i know 4 or five who definitely aren't (dreaddy hippies)

Germany - funnily enough i spent nearly a month in germany, at festivals, and met about 3 german spinners. i know loads of german jugglers though, and a few did come to uber, but not many....
syle? josh and entheogen are smooooooooth. Andy house is legendary. Max is a robot. Olivier is french wink anya is a goddess.

Ireland - growing number of spinners. similar to scotland, again
ronan/andy house spinning is very popular. lots of newbies so picking up internet style.

Australia- loads of spinners. probably approaching england numbers, i'd say
style? very, very dancy, really into fire, not so tricks based. more tricksy people with more internet use (i.e. recently) big meets in all major cities (sydney a bit slack). kyle is a style unto himself. nutter.

NZ - well, a bit different - not including maori? similar to Scotland numbers. including maori and people taught poi at school? wow. huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.
style? maori poi is incredible. and not in any way like what we call poi. as for general spinners? not highly technical, quite fluid. like australia lite wink lots of transient poi spinners - spherculist matt is there at the moment, which instantly puts their tech level up to 11, but lowers dancing to about 1.2 wink

where else have i been...

Finland - small spinning population
style - quite techy - lot of Antti and Tommi clones, lot of quite tribal spinning. well cool.

Poland - small spinning population relative to size, when compared to old 'western' europe countries.
not very technical, lots of 'ooooh fire' if you know what i mean. this could be out of date now, i haven't been there for 4 years.

switzerland: 5 spinners, and i think i can name them all...
stlye - clockwork, of course wink (aaaah. till, we love you)

right. i think i'm done. I won't comment on the US.... cause i'll get lynched ;o)

smiles

Rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
did you? I never saw it.

You need more descriptions of styles. Longer and more detailed and what not.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i did, after all the olive/you amusement. but it is part of a big, rambly, full of crap thread, so no surprises, really. I'll get round to a more detailed look at styles a bit later, when i've done some work....

tongue

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Seems like a wicked place to de-rail into nonsense and piss-taking.
Sweet.

Guildford:
Spinners - 50 tops, 8 regular.
Style - Generally rubbish, but very keen to heckle others. A combination of techy and dancey, taking the worst attributes of both. Generally prefer to sit and watch others spin than put the cider/spliff/both down and do it themselves.

Southampton:
Spinners - Lots. Unique in having over 98% of their spinners being gay.
Style - Almost as slack as Guildford. Some technicality involved, usually by visiting people. Dancey - but only because they're gay and the gays like a good dance. And they're all on drugs. Lots of drugs.

Northern Ireland - 2 spinners.
Style - Ponce-tastic, with vast amounts of smut.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
In Australia I think the style changes over the country as well. In Perth we have maybe a single talented local technical spinner. Our meets get 40-60 ppl with half or more slacking around.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
tongue

Muppet. (directed at Durbin!)

Actually, we have loads of poiple (primarily from workshops biggrin)

Probably about 100 altogether (admittedly, most of them are a bit slack and we get 6/7 regulars at fire gatherings).

And it's not smut. It's wiggling... there is a difference... primarily in my head smile

Unless you, Strugz or Meg visit... in which case, it's just gay.

x
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1177926617)

Getting to the other side smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
smutty wiggling! Sweet! Where do I sign up to sit down, drink cider and heckle? Faster with less control wiggling?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a Guildford spin meet to me.
Though the smut is of poor quality here.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hahahahah...

Durbin, you missed it on Saturday night...

Sitting by Lisa's heated pool in her castle, sun setting over Belfast, drinking vodka, smoking and watching three ladies wiggle.

Meg looks pretty wiggling. And in make-up biggrin

She should do it more often...

ubbangel

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
bit more on-topicness, please.....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oops.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I don't think we have a style in Edinburgh. We have like 5 local spinners of quality and then a bunch of hippies. And lots of passers through.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol what's "hippie-style"?

Poi seems to be globalising, I can't find a regional style, besides that "German-I-shall-stand-and-never-appear-like-dancing", in direct contrast to the "French-I-will-look-like-on-mushrooms-and-never-stand-still" style.... wink hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

ubblol what's "hippie-style"?

Not practicing enough to have a style.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

Italy - ??????
similar, except i know 4 or five who definitely aren't (dreaddy hippies)

ditto confused

Acciaio devil

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

what i said there, was that i know of about 5 italian spinners who are not 'hippy style' i'm sure there are more, but i just dont know them yet smile

incidentally i disagree with meg. for me, hippy style is

'just loving the flow, man' and 'i have no master, i learned 8 years ago from this guy'

ubblol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Most hippies I know have no flow, and haven't learnt anything in 8 years.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I'm a master of the international style of incredibly fast 3beat weave which amazes everyone!11!!!11!

smile

Though I think the rest of ya'll just stole it from us americans ubblol

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I used to be the master of the 'stream of consciousness/flinging it about very fast in every direction and hope for the best' - style (which inexplicably impressed a few seasoned spinners) then went on to learn tricks. Now I'm thinking of going back to the old style...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The US could be summed up in one word, Burningman. It is a melting pot of nationalities and it's poi style reflects that. US as a whole has all the styles even if you look at east coast vs west coast. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

I used to be the master of the 'stream of consciousness/flinging it about very fast in every direction and hope for the best' - style (which inexplicably impressed a few seasoned spinners) then went on to learn tricks. Now I'm thinking of going back to the old style...

This is truly the best way. Bluff your way to being a good spinner. wink

I could tell you why this is. But learning it yourself will be more fun I think.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Cody

The US could be summed up in one word, Burningman. It is a melting pot of nationalities and it's poi style reflects that. US as a whole has all the styles even if you look at east coast vs west coast. smile

While I agree that the US has many different styles, I wouldn't say that Burningman sums it up. Many spinners feel no desire whatsoever to go to BM.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well if you're going to get specific, then it's hard enough to sum up one persons style, nevermind one geographic locations style. Generally styles are as individual as the people that spin them. Of the 5 (or so) spinners I would care to mention in Edinburgh, they all have different styles.

I can copy styles pretty well, but that's not my style.

I think that made sense in my head.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
did anyone mention canada yet?
I think some usaers are either hippy or raver or belly dancer spinning
I want to go to BM but just to see what it's about, it sounds interesting but not a hippy to conservative to be a hippy :P

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
It depends on your school of thought. I have a hunch or theory that much of the poi boom that has occured in the US had it's roots in Burningman. Not to say all, but most got their start either at the event or from people who learned at the event.

I learned before ever going and my first time at BM was in 2000. There were only about 200 spinners then, now there are tens of thousands who at least own a set of poi IMHO

The proliferation of poi in the US is spearheaded by burning man, hows that. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I think it's more of a grassroots movement.

A lot of the kids I see spinning now learned from hippies and/or ravers living in their area. Then they go to burningman.

I know I got started in the candy-raver glowstringing movement wink

Some of the best spinners I know either don't even bother with Burningman or other communities outside their local ones or are total Burningman fanatics *cough Miss Sexiest Burner 2005 *cough

ubblol

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
neh
I suggest the tribal movement, raves, and myspace (I saw it on myspace, recalled Six Flags circus)
Though I suppose the tribal movement would be traced back to BM

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
I nor anyone that I spin with wants to go to or ever has been to burning man.

There is no one style in the U.S. either, every person you meet seems to have there own way they do it. It just depends on whom they picked it up/learned from. Then there style gets more complex as they get out and meet new people and see new things.

I personally picked it up from my current girlfriend who picked it up from Pagan Spirit Gathering which we go to every year. She bought her first set of practice poi from HoP smile So I guess someone was right about pagan hippies biggrin I am earth friendly but I am def not a hippie.

"Runs with Scissors"

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

its funny though; i can look at pretty much every spinner i've met, above the level of 'just learnt a few moves' and below 'innovative and cutting edge' and place where they have learnt, who they have learnt from, and what their philosophy of spinning is.... and (except where the teachers are very mobile) that usually ties them down to a place, or a circuit. is it not the same in the US?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... I can see what you mean there Rob...

For example my own style, as I see it:

Durbs, Bluecat, Simian and Drew.

Durbs was my first teacher. Bluecat made poi fun for me, rather than just making circles, and doing the odd trick. Drew taught me about clean spinning (inadvertently through the teachings of uber clean contact juggling), and Simian has taught me (quite) a few neat little tricks.

When I spin, I like to have a very clean posture, especially when moving around, and tend to make shapes with my body, and link things together in smooth movements that make sense, rather than simply deciding: I know, I'll throw this move in here... ubbidea

I like to change dynamics a lot, change things around, make it more visually pleasing. I like to use all of my space, not just stand still and do tricks in front of me (Which can be fun in it's own right, and is necessary when there isn't a lot of space to practice in. I reckon that this factor has greatly influenced the 'london style' of Spinning, but that's another discussion entirely. Or is it?)

Hmmm... This thread has been nice for me to analyse my own style... sorry if you didn't want to hear all this, but I'll post it anyway. I'm not 100% sure what the concrete goal of this thread is, but I like it anyway.

My spinning is very Thorburn. I blame you. tongue (But thanks wink ) I like geeky spinning, but I also like to move around a bit when i can. I like to make technical tricks look like I'm being silly, which i think helps avoid the audience getting bored with seeing difficult trick after trick.

Fire got boring for me a long time ago. To me, fire changes the purpose of spinning. when using fire, the focus of the spin is on the fire, not the spinner.

I suppose I could also say that my spinning style is greatly influenced by the Boogaloo style of dance. Taking the fundamentals of: Interesting shapes, mixing it up, and moving around, not getting bogged down with too much technical stuff, but not ignoring it either.

My learning has mainly taken place in Guildford, with Durbs, and at any opportunity I've had to have a silly session with Bluecat. Other than that, I have been learning on my own, and teaching others at university in Hull.

Since coming to Spain, I've had no one to teach. I've had no one to play with, other than some Poppers I've met here, so i have been concentrating a lot on learning to dance. I think that comes through in my spinning.

I wouldn't call myself innovative as such. An awful lot of my moves come from Rob or Durbs, I just add my own little flair in there, and play around a lot.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Malvern:

Absolutely swarming with spinners, except they're all hippies, and are always too stoned to practice or spin, so you only ever hear about them, never see them.

Only *HyperLight and myself actively spin, but that's because you feel a right pillock when you've got amazing LED poi, and everyone is looking at you, but you can only do 3 beat weave and butterfly.

Jon isn't a hippy, so he probably practices a lot more than me. While I am a hippy I never get stoned, so I do actually practice once in a while (I think if the other hippies find out about these things they might not let be be a hippy much longer).

If there's ever a weed drought, we'll get all the spinners in Malvern practicing, and they'll be better than everyone, until they find some more weed.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Page: