Page:
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
So, i posted this over on tribe but had no response frown not quite sure why, i was sure it was interesting.... tongue (mmmmm ego)

basically, i know that this has been partly covered in a few threads, but i think its worth a new one -

what sort of numbers and styles are there in each country? I've only done ones i've been to, and visited the scene a little. please feel free to add, comment, tell me i'm stupid, laugh, etc...

Scotland: maybe 400 who can spin more than a few things. maybe 10-20,000 altogether who've picked it up more than a couple of times....?
general style - some ubergeek, some total pagan hippy.

England: maybe 10-15,000 in cat A, 100,000 in catB
GS - london primarily static, leaning to juggling. several other major centres - bristol, guildford, leeds, manchester, southampton. Spinning meets in most smaller cities and lots of larger towns.

Wales: no spinning, only sheep and leeks wink

France: no idea on numbers. probably a little less than in England
Lots of fire breathers. very pattern based staff manipulation. lots of fluidity in both staff and poi (had danae to inspire, all those years ago)

Austria: similar number to scotland (simlar populations, but spinners more spread between cities)
Style - Ubergeek to Ubercheese. any country that can produce fenfire, Infire, Tirasaru, Solar and so many other performance troupes is slightly mental, if you ask me.

Spain - ????
never met any technical spinners from spain - all have been dreadlocked hippies enjoying their tool ubblol wink

Italy - ??????
similar, except i know 4 or five who definitely aren't (dreaddy hippies)

Germany - funnily enough i spent nearly a month in germany, at festivals, and met about 3 german spinners. i know loads of german jugglers though, and a few did come to uber, but not many....
syle? josh and entheogen are smooooooooth. Andy house is legendary. Max is a robot. Olivier is french wink anya is a goddess.

Ireland - growing number of spinners. similar to scotland, again
ronan/andy house spinning is very popular. lots of newbies so picking up internet style.

Australia- loads of spinners. probably approaching england numbers, i'd say
style? very, very dancy, really into fire, not so tricks based. more tricksy people with more internet use (i.e. recently) big meets in all major cities (sydney a bit slack). kyle is a style unto himself. nutter.

NZ - well, a bit different - not including maori? similar to Scotland numbers. including maori and people taught poi at school? wow. huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.
style? maori poi is incredible. and not in any way like what we call poi. as for general spinners? not highly technical, quite fluid. like australia lite wink lots of transient poi spinners - spherculist matt is there at the moment, which instantly puts their tech level up to 11, but lowers dancing to about 1.2 wink

where else have i been...

Finland - small spinning population
style - quite techy - lot of Antti and Tommi clones, lot of quite tribal spinning. well cool.

Poland - small spinning population relative to size, when compared to old 'western' europe countries.
not very technical, lots of 'ooooh fire' if you know what i mean. this could be out of date now, i haven't been there for 4 years.

switzerland: 5 spinners, and i think i can name them all...
stlye - clockwork, of course wink (aaaah. till, we love you)

right. i think i'm done. I won't comment on the US.... cause i'll get lynched ;o)

smiles

Rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubbloco so you're saying that the base of all our stylez belong to OZ? umm wink

Aaaaargh - in my case he'd even be correct! rolleyes *looks for escape hatch* but ... I DO have my own style! Only a few traces remained (like the kneeling palmspin in front of the princess)...
weavesmiley

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

ubbloco so you're saying that the base of all our stylez belong to OZ? umm wink

FireTom, go back and follow Kyle
wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bender

all your base are belong to oz style fire dancing.

ha ha ubblol ow my side hurts. i luv yooooo bender !!!!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think that perhaps for a period from around 1995-2002 there might have existed more distinct national divides because of the dominant influences - eg UK -> Indoor Juggling vs Oz -> Outdoor Psytrance and Confest (hippies the lot of em).

These days I think there would be more benefit in drawing the lines (if there is any benefit to drawing lines) between those with influences that are internet derived and those that are non-internet derived.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
North sweden here:

I guess my style is techy to the extent I do techy stuff to try to find things useful for my character/flow.

But if I had to talk for the majority of spinners up here, id' say we keep a decent level, and it's alot about the flow. The most common inspiration comes from various things, yoga and different dances as an example.

I would argue that i have a rave-dance background, so early on that is what inspired my movements. Now I've moved on to be inspired by anything beutiful, or that's what I'd like to think =)

biggrin

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mireneye

..... The most common inspiration comes from various things, yoga and different dances as an example.

I would argue that i have a rave-dance background, so early on that is what inspired my movements. Now I've moved on to be inspired by anything beutiful, or that's what I'd like to think =)

biggrin

See, individually, I think those kinds of things are what really influence individual spinners.

Like, I was never into the rave/dance thing. Those beats are fun and energetic at times, but I prefer a slightly slower and languid flow.

(mmm...a mix of the two, like Deep Forest, is always nice)

I have noticed that when Im dancing with poi, if I pause I am in various yoga positions. Its like a combination of continuous Sun Salutations, tai chi "pushing water" poses, and the like.

Those few spinners Ive met that do enjoy the rave scene are much more interested in faster spinning techniques.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about it the other day, and i'm really no good at it, but I have the ideas in my head, I think I lean more toward a modern dance feel but other people in my area are more raver with fast moves

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yeah, Trance-Beatz really breeds some Speedos... YAY for Couch-Lounge wink errm those who can do both...

Someonce said you could tell by ppls way to dance how they would "perform" whilst making love... would that be the same with spinning poi? umm wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
no definitely not

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:

Someone once said you could tell by ppls way to dance how they would "perform" whilst making love... would that be the same with spinning poi?

ubblol only if they're into some kinky bondage thing where they hit themselves while doing it: or what about the people who spin really fast with no control? sounds messy wink
EDITED_BY: LazyAngel (1180026596)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
i dont think i've ever seen two people spin poi the same.

everyones already an individual, and has an individual style. goes without saying, really.

yeah.

and there's always similarities, too. and perhaps more similarities exist between people who spin together often, as opposed to those who dont spin together at all.

but! two people who have never spun together before can still have lots of similarities. and people who spin together often may have lots of differences.

at the end of the day, its all poi, and its all good. everything stimulates progression of everything else.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:

Someonce said you could tell by ppls way to dance how they would "perform" whilst making love... would that be the same with spinning poi? umm wink

yeah I reckon there'd be something in that... clumsy vs poised, looking for approval vs going with the moment, *it's all about me* vs able to play with others, creative vs following rules etc. Will make me aware of chaps with small wicks who don't dip long enough to catch fire properly wink

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
i duno bout this anymore, i dont think my "style" is anything like any other irish spinners iv met tbh, sure it aint that great (only have just over a year of spinning under my belt) but i wouldnt consider myself to be locally similar to anyone..maybe i am, who knows...

SeoulLovernewbie
8 posts

Posted:
What about Asia?!?

I know Japan has a spinning culture, but do you know if any other Asian countries do? I am planning on going to Korea this summer and fall and was wondering if people knew folks there?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Goin to be beijing to meet some chinese spinners in late June, so I'll keep you posted! wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
Here in Denver the scene is getting bigger much faster, I have seen at least twenty people who know what they are doing. Its 95% influenced by rave culture, but we have poi at the park now in Denver every Sunday smile
YAY! bounce ubbrollsmile bounce2

matty390GOLD Member
71 posts

Posted:
the guys that ive seen in the uk tend to be at extremes,
uber techy or just plain hippy peace.
id like to say im somewhere in between.shrug
im influenced by the rave scene a lot so im into some of the fast stuff but i like slowing it down too,
and going between both comes out with a nice effect:D,
sort of adds another dimension to it.
ive taken a lot from other things like juggling, staff and contact,which i think helps a lot with my flow
lately ive been putting a lot more dance into my spinning too but still trying to put the techy stuff in there.
so far as ive seen theres no one that spins the same way as me and im damn glad!!

YAY for individuality biggrin bounce2 clap bounce biggrin

nomadicspinnerSILVER Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
I agree with Cody. Burningman has had such an influence on the spinning style of the US that even if one has never been to anything that even resembles Burningman, the melting-pot of circle loving artists still has an influence on the style that is evolving throughout the country.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
according to meenik we brits are the techy geek masters of the world

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
How about South America? I've only been to Peru, but it was so interesting to see the range of styles there:

Mancora (beach resort in the north) - full-on hippie spinning with much "oooh fire!",... though there was this one guy juggling clubs on a giraffe so I shouldn't criticise

Lima (capital and home of Peru's only circus school: La Tarumba) - Awesome! Lots of jugglers and spinners as well as mimes, gymnasts and lots of other performers. Every night in Lima you find performers at traffic lights doing their bit when the lights are red and then going round asking the drivers for money - not very lucrative I can tell you, but they are really really good!

But anyway, general style: Varied: kids from the jungle spin in a techy but very dynamic and dancy way.

Limean jugglers and spinners are more polished and slick (many are from the circus school) though they still retain a very dance-oriented feel. Yuta and Meenik are big influences as are you Rob wink

the7thfollowerSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
i havent met that many spinners in CA. but the ones i do all have different styles. a lot of it seems to come from the rave scene (a lot of my style comes from glowsticking.) i have seen a lot of hippies and pagans though......

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
 Written by: the7thfollower

i havent met that many spinners in CA. but the ones i do all have different styles. a lot of it seems to come from the rave scene (a lot of my style comes from glowsticking.) i have seen a lot of hippies and pagans though......

There are a ton of spinners in california!!!

many are rubbish, a lot of performance based stuff, and a few well versed tech spinners.

more spinners here than anywhere else in the country.

its pretty much all from burning man

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... No one at home, fairly large hippy and drum circle bunch (pretty decent though) at university though. Comes from being a liberal arts varsity I guess.

This is in South Africa. Anyone else know more about it?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Bernie_FlameSILVER Member
Poi junkie
75 posts

Posted:
lot's of communities have similar styles because they learn from others around them. I am proud to say that I have my own style and this is true for 2 other spinners in my area, because we had no-one to teach us and so we had to work it all out for ourselves. We finally got together last year and by this point i had been spinning 3yrs. I now only look to others for inspiration rather than to directly immate them; hopefully this will make my style unique. Also, i feel that Dance and presentation are important factors to consider, which people either have or do not have in their performances. Some people know all the so called 'techy stuff' but have no idea how to perform- but thats just how i see it rolleyes

man who go bed with itchy bum wake up with smelly finger!

CyrikBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
"Poland - small spinning population relative to size, when compared to old 'western' europe countries.
not very technical, lots of 'ooooh fire' if you know what i mean. this could be out of date now, i haven't been there for 4 years."

wow Rob - I didn't know you were here wink

as far as I know we got lots of spinners - something abotu 2000 , but there are 20-30 tops who can do isolations, hyperloops etc.
people why have their own style is even less.

poi in Poland is getting just a little bit more pro

our style - most of people - whoa - it's burning (as Rob wrote) - it's still the most frown - 3 bit, weave and stuff - some are starting to learn isos and loops and flowers , but people who mix trics - not many of them

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
 Written by: splinterific

i duno bout this anymore, i dont think my "style" is anything like any other irish spinners iv met tbh, sure it aint that great (only have just over a year of spinning under my belt) but i wouldnt consider myself to be locally similar to anyone..maybe i am, who knows...

right time to take this back, iv started spinning with rob (bluecat and tir na nog) - spec(colour) and my style has totally changed.. starting to get like the rest of the irish now rolleyes

mike_jugglesSILVER Member
Controversial Penguin
8 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

well if you're going to get specific, then it's hard enough to sum up one persons style, nevermind one geographic locations style. Generally styles are as individual as the people that spin them. Of the 5 (or so) spinners I would care to mention in Edinburgh, they all have different styles.

I can copy styles pretty well, but that's not my style.

I think that made sense in my head.

I agree. Some moves may be more used in some locations, but for the most part the style reflects the person that's spinning, not the location! Although, under the leg and tangles seem to be pretty popular in the u.s., and I'm pretty big on them myself....

I dunno. Styles are constantly changing anyways, as people practice more and new moves are invented! weavesmiley

If you wanna push then I'm ready to push, but if you're pullin' while I'm pushin' then why'd you ask me to push?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
but isnt a style somewhat separate from the moves themselves?

I have to admit, I have stopped going to the gatherings where Im at. Its more because my baby is almost here, but there was a certain lack of motivation on my part to attend because the style of spinning I saw by most others (with experience) was using very little footwork and turning. The styles were based on 5bts and butterweaves with sudden bursts of frenzied speed. I think it may have to do with the rave culture that many of those folks are involved in. Close quarters with light trails being a pre-eminent concern.

I have a pretty large living area and a good space in my backyard to spin. I also work primarily with socks and occasional chains. So, long arm, turning, hybrids, and such are more my interest. I am not performing so much for an audience who sees light patterns, so I concern myself with exercises in inversions, tangles, and throws. Because of that, I find myself more inspired by other spinners like Mireneye, Burning Dan, Thomas Johannson, and Greg Maldonado. I can find more of a connection with those people (whom I've never met) than with the ones in my immediate vicinity.

I guess what Im getting at is that stylistically, one person's hyperloop can be very different from another's, but it has a lot of input from the type of arena that spinner practices their art within.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: squid

but isnt a style somewhat separate from the moves themselves?

Hmmm, interesting comment.

I have been intentionally (with Bluecat) active to bring more technique and technical spinners to Oz, with the Uber thang, and it has definitely had an effect. Have noticed a change here over the last 2 years or so, with different moves becoming popular. Eg more technical, small scale, intricate combinations of short poi antispins with nutty stalls... yep... Yuta's been here! wink

The moves are different.. the tricks if you like.. and that has meant I see a lot more people standing in one spot concentrating on precision... then adding that loose Oz movement into it with the kinds of turns.. the general attitude... so it adds to being our style with different moves.

It;s gonna be interesting to add Bastl with the Fenfire *how to do an entire fire show in straight lines* influence!

Another interesting style thing I've seen in Oz is male persons who do fans. (Hi Bender wave Hi Brenn wave )

The movements are much stronger and definite, with dramatic stalls, and a lot of variation in rather than the vague wavey circle based stuff I had seen girls do before. I've only ever seen one woman do fans that I thought were interesting, and that was Archana in Germany.

Page: