Forums > Meet Others > Travelling through America/Canada, need to meet people!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Avzmember
38 posts

Posted:
Hello there everyone,

I'm from Melbourne Australia and am planning on going on a trip through Canada/US at the end of this year, from like the start of December to possibly the start of February.

I was a spinner in Melbourne on Sunday nights until I started working on Sunday nights and it just made it harder and harder to get in, mainly working with staff but experimenting with poi, although only very basic.

I'm looking to meet some people over there during this time to show me the sights and just someone to hang around and have fun with. I'll leave a rough list of the places I may be heading too so please drop me a line if you would be happy to catch up and show me the sights of your fine city. I'm not so much interested in meeting you because you are a fire spinner, but moreso because I know how friendly the Home Of Poi community is world wide, and its something I would love to experience.

Los Angeles or San Francisco

Vancouver

Calgary

Montreal

Buffalo

Denver

Las Vegas

There will probably be other places that I will come through so my trip isn't just specific to these places, although they are what I would like to see.

I already know someone in London Ontario that I will be spending a fair bit of time with, and we are doing Toronto and Detroit.

Now I'm not necessarily looking for a place to stay, more so someone that could just show me how to have fun in their corner of the world biggrin

Please leave a message here if there is anything else you want to know about me or just anything to do with this trip whatsoever, I would love to hear from you.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
you're coming to the US and not coming to NYC? eek

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Avzmember
38 posts

Posted:
I haven't really put that much thought into staying in New York I was thinking more of a day trip kinda thing, I guess its something that I need to see, but yeah, as I said this is all up in the air, I'm just trying to figure things out at the moment.

So was that just a OMG u freak post, or if I come to NY would you be happy to give me a little tour biggrin

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
more midwest stuff

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
re avz: bitta both innit wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
I won't be in Calgary in the winter (yay, africa!) but I can say that calgary does have a good community of spinners (check out the canada forum, calgarians seem to be dominating these days) & couchsurfers ( https://www.couchsurfing.com/group.html?gid=1415 )which are always happy to help show strangers around....or at least take them to a pub...haha....

Avzmember
38 posts

Posted:
Faithinfire, what do you mean by more midwest stuff, got to remember that I don't understand what all these classifications really mean tongue

fNi: Thank you very much, I'll let you know what my plans are, and let you know if I intend on staying in New York, I thinks its something I really need to see, but don't know if its worth staying there for, if you get me :S

Sassy: TYVM for the info and I'll go have a squiz there and see what people have to say, do you know people that do the couch surfing thing or you have just heard of it or what, gimme the info please?

Much appreciated from you all, hope to hear from you and more people soon!!!

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
I'm in Calgary...I'll be here well, forever. Hoping to have a couple roommates by September, but if I don't have a room, I definately have a couch with your name on it. ubbtickled

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
Avz,
I've done a bit of couchsurfing, just fell into it while hitching. I'm a memeber on the calgary forum (though, really not the most active one, I'm a hermit what can I say). From the meet-ups I've gone to though, there are some really interesting people in the CS community. If you got any questions about it-don't be afraid to email me-i think my address is on the profile
Another thing to check out if it so pleases:
Velocity Motion Werks Circus Studio
Since there's not much spinning in Calgary in the cold-they welcome poi, and I've gone with my staff to the juggle jams juggle...some other fun props there to...fun shows..though there are proably many more interesting circus schools in the world-this is the only one in calgary....and I think it does well....

3,556 posts

Posted:
Mid·west (md-wst) KEY or Middle West

A region of the north-central United States around the Great Lakes and the upper Mississippi Valley. It is generally considered to include Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska. The area is known for its rich farmlands and highly industrialized centers

Milwaukee, Wisconsin things to do

Milwaukee Public Museum (mpm.edu)

Milwaukee Art Museum (mam.org)

Milwaukee County Zoo (milwaukeezoo.org)

Mitchell Park Conservatory (www.uwm.edu/Dept/Biology/domes)

Summerfest (https://www.summerfest.com/)

International Clown Hall of Fame

Then of course we have Chicago and the fantasitic Chicago Art Museum and the Shedd Aquarium, St. Louis with the Arch, Minneapolis (well, I don't know that much about it)

I think that South Dakota is midwest area and Mt Rushmore is there, and then, you'll be close to Denver. And if you have time and want to see something really cheesy you can stop by Wall Drug (walldrug.com)

And of course there is the Black Hills themselves

See there is a lot to do bounce

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Avzmember
38 posts

Posted:
Wow thanks for the replies again tongue

Faith: I understand that its probaly an awesome area to visit, and each city/state has soemthing to offer but on the short time frame I'm going over there for I gotta try and see what I want to see on a small budget so I will miss out on alot of the area, which is kind of a shame. I don't know if I will get a chance to see all of that stuff, but thank you for the information anyway.

Blayze: Thank you very much for the offer, I'll try to let you know what dates I'll be around there and if you are still happy to help me out then just let me know. tongue

Sassy: Cheers for the info again, I'm not sure how much I will be able to do in the short time I'm there!!! But all this info is good to know so I never have a dull moment over there tongue

3,556 posts

Posted:
*sigh*
*sings* i'm lonely...oh, so lonely
oh well

Faith

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
Denver eh? I'll be in Denver around that time, definately hit me up! BTW you'll love it here, just remember to dress warm, and if you ski/snowboard, Copper Mountain is one of the best wink

Avzmember
38 posts

Posted:
Oooo nice thank you for the tip, Yeah I'm thinking of dropping by through there but not certain yet, I'm a massive Avalanche fan, thats where the name comes from so I'd love to see a game.

To be honest I think I would love snowboarding but have never really been able to try it, no snow here and just never got around to going somewhere where it is.

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
You gonna come visit me when I'm working in the mountains all winter?!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks