Page: ......
newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
!! NOW !!

sunny 2UberOz sunny

the second Australian Uber Event....Fri 24 - Sun 26 August 2007

sunny Where?

2UberOz will be held in Brisbane, Australia.

At a large airy school rec hall that opens onto playing fields, with cosy social space at the scout hall next door. Plenty of camping/van space. 15mins from city centre, a few mins from rail, bus, shops etc.

sunny Who? What?

Teachers so far include:

**YUTA** (Tokyo poi ninja) with his partner, Asuka, a trained contemporary dancer

**Dave Knox(ious)** (FlameOz etc...)

**aBlazin' Grace Billings** (FlameOz & Beijing Circus school!)

**Kyle McLean** (www.everyoneishappy.com) with a slithery team of contact movers and groovers

**Matt 'Wibbler' Terry** (Sphercular Vision)

**madjuggling Mark Douglas** (Sydney Juggling Convention)

** Davy Sampford (Circa)

** Trickswap sessions on hoops, contact juggling, etc hosted by participants

sunny clap YAY clap sunny

As well as Uberclasses in poi, staff and other juggly toys... there will be a strong theme around movement, choreo and self expression. Lots of seriously fun group movement sessions, interactive VJing and party time so come on up/down/over/under for a wicked weekend.

sunny how much?

Prices range from

$ AUD 120

to

$ 50,000 at the door (we want you to pre reg...)

Price includes camping, workshops, fuel. Also, yummy lunches, to save you time, money and energy. biggrin

sunny Booking

PM me with your email address and I will send you a rego form directly.

More info is at the UberEvents website

See you there!

ubbrollsmile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Detergentising my long staff and doubles will be my weekend activity smile my poi won't be a problem as they're still virgins ubblol

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

hazingtonjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
Im officially excited, everyone whose spoken to me in the last month knows where im going in just over a week....yay
Gabe, josh bumped in to karyn today and got the low down about her back...so i'll be on the phone 2moz to talk her into coming i understand where shes coming from but pain is no excuse not to attend uber...
im so excited and i cant wait to put some faces to the names. i am a little ashamed i havent really got any better since woodford....redfaceguilty as charged hopefully matt terry will give me the kick in the butt i need...lol see you all very very soon.
if anyones really stuck for a tent our tents got two sections and your welcome to use the second. smile

Living is loving & Loving is Living
yet
Lying is Dying &
Dying can be Lying if you let it...

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
haha,

*Consider your butt kicked*

Really getting excited now, i fly out on wednesday, lots to do before i go tho.

Just got a load of great fire rope from HOP and am figuring out a nice new firepoi design plus a new set of glow poi, the new stripy white n black socks, very very cool. But i've given them to Bex, maybe she'll let me borrow them.

Any requests for workshops from me? I'm thinking about doing a 'structure of poi' class. I kinda did that at woodford and people responded really well to it. I think it just helped people to see where all the different stuff fits into the big picture.

How many people would be up for a very geeky, advanced tangles workshop? I've been itching to do one for years but usually do a beginners tangles class instead. I've also just today found a really nice way to teach one of the key concepts.

What else, i guess a wibbly workshop, but my wibbley poi aren't looking too healthy right now.

Inversions?

Antispin weaves?

More box plane stuff?

I'm open to offers.

Can't wait to see you all again,

Hugs,

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
you know... I've been SOOO slack in my HoP-whoring duties that I almost forgot that 2uberoz was coming up...!!

luckily I've had a bit of renewed motivation to spin lately, so hopefully I won't suck too bad when it gets here...!!

hey gabe... the flyer had, I think, a couple names from circa on it... what sort of things are they going to be workshopping *listens with interest*... or am I pre-empting a still in-progress programme...?

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

hey gabe... the flyer had, I think, a couple names from circa on it... what sort of things are they going to be workshopping *listens with interest*... or am I pre-empting a still in-progress programme...?

I am hoping to send out an email with the timetable and other info tomorrow. I've been up to my ears planning Woodford today, or it would have been tonight!

The person from Circa is Davy Sampford, one of the juggling teachers. smile

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
yeah matt... i would love to do advanced tangeles... but im not very good yet... good way to teach a key concept is allways good... as for requests... as you may have noticed i have atteneded your workshops at uber poi uber oz and common ground... so how about ground breaking new blow my mind give me years of insiration type thing ubblol maybe a bit on box and flatened weaves? but i know you did boxes at unouberoz... i think maybe running the advanced tangles workshop... even if alot of people dont get it its inspiring and i know even a year after uber poi i was still catching up on workshops i didnt understand... *looks at arashi* *still doesnt know what the hell a crane is?!ummand well its supposed to be an even for the best stuff you can find around which is why im spending as much as i am for one weekend... that and all the people... but they come too me for CG anyways biggrin biggrin...

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Cool, well i'll see if I can figure out a way to open up the tangles class to intermediates, probably won't be much begginer stuff in there but personally even when i'm a beginner at stuff i like to hear about crazy advanced stuff.

I think it all soaks in somewhere, then when I'm exploring stuff a year or so later, little things start to make sense, and I seem to figure things out for myself.

The way tangles work also explains a whole load of stuff about weaves and 'degrees' of twist and all that good stuff. Which would be good for beginner/intermediate, the time when you stop thinking so much about beats and start thinking about the twistiness.

Brett, that's pretty impressive that you've been at so many of my workshops, spanning 1,000's of km and about 3 years, are you stalking me? Haha, just kidding. I was blown away when I saw your spinning at uberOz, awesome stuff.

Matt

ps, i think a crane is same direction, same time, same plane spinning. Start spinning in time, then bring 1 hand across so both are in wall plane.

larvalablocita
20 posts

Posted:
So just thought I'd share my flaming airport experience with y'all. Just so you can understand the risk involved in travelling with the fire tools and perhaps take the necessary precautions to make it into the air without the whole airport accusing you of about to burn a city down!
Ok, I'm being dramatic for effect, but I have your attention now don't I?
So back in 2006 Rainbow serpent, I travelled down from Sydney to Melbourne via Virgin Blue... I had just brought a new contact staff and it hadn't even been burnt yet. It was in a clean carry bag and honestly no smell of fuel, nothing. The lovely crew at check in asked me what was inside. I think I told them fire staff... My first very green mistake!!!! Never ever mention the word fire!!! They freaked! They asked me to open the bag and then proceed to tell me I wouldn't be allowed to travel with this 'dangerous object'! So they confisciated it from me. As you can imagine I was very distressed by this and but also had to leave to make my flight so couldn't do anything about it but leave it with them. They told me that I could pick it up on my return. A lie! On return, they had informed me that goods left behind were thrown out after a couple of days! So yeah, basically they apparently threw a brand new staff into the dumpster! After that I swore that I would never fly Virgin Again...
That was until I went to Cairns early this year in March.
My partner Dean and I decided that we would get some double contact staffs made so we could play up in cape trib... So we found a wicked lil' shop with an awesome dude to make us some.... We decided that we weren't too worried about getting them back to Sydney as long as we had some play toys for our trip we didn't care. We did decide in the end that we wouldn't light them up just in case and try and get them through the airport anyway.
So before we were set to sail the air we did some searching around Cairns and some brainstorming for packaging ideas. We thought if we could somehow disguise them, this would help our mission.
Then before our eyes, magic happened...
In the form of a Didgeridoo shop and a cardboard box with Didgeridoo and FRAGILE written up the side, that is made for Didgeridoo air travel and of course perfect for fire staffs! So 'wrapped in plastic' bubble wrap and a cardboard box saved our sticks from a trip to the dumpster!
Honestly, no questions what so ever! Needless to say, I've travelled Virgin again!

Hope this story helps...

Can't wait to meet you all in QLD soon with my musical boxes of 'circus equipment'!!!!

Fire n peace,

x Julethief

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Good point, Jules. Using the word 'fire' to airline staff is generally not a good idea. wink It's a bit like saying 'terrrorism aid' ubblol But hey, if there is no fuel on it, it is not a fire staff. It is a hunk of metal/wood and fabric. No fire anywhere. No more flammable than a walking stick. (In fact, Aussie customs, as opposed to airline staff, are more concerened about the WOOD factor.)

A biggish parcel that doesn't look like normal luggage can also be described as sports equipment, pole dancing gear, juggling equipment, dance props, fitness equipment. Fishing rod bags are excellent for staffs, with little pockets for poi and clubs etc already built in. This time of year, loads of people carry ski bags on planes that look exactly like staff bags. A few years ago we described a huge bag of staff, juggling clubs etc as sports equipment and were given an extra 10kg luggage allowance, as that particular (international) airline allowed extra for skis. hug

A few years ago some friends tried to take some stuff that was insanely smelly on a Virgin international flight; they had used kero, not washed it. When it was refused passage due to the smell they nominated me as someone who could pick it up for them. The really insane thing was that it was confiscated in Sydney, and Virgin FLEW the stuff to Bris so I could pick it up. They said for them it was an issue with making other passengers luggage smell on a normal flight.

Anyway, there are plenty other threads on HoP about this topic... but the original question here was about fire fans, in an ordinary suitcase. I have never been asked what was in a suitcase.. Only if there are any dangerous goods; travelling with used but washed gear, I can honestly answer 'no'

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

personally even when i'm a beginner at stuff i like to hear about crazy advanced stuff.

I think it all soaks in somewhere, then when I'm exploring stuff a year or so later, little things start to make sense, and I seem to figure things out for myself.

that exactly sums up uberpoi for me... i figured out arashis inside and outside atomics after the last commonground... which was somthing like two years later... and yes matt i am stalking you... i mean why not? when you say saw me at uberoz do mean CG06? but yeah that whole out of my legue uber poi thing... i could weave and thread the needle at uber poi... i think i could behind the back weave as well oh and buzz saw.. so about half the time ididnt get what was going on but that made it soo much better... maybe i should take a spontaneous poi matrix workshop... cos we all need the poi matrix... sorry i have been talking to pete while writing this so i havent made a point yet... i guess it is blow peoples minds cos beginners get alot from going to advanced workshops... probably more than they do from going to beginers ones... and thanks for the inversions matt i have been playing with some nerd stuff with them and really gave me a new place to look for new movements grouphug *mumblestoopidairlinemumble*

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Gabe, Just letting you know Adrian is comming in case you missed the PM. By the way were can I cheaply get a 1.2M fire staff in Brisbane on Friday morning thats also near public transport

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Gooble Warming Vulture St West End?If they don;t have one, phone Three Worlds and order one they can bring up for you.

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Or I can bring one from gooble with me to Uber Oz ...

send me a pm if you like smile

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I misread that and thought you were bringing a 12 metre staff.... whoops!

Kupo!

larvalablocita
20 posts

Posted:
eekDon't want the rain on our parade!!!!
Thought you might like to know how the weather fares...

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland

Brisbane Forecast
Issued at 5:00 am EST on Tuesday 21 August 2007

Warning Summary
A Severe Weather Warning for dangerous surf and damaging winds is current.

Forecast for Tuesday
Fine at first. Squally showers developing during the day. Moderate W to SW winds
at first. Fresh to strong S to SE winds developing during the day, with damaging
winds developing about the bay and higher terrain.

Precis: Showers developing, windy
City: Max 19
Bayside: Max 19
UV Index: 5 [Moderate]

Wednesday Windy, showers or rain periods Min 15 Max 19
Thursday Windy, showers Min 14 Max 19
Friday Few showers Min 14 Max 22
Saturday Mostly fine Min 15 Max 23
Sunday Fine Min 13 Max 22
Monday Fine Min 13 Max 23

Since I'm Sydney based perhaps Gabe can you let us know how it is really is there at the moment?
x

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Rain? In Brisbane?

LIES! ubblol

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

larvalablocita
20 posts

Posted:
Whew! I was hoping someone would say that!!! cool cool cool cool
" I wear my sunglasses at night, so I can so I can..."
la la la can't remember the rest of the lyrics???

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hmm will make a valiant attempt to bring my core toys to uberoz. I wasted heaps of time during very technical workshops last year adjusting to other peoples' toys and asking for toys.
if mine get confiscated, i'll be in need of fire fans and short doubles this weekend smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Staves are washed and odourless. The lovely Ed is letting me borrow his fans for the festival smile

Purchasing a hard fishing rod case this afternoon to contain my toys smile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

Rain? In Brisbane?

LIES! ubblol

Tell that to my three loads of washing that just got SOAKED!!!! eek

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Rain? In Brisbane?

LIES! ubblol

frown

*runs to Newgabe's abode and turns the hose off*

wink

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Rain? In Brisbane?

LIES! ubblol

Tell me about it gabe...Seemed so sunny this morning it seemed like a good idea at the time to leave everything on the line to dry (again)...looks like mother nature had very different ideas though.

Wooooo uberoz is so close!

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey Bender, you coming to 2uberOz then? That's awesome smile

I totally agree that noobs learn lots in advanced classes.

I learned 2 diabolo really quickly after watching all the mad french posse play at EJC, even tho at the time i could hardly spin 1.

SO it looks like i'm gonna be hosting 2 workshops on saturday, 1 morning and 1 afternoon. Then spin doctors on sunday, and i'll be helping out with a bit of juggling with Mark.

But i'm thinking that my first class will be a broad over view of how I see the structure of poi. Good ways to look at it all, how to mentally place all the crazy bits n pieces you've learnt into a coherent structure.

Seems like an hour will be a really swift look at it all and i'm not wanting to get bogged down too much with the basics - but then for the second class in the afternoon i'd really like to get everyone to 'use' this structure to come up with totally 'new moves'. I'm thinking i'll split everyone up into groups, get each group to brainstorm and i'll go around helping everyone, then do a bit of a show and tell at the end.

I guess the goal of the classes is to help everyone teach themselves. I realise that some people won't take too well to this kind of class but i'm hoping some people will find it really helpful. Also everyone breaks poi down completely differently. But hopefully i'll be able to give you the tools to figure out the structure that works best for you.

Gotta run, any thoughts about my workshop plan?

Oh yeah, a solid structure is really helpful when you start playing with staff, or diabolo or whatever else, cos there's so much cross over between it all.

m

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
It's raining and not 100% warm right now....however I am currently in a t-shirt. Just be prepared for all weather I reckon....

Re fire equip on planes etc... wash 'em, glad warp 'em, bin bag 'em and anyone who gives you cr@p - let them know that they are not in anyway combustible and that if someone can light them you will accept full responsibility. Dan Pyroptix has written a post about this somewhere....

see y'all this weekend!

smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

...noobs learn lots in advanced classes...
I guess the goal of the classes is to help everyone teach themselves.

SOunds good to me.
Plus I really liked your counting tangles session idea.'
We've been clear with all the people coming that this is NOT beginners weekend... tis intermediate to advanced...Probably the closest thing to an exception to that is Mr Om's contact juggling, cos lots of people have never had the chance to actually learn it. Everyone;s too busy going aaaaaaaaaah ubblove

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I am now in possession of:
Sock poi, tail poi, virgin fire poi
Long meteor, heavy meteor
About 6 juggling balls (though I can barely do three)

All coming up for fun!

Kupo!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
wooh! bounce only 3 more sleeps!! biggrin

one thing though...

IF YOU NEED A LIFT FROM THE AIRPORT (i.e. you're getting in really late or early or have way too much stuff to lug around) - PM ME PLEASE ASAP!! biggrin (sorry to shout, but y'know, this is happening really soon! ubblol )

& if you are getting the train from the airport to 2uberoz & still have a bit too much gear to lug around random brisbane suburbs, please pm me! biggrin

if you would like to lug said gear around, please check out the map that i'm sure gabe sent in an email or posted here...& maybe pm me or gabe for phone numbers in case you get completely lost! ubblol

if you would like to volunteer for quick drives to the train station from 2uberoz to pick up people, please pm me!

having said that - if you have my phone number & are getting in on thursday, please don't call me before 5pm! i still have to work & will be packing up the office to move so i might not hear my phone anyway!! biggrin i will be around at 2uberoz before 6pm on thursday though!

*phew* i think that's all! biggrin

bounce

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
....and fruit bats and breakfast cereals biggrin

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

larvalablocita
20 posts

Posted:
I can hardly wait to leave smelly stinky pollution filled sydney and come to my birthplace again!!!
Hope the air is fresh... I'm in desperate need of revitalizing!
I'm flying in tomorrow morning early... gonna just hang out and see where the wind takes me for most of the day... Anyone gonna be around in the day?
Or anyone got any ideas of what there might be to do?... Any good coffee shops?

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
larva: I'll be in Brisbane around 5pm, hope to be on the 2uberoz grounds between 6 and 7pm smile

By the way, will there be Swimming Pool tomfoolery this year? biggrin
EDITED_BY: Brenn (1187753215)

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

Page: ......