Forums > Social Chat > Iraq - make art not war

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I find it hillarious - some ppl seem to live on a different planet and I deeply adore the way art breaks through the concrete (hearts and minds), like grass cracking the pavement.

Blast wall art in Baghdad

Non-Https Image Link

Written by: USA Today

By Zaid Sabah, USA TODAY

BAGHDAD — When he sees the concrete walls springing up all over Baghdad, Baquir al-Sheik doesn't think of violence. He sees an open canvas.

Al-Sheik is leading a team of 40 artists who are painting a half-mile stretch of protective walls with murals of colorful desert landscapes and proud moments in Iraqi history. If the walls are necessary to protect buildings from truck bombs and insurgents, they can at least be beautiful, al-Sheik says.

Humans are simply an amazing kind... for once the US is adding an amazingly beautiful facet to the war in Iraq - and exporting US cultural heritage I really admire... Graffiti

devil ubbidea ubbangel

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
It is amazing how, through all the darkness in the world, pin holes of light always seem to shine through. The best way to live your life is carefree as you can possibly be. I offer a cheers to creativity, past, present, and hopefully future. beerchug

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
they had this on the news the other night..very cool

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
this particular siting for art is fantastic. its been done a few times before in similar circumstances but i cant for the life of me rember my who.
theese paintings are beautiful and provide and obscure window away from war looking at the beauty the world can portray if allowed to do so.

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Dunno - maybe you are referring to the Berlin wall?

It's true - I guess - blur out as much as necessary and be aware as much as possible, to stay in sanity wink

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I think banksy did something kind of similar with the wall used to seperate the israelis and palestinians (if I remember right)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
yeah thats the on i was thinking of.... Bansky... it was on the news a while back!

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
wow - I have seen his pictures in Eivissa/ Ibiza.... never knew it was him... great art

Thanks guys!!!!!

Non-Https Image Link