AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Just wondered what people thought of the use of chain vs the use of cable poi(in terms of speed and tricks).... smile

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
There was a thread about this a few days back...... I was trumpeting the benefits of cable then... but after hearing what Adam had to say, I went out and made a set out of ball chain poi.After using all three:I would say dog chain = frownCable = smileBall Chain = grin

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I'm a huge fan of cable. I find that my cable poi move faster and are more true than my chain poi.By true, I mean that the poi stay in the plane that I want them to. Chain has more flex, is not as rigid and moves around more. It's just a lot looser than cable.Some of you may prefer this.... not me.Cable all the way smile

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
There is place in the world for both cable and chain!Advantages of cable: incredibly light, cheap, strong, does not tangle often and untangles easily.Disadvantages of cable: requires a tool to crimp the ends, not easily adjustable for length. I have read that some people complain of kinking, but I have not found this to be the case.Advantages on chain: Easily adjustable for length on-the fly, chain can be wrapped arround your hand while spinning to vary the length, and most importantly chain has this very primal, visceral feel to it compared to cable.Disadvantages of chain: Heavy, expensive, and sometimes difficult to locate. The *only* chain that I have found to be acceptable is choke chain, and I have yet to find a source for this stuff in quantity on a spool. Do not use any chain that is not welded or rated at less than 75 lbs test.Note that heavy chain is not a disadvantage if you want a really good workout!The first fire wicks I ever spun were chain, and I immediately noticed the tangle problem. The first wicks I made were cable, and I was a big champion of cable after that. Since then I have come to appreciate chain in addition to cable and while I do not have any chains at the moment, I hope to soon.I will, however, recomend that anyone just getting started with fire go with cable. The weight and tangle issues will make things much easier. However, once you are comfortable with cables, you really owe it to yourself to at least try chains.BTW, does anyone know a good source for choke chain by the spool? I've checked *everywhere* locally and completely struck out.-p.

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
CABLES CABLES CABLES CABLES CABLES CABLES CABLES CABLES!!!!!!Chains r way to heavy.peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
I use choke chains now, but right when i started i was interested by cable. (guess since i started w/ glowsticks something more stringy just makes more sense) I'd kinda like to make myself a set of cables, but from the looks of them they're a little tricker to make than chains. Any pointers on how to proceed?

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Mr Sock--To make cables, you need cable sleeves (at least 2 per cable), cabling (obviously) and I'd recommend heavyweight fishing swivels (one per cable). You'll need a good cable cutter and a crimping or swaging tool (you can use pliers with a lot of leverage to crimp--swaging tools are somewhat exotic).I've documented the way I make cables athttps://www.crossroads.net/a/writing/firemaking.html

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Hey Malcolm, could we have a survey on this sometime?

crispyxmember
53 posts

Posted:
I've used different types of chains and I've tried a friends cables my favorite is ball chain. I don't like the way cables kink and my troupe does several multi-person moves where you need the ability to wrap the chain around your hand to make it shorter. Traditional chains can be a little bad about tangling, but ball chain seems to have the best of both.

How is it ever possible to feel safe and secure in a world in which everyone dies?

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Actually I use chains if I need the extra weight.peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone for the well considered opinions. I'm a cable user (since I started) and glowstick user (connected with swivels and string). I find these quite fast but am just thinking it's time to play with some chains as another type of 'physical challenge'... grin