Forums > Technical Discussion > HyperLight Update - 27-04-2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Seems like a while since I've posted a progress update so here we go! Whilst things have been outwardly rather quiet, I've been working hard behind closed doors:

The electronics have had some major work on them and are now very robust as a result. I've got the final prototype boards on order and I'm fairly certain they contain to the last remaining electrical issue: Currently, if you smack a pair together fairly hard, the batteries will lose their connection for a split second which will reset the poi to the beginning of the first sequence. I'm almost certain the changes I've made will fix the problem once and for all biggrin
The language to actually tell the poi what colours to change to has been put through it's paces a bit more which has ironed out a few bugs.
I've made some significant progress on the GUI (the bit of software you run on your computer to tell the poi what colours you want). It needs some more work, but the ocre is there and with a bit of luck should work on Windows, Linux and the MAC!
I've fixed the button pressing properly now so you can select different sequences, reset the current sequence and hold it at the beginning, turn them on/off etc. etc.
I've made a fairly crude mold to try and make some prototype housings... which worked rather well. The first test used plastic drainpipe which is a bit too flexible to be useful. The next step will be to do the same again with Poly Carbonate (one of the toughest plastics available). If that works, I'll make a better mould which won't look as pretty as the final balls I want to make, but will be otherwise identical to the final product!
After talking to lots of you, the general consensus seemed to be that the AAA's made the poi on the light side and that a battery life of ~1-1.5 hours was on the low side. So now we're shifting towards using AA's. I've not run any proper tests yet, but the numbers suggest they will last for ~2-3 hours on the AA's and weigh a bit more too smile
I've started investigating how we'd go about building the technology into a staff!

I'm certain we'll have these out and on the shelves by October, and fairly confident that they'll actually be ready to sell a few months before that! I don't want to get people's hopes too high, but how cool would it be if we had something ready in time for PLAY? wink

Cake or Death?

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

It was fantastic to see so many people looking so interested in the toys at Play; I promise I'll try and get a signup list on the website soon! redface

PM me when you do biggrin biggrin

hug

Motley

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
same here!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
ubblol Were like vultures circling a kill, just waiting til its time to swoop in and take a bite biggrin biggrin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'll be waiting a few years for jon to have amassed a fortune from hoppers so he can develop a staff wink then he can amass a fortune from even MORE hoppers ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I don't want any hyperlights - I think they're rubbish.

Not really, I just wanted to see what it felt like to be in such a small minority for a couple of seconds wink.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

I'll be waiting a few years for jon to have amassed a fortune from hoppers so he can develop a staff wink then he can amass a fortune from even MORE hoppers ubblol

agreed

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I agree... woah, that really is weird.

I feel dirty now... *goes off to spin some hyperlights* ...

Cake or Death?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
*sits back to wait now that's all sorted* biggrin well done dude they really are very nice poi

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

*goes off to spin some hyperlights* ...

Oh, now you're just taunting. tongue

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Mynci you'll have to wait in the queue, Jon's working on a hoop for me next tongue

*crosses fingers hoping it's true*

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
i've already seen quite a nice LED hoop do you want me to find out details? I know a few people with them

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
If it's a psi hoop I've already seen them, but I think Jon could make prettier ones smile

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Two words. Contact Hyperball... wink

FelixwahSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
yeh man i told frasier that has to be the next project lol!!! i think i full on hyperlight range is gonna have to be made wink

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking hyperchucks could be pretty cool too... biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hyper pogo stick?
Hyperchess?
Hypercutlery?

Ive already suggested those havent I? ubblol

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
ubblol You know Hyperchess would be cool!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'm really excited for the HyperWater, and Hypertires for my truck. is there a planned date for those? The prototypes look amazing.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.. they seem distracted by shiny things.... time to slip off for a two week holiday in a remote area of Scotland before they remember that the poi aren't even ready yet wink

Cake or Death?

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Who me? Distracted? By shiny things? :P

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
These look good enough for me for £40. ready by xmas 2006 aswell!

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/data_secure_display/500/6412HyperLights_LongSmoothRGBFade.jpg

Id love to see yuta or nick demo'ing a set of them, just like a quick 2 minute vid would probably be enough to sell a boat load i reckon when you do release them, hopefully very soon. smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Dear God, will you people stop nagging the poor man. He has told you over and over again the date for release is hoped to be October, but as with any new product no one can ever give a 100% guarantee of a release date because delays and changes are bound to happen.

So, to the more important questions Jon, when are you going to make me a hoop? Will it be ready before Christmas? Can I have it in different sizes? Will there be a demonstration video out soon? Will you be making it collapsible for ease of transport? wink tongue

I hope you have a fantabulous well earned holiday! hug

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Nick asked to have a spin with them at PLaY during the day when I was talking to him, and then caught Jon in the evening when it was time to light them up.. and I missed it frown

Ah well, Jon's got lots of things planned wink

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Dear God, will you people stop nagging the poor man. He has told you over and over again the date for release is hoped to be October, but as with any new product no one can ever give a 100% guarantee of a release date because delays and changes are bound to happen.

So, to the more important questions Jon, when are you going to make me a hoop? Will it be ready before Christmas? Can I have it in different sizes? Will there be a demonstration video out soon? Will you be making it collapsible for ease of trans

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
oh dear...the more i see them the more i want some...this is a problem. i will either have to go into hidding so as to stay away from them, or start saving....

if i could be a busy busy bee...

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
so, when exactly are they out?...now?...oh do tell..

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Just wanted to say thanks a lot and have the greatest hug in the world (something like this but way bigger hug) for letting me play with them at PLAY, I'll definitely become a customer once they're for sale biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fake teeth and glue

so, when exactly are they out?...now?...oh do tell..

Not sure. The more i search the more videos and pictures i find of people using them.

Suppose to be october i think but i reckon theres a fair few sets ready now

(edit -oops quoted the wrong person. my bad
EDITED_BY: Geeza (1186441643)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Both in this thread and on the official website, October is the current aim, as I said earlier here it's what Jon's been saying for quite some time now so I'm sure he has good reason to as he knows what the obstacles were.

The only sets 'ready now' are the prototype sets Hyperlight has and a couple of select testers, They are in placeholder casings, and have other disadvantages not in the final product. Videos and pictures kicking about are all from these prototypes being showcased at various events smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I have already put aside some cash for these so I will happily wait as long as we need to biggrin You have certainly put in a massive amount of effort in making these so whats a few more months weavesmiley

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Page: