Forums > Technical Discussion > HyperLight Update - 27-04-2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Seems like a while since I've posted a progress update so here we go! Whilst things have been outwardly rather quiet, I've been working hard behind closed doors:

The electronics have had some major work on them and are now very robust as a result. I've got the final prototype boards on order and I'm fairly certain they contain to the last remaining electrical issue: Currently, if you smack a pair together fairly hard, the batteries will lose their connection for a split second which will reset the poi to the beginning of the first sequence. I'm almost certain the changes I've made will fix the problem once and for all biggrin
The language to actually tell the poi what colours to change to has been put through it's paces a bit more which has ironed out a few bugs.
I've made some significant progress on the GUI (the bit of software you run on your computer to tell the poi what colours you want). It needs some more work, but the ocre is there and with a bit of luck should work on Windows, Linux and the MAC!
I've fixed the button pressing properly now so you can select different sequences, reset the current sequence and hold it at the beginning, turn them on/off etc. etc.
I've made a fairly crude mold to try and make some prototype housings... which worked rather well. The first test used plastic drainpipe which is a bit too flexible to be useful. The next step will be to do the same again with Poly Carbonate (one of the toughest plastics available). If that works, I'll make a better mould which won't look as pretty as the final balls I want to make, but will be otherwise identical to the final product!
After talking to lots of you, the general consensus seemed to be that the AAA's made the poi on the light side and that a battery life of ~1-1.5 hours was on the low side. So now we're shifting towards using AA's. I've not run any proper tests yet, but the numbers suggest they will last for ~2-3 hours on the AA's and weigh a bit more too smile
I've started investigating how we'd go about building the technology into a staff!

I'm certain we'll have these out and on the shelves by October, and fairly confident that they'll actually be ready to sell a few months before that! I don't want to get people's hopes too high, but how cool would it be if we had something ready in time for PLAY? wink

Cake or Death?

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
if that was the situation id even think of goign to PLAY even more!!

Jon, these sound fantastic, interested to see the housing, and the GUI was looking well when i last saw it...

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Promises promises.... smile

Looking forward to it smile

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Thanks Jon, this is just what was in order. As always sounds like your making some great progress. Can't wait, looking forward to seeing them at Play in whatever form they are in at that stage. I think the last ones I saw were the mk2s, the ones still in the plastic tubes (i.e. at Play and Fal last year) so I'm sure they will be very different now.

bounce

wave Chutney biggrin

Motley

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Oh yes, they've changed a fair bit since then Motley biggrin

Cake or Death?

Brian:-)BRONZE Member
stranger
37 posts

Posted:
Hi Jon, Nice to meet you in Nottingham. I was the one with the Programme-A-Balls.
I have been thinking about polycarbonate for the cases. I know it is tough but before you get too much invested in it, have you actually tested something similar to what you are making for impact? I got hold of some PET bottle preforms a while ago. These are what factories turn into 2 Litre lemonade bottles. I thought these would be indestructible as they are much thicker than the bottles. I made some multi-colour LED poi in them. They definitely do not stand up to impacting each other at high speed. To resolve this problem I made patterns in clear bathroom silicon around them which takes the impact and they have not broken since.

Brian.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I had a play with these (badly) and watched others spinning them at close quarters (much better) last weekend. The photos and videos don't do them any justice whatsoever, point of fact. These things kick ass smile

Joe
EDITED_BY: Joe_47 (1177691155)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
There have also been unofficial rope dart, and juggling ball tests, clubs as soon as I find something to hack into shape wink

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Well... we have swedish biggest fire festival ( CBY - Camp Burn Yourself ) in 17/7 - 22/7.

I'd love to promote it for you! Then again, there are most likely other spinners who would do a really good job promoting them ( I mean there's alot of good spinners out there). I'm responsible for one workshop down there as well...

In case they'd br ready by then, id more then willingly let sweden know of their existance, brightness... and style. I also have a programmers background, so coding for something is not alien to me, so I should be able to talk to people who think about their own sequences, the so called "power-users".

Anyhow, if not, i'll just wait 'til october to get my own pair. *grin*^.

Good luck!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
This is good news biggrin

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brian:-)

Hi Jon, Nice to meet you in Nottingham. I was the one with the Programme-A-Balls.

You too! Those things looked ace although I'm still not 100% convinced by the programming method; seems a bit convoluted to me smile

Written by: Brian:-)

I have been thinking about polycarbonate for the cases. I know it is tough but before you get too much invested in it, have you actually tested something similar to what you are making for impact? I got hold of some PET bottle preforms a while ago. These are what factories turn into 2 Litre lemonade bottles. I thought these would be indestructible as they are much thicker than the bottles. I made some multi-colour LED poi in them. They definitely do not stand up to impacting each other at high speed. To resolve this problem I made patterns in clear bathroom silicon around them which takes the impact and they have not broken since.

The current prototypes sit in Brylcream hair wax pots which, after adding sufficient gaffa tape and hot glue are fairly resilient. As I mentioned in the first post of this thread, I've got some polycarbonate on the way and will be running it through some thorough testing. If it can withstand all the punishment I throw at it, then that's most definitely what I'll be going with.

The final product will have a layer of padding around it whilst it's inside the sock so whatever the material the casing is made from, it will have at least some protection smile

Written by: Mireneye

Well... we have swedish biggest fire festival ( CBY - Camp Burn Yourself ) in 17/7 - 22/7.

I'm reluctant to ship prototypes outside the country and to people I've not met and spoken to for any length of time (for obvious reasons wink).. but I'll certainly try and get them ready to sell for those dates! smile

The next few weeks should produce some fairly rapid development as the new boards and prototypes come together. I can't wait to have toys that don't reset when you smack them together and remember what setting when they were on when you sent them to sleep! Exciting times biggrin

Cake or Death?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
great to hear everything is going so well smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

hope no-one minds me modding a hop emoticon smile

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
That is genius Yakumo biggrin

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

Non-Https Image Link

Its been said before.... videos just dont do them justice ubblol ubblol

Nice work!!

Motley

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
well i shuld really be in bed for college but ive spent my day (most of it) readin ur progress and jeez man o_O

sex? drugs? weapons? what will it take to get my hands on these... (or a simplified blueprint tomake my own)wothout all the fancy pants gear like the accelorometer =]

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Blueprints? I'll sell you the design for £500,000 biggrin

...or you could wait a few months and buy a fully functioning pair wink

Cake or Death?

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
If the reports I've heard are accurate these have the capability to nail Aerotech to the wall.

To. The. Wall.

The only thing I'd be afraid of is that someone will reverse engineer them, and start making their own versions, perhaps after removing said nails.

You have patented the design or something similar to protect against this eventuality haven't you?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I'd like to think so... although it's not our intention to run Aerotech out of business. I personally think that their toys are over-priced, but the only reason I'll be able to charge what I'm intending on charging is that I'm writing off all the (1000's of) hours I've spent developing them.

Reverse engineering the electronics wouldn't be all that difficult. All of the software is encrypted so getting the firmware off the devices would be practically impossible.

Patents aren't possible because the ideas have been discussed in the public domain. That also means that nobody else can patent it either! What we do have is a registered design which affords us some protection. smile

Cake or Death?

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I understand. Hope you get them ready around those dates then. I'd be honored to showcase them for ya =)

Good luck with your development!

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
any idea about the actual release dates... its my bday on the 18/06/07 and i want my parents to pay for them ^^

im not a cheap skate.. *honnest* =P

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Not until at least august... it'll be worth the wait though smile

Cake or Death?

glowingsineadnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
bounce confused2
oh i am so sad i am an impatient little girl and i need hyperlights as soon as they go on sale for i was supposed to be doing regular glo poi spinning at a fornightly gig but my stupid poi gave up the first night i was to start frown so i decided iwanted hyperlights .much cooler!!!! how's it coming along??

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Ah, my birthday is in August.
How convenient. wink

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
i got the pleasure of spending last week playing with these... folks.... start saving... they will be awesome.... duno how likely august will be though frown well thats HL's call but its pretty soon...

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Splinter, dude, I'm still jealous of you... tongue

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Any info on when these are available? Says jun or july on the site and were at the end of july now. Hopefully just a couple of days

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
where's the website? confused

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
https://www.hyperlight.co.uk/

Geeza- having been closely involved with the project, I can safely say that you won't see hyperlights by the end of July- development is getting to its later phases, and Jon's on track for sometime later in the year- I'll let him tell you more smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
HoP's stalked and posted to more regularly than the site so atm it's actually a more up-to-date resource for info, he's posted several times that they should be available come October though, just not in this particular thread, October was still the stated target when Jon was quizzed at PLaY this week also.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Apologies for the lack of communication. Things have been mighty busy for me recently!

I've vowed to myself I'll be selling them by the time I'm 27 which is in October.. and things are marching on steadily so I'm feeling reasonably confident that we can make that date smile

I've updated the website with the new info.

It was fantastic to see so many people looking so interested in the toys at Play; I promise I'll try and get a signup list on the website soon! redface

Cake or Death?

Page: ...