Forums > Social Discussion > Professional training for fireperformers?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Hey...

I was wondering how many different kind of possibilities there are to really study firearts besides online communities and videos and some festivals/workshops? I know there is/was a "school" in Italy offering something like 4 week workshops on firearts with accomodation and "top teachers". But that's pretty much the only one that I've heard of. I'm not saying that this one would be the best one if someone wants to go professional. I'm just interested in how many schools teach firearts or what kind of possibilities there are for people who would want to become professional fireperformers. Right now it seems that one can study dance, circus/acrobatics and martial arts to support their firearts but that's it... But I don't know. Educate me.

I've been sorta asked to teach firearts in a few circus-schools in Finland later this year but I'm not sure if it'll happen. But it would be cool especially if it would be long term and not just a few workshops.

I only know that they teach feicha (chinese contact staff) and meteors in chinese circus schools. Also I guess a good career move would be to become 20 years younger and move to Canada or somewhere to join a baton twirling group.

I'm sure there are many people or groups around the world who deserve honorable mentions for teaching and giving regular workshops, so list them here also if you know any. www.uberevents.org ?

Point your toes.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I will make it to an uber event one day...

Keep us posted on an UberSchweiz... or an UberChoc (Belgium) or even an UberDeutsch... maybe an UberDutch?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I'm in! Meanwhile, UberParis followed by 2UberOZ followed by x years on carbon sink duty would be a fine start wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
is that kyle pretending to be Gabe?

ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
eek *Looks down*

No, it's me. I have lots more bumps than Kyle. Different ones anyway. And when I do contact staff it is mostly contact floor with staff ubblol

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
ubblol

That sounds quite interesting Rob. And yeah, what Gabe said for the next two. And the carbon.

Jay said you might be living not too far from them? Hoping to hang out there for a while this summer. Be good to be just down the road! I think I'll take Antti's advice and spend some time in Paris too (After Uber).

Does anyone know anyone that has direct experience with the school in Italy?

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
France is good, April is good, but March is better.

Humm, yes, the carbon. I'm currently working on an orca drawn kayak, and if my design is successful, I'm hoping to travel using that ( as long as there isn't too much ice in the Northwest Passage. Either that, or I'll hitch a ride with Al Gore. wink

glittertillMember
26 posts

Posted:
thailand would be great in february...
but probabely a french village is more perfect to stay really focussed and the french climate can be a help (you want to move around to stay warm..)
march is very difficult, april much better..

Page: