Forums > Social Chat > News from the Universe...

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Let's start with the detection of "C", the first planet outside our Galaxy that is "potentially habitable" and within the comfortable range of 120 Trillion miles... makes him "number ONE"

YAY - let's hitch hike to Libra and be the first ones!

Let us know if you get some news (channelled) wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Sign me up! I need to do a little traveling.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... reminds me of "Return of the Jedis".... smile

welcome back triple four six hug cool

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
you mean outside our solar system

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
I say form a team, build a rocket , colonize the planet for all HOPpers!!! lol weavesmiley

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well if flying is so awful...what would a rocket carbon offset be? wink

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Do you suppose its atmosphere is ideal for fire poi?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yo trekkies - certainly right: it should be solar system...

Humm, the star that shines on this planet is a "red dwarf"... Be interesting to see how the colours appear there. Little known about this planet, except that it has water and is bigger - meaning that gravity pulls harder - meaning that we have to throw that staff higher... humm more effort to move around...

If it's a return ticket, I'd be in it... beam me up, Scotty

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Hate to be a party pooper but we need to find a habitable planet that is a bit closer than 20 light years away coz that would take about 500 generations of people to reach based on current space craft technology.

Just think about how long it took the voyager probe to reach the edge of our solar system (nearly 30 years for those that don't know)

I would still like to go there some time just for a visit tho

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

3,556 posts

Posted:
no, we just need to find and control a wormhole
where's that pesky stargate when you need one?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Little known about this planet, except that it has water and is bigger - meaning that gravity pulls harder - meaning that we have to throw that staff higher... humm more effort to move around..

No-one's detected water, they're just reporting that it's temperture will be above zero and below 100, so liquid water would be possible.

Now, the fun thing about high gravity plants is that their atmosphere's are much denser. Counter-intuitively, this actually makes flying easier, so we might get some interesting results if someone starts spinning helicopter moves.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

3,556 posts

Posted:
party pooper bounce

Faith

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Like swimming, innit.

But, wouldn't the effect of the extra gravity make a difference also? ie, cancel that out?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: 87rr_wt2hetw7matmatik

Written by: Limits_To_Contest

Like swimming, innit.

Wouldn't've thought so. In swimming you push against the water and, god bless Newton's 2nd law, it pushes you forwards. That ain't how a wing or helecopter blades work.

Anyway I've never tried swimming through treacle, is it easier? wink

Actaully, that's pretty much exactly how they work once you ignore the razmitazz. Air pushed down, flying machine pushed up.

Written by: Limits_To_Contest

But, wouldn't the effect of the extra gravity make a difference also? ie, cancel that out?

They don't quite cancel out, so assuming a decent atmosphere it's overall easier.
EDITED_BY: jeff(fake) (1177665439)

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Ey I thought they found water - much like "land in sight".... must re-read the article, huh?

Now "a denser atmosfear makes flying easier...." humm, meaning that thrown staffs would take longer to come back down? umm

ubbidea

*throw* bounce ubbrollsmile bounce *catch*?

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mons87ieurr_wt2mgzmatiq7es

Written by: jeff(fake)

Actaully, that's pretty much exactly how they work once you ignore the razmitazz. Air pushed down, flying machine pushed up.

I thought it was more about a pressure difference above and below the wing. Less pressure above so you kinda get sucked up. Hurr hurr.

The Bernoulli's principle is generally considered to be a minor part of flight, with deflection playing a larger role.
article on "lift"

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
too late...

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer