BandanaDaveGOLD Member
21 posts

Posted:
Hello All,

Hello, I am from Circusoc, a Circus society based at UNSW. We are not a youth Circus, we are a group of students who find time between studies to practise that which we love.

On may 17th & 18th we will be performing a show called Kerros, a show based on old and slightly twisted stories of our past such as various fairy tales, Alice in Wonderland and even some Shakespear. We have endeavoured to include not just the older and more experienced members of our group but also the newer members who have been enthusiastic to take part.

I feel that this show is most deffinately worth seeing because I am dismayed at the low level of Circus activity within Sydney. I am trying to help this scene grow within Sydney; by producing more Circus in my area, by increasing knowledge of the local Circus groups and by attracting those from elsewhere if only for a brief period. .

Kerros is a show produced by a student circus, which is rare for Sydney (youth or student) and I wish to gain as much acknowledgement and support as possible for those individuals that have taken part.

So....

What: Kerros, a Circusoc Production
When: 17th & 18th of May, 7PM
Where: The Round House, UNSW Kensington Campus - https://www.unswroundhouse.com/transport.aspx
Price: $15 for Adults, $10 for UNSW Students

The booking system will be up soon at www.circusoc.com or e-mail oppia.circusoc@gmail.com for more information.

Thank you everyone for your time & thoughts

Many Smiles,
David

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Good on you Dave, that's brilliant! Well done for putting yourself out to make something happen!

(I did think for an awful moment that you were doing a fireshow promoting stinky kero!!!)

Hope it goes really well for you.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
smile

Looking forward to being there.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Myste and I will be there, too! smile

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Circusoc Performs to Rave Reviews

Circusoc is truly to be commended for their production, Kerros. The atmosphere of the performance was a mix of dream and fairytale, with a cunning hint of nursery rhyme thrown in.

I was greeted at front of house by Jerry, an old hand with Circusoc, who was professionally steering people to their seats in the UNSW Roundhouse. I think my dready companion was impressed with getting the VIP treatment. He kept on grinning and telling me "I have never been a VIP before". We sat and watched the house fill up whilst the wonderful house band filled the space with amazing sounds.

Kerros is a well thought out production with very original moments. From the moment the lights came up on the tableau of schoolchildren terrorised by their giant gothic schoolmistress, to when the lights went down on the final poignant moment (I do so love an unhappy ending).

The plot is drawn from such classic ideas as Labyrinth and Alice in Wonderland, where the two main characters are banished into a magical world and must search for their salvation. Along the way they meet tumbling, spinning, stiltwearing, unicycling characters who sometimes help and sometimes...

My highlights for the show were the stilt performance, the statues, and the kings. The stilt performance was possibly the most creative I have seen, and at the interval my other friends in the audience agreed. Without giving too much away, I was impressed at the characterisation of the tall solemn trees. When they fell, I gasped along with the rest of the audience. When they so gracefully performed acrobatics in their stilts, I was in awe.

The statues were yet another example of the excellent quality of acrobalance being performed by this troupe. I was impressed not just with the balancing, but with the visual arrangements of shapes. And of course that touch of humour in spelling out words.

The Kings' staff routine was a creative use of props. They didn't just stick to spinning, but incorporated a percussion routine that would have made Tetrafide Percussion proud.

The plot line was well developed, the acrobatic skills and creative use of props really glowed. Some of the skills could have been tighter, but as the overall production was so excellent I don't think anyone would have minded. If you are in Sydney, and Circusoc has a show on, you really should go.

Please, please, please BandanaDave, post some video highlights. I really think you need to share this one with the world.

juggle ubbrollsmile juggle
EDITED_BY: Rozi (1179650907)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rozi

Circusoc Performs to Rave Reviews
From the moment the lights came up on the tableau of schoolchildren terrorised by their giant gothic schoolmistress

Congratulations!! Well done!
hehe, next time, you could go for realism and have a schoolteacher terrorised by giant emo schoolchildren wink

shmackenewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll pass them on to Dave and the cast and crew.

If you have any photos from the night, feel free to stick them up here:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/kerros/

Cheers

Jerry
EDITED_BY: shmacke (1179683195)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hey nice work guys - kudos to you guys for making a massive contribution to the Circus arts in Sydney. wish i could have seen it.

ubbrollsmile

E.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1179750704)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

hey nice work guys - kudos to you guys for trying to revive the sydney fire scene.

ubbrollsmile

I'm gonna object to that. I do give these guys massive credit for what they have created, an absolutely awesome stage piece. And they are certainly introducing something new and exciting that may change the shape of the fire scene here.

However I am beginning to find it tiresome and offensive when people assert that the Sydney fire-scene is dead. It may not be as active as other cities, but to be honest it is hard to tell. And that is because the scene here is a very different shape to other cities. There are incredibly active University groups (The Macquarie Uni crowd, Circusoc, SURCAS), there are some old respected firetroupes such as Fire Art Fanatics (FAF), the Glebe pt rd meet is still going and probably will continue to wax and wane for years to come, I know there are some excellent meets around the beaches, there is a strong burlesque scene which incorporates fire in the goth community (and I would guess that the burlesque scene in the queer scene probably does too). Sydney also has the peak juggling convention in Australia (but has had the modesty not to attempt to call itself the Australian juggling convention).

Fire is incorporated into other things in this town, bush doofs, circus meets, juggling meets, drumming circles, burlesque performances, warehouse parties. Its a big town, which means it is logistically hard for all these groups to know of one another.

And guess what? They are not on HoP.

HoP is great, but there are other places. You only have to look at the fact that Circusoc has its own very lively forum.

Sydney culture has a strong streak of grass-roots organising. There are these incredibly powerful moments when groups of people come together and organise something wonderful, like a show or a warehouse party. There are a stupendous number of artists collectives who live to do just that. But in the longer term the organising tends to be far more organic, with no one really in charge. That is why fire-meets wax and wane here. And you know what? I really like that.

I am a little sick of hearing that because the Sydney scene doesn't look the same as other towns it is somehow "wrong" or "bad". The culture here is different, the size and shape of the city is different, why wouldn't our firescene be different aswell? Yes, more can probably be done, (and Kerros is an example) but I doubt it will be through HoP or in the same way that members of the HoP community think "it should be done".

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ditto clap clap clap

Although, to be fair. Ed, has always considered himself to be the firescene where ever he is. wink

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ok roz, i phrased that the wrong way. dont get yourself too worked up. peace

maybe 'take a leading initative to the growth of the fire community' is a better phrase for it, so that my compliment to circusoc doesnt offend others. i know about all those meets - hell i spent alot of time going the different groups trying to network between them when i was living there. I drove everywhere from from campbelltown to dee-why to kellyville to both larger meets and smaller little isolated groups of spinners - give them some more ideas - and trying to get them along to some of the other meets. i was on all the email lists, surcas, macpyros, stone circle, confest etc and check the boards here, circusoc, australiens and oztrance etc. has my Sydney events thread been forgotten so soon? Sydney has isolated fire scenes sure - but my opinion is community is still just beginning. i think Sydney definitely has the capability of have a healthy fire community, despite the travel time excuse.

sure thats my bias. because i know how inspiring it can be when there is genuine connectivity between those isolated groups of spinners. without that community - it affects the newbies who using same teaching methods i used 5 years ago which are now out of date, and the higher level spinners who struggle to find new directions to follow, and get sick of heading down to the meets only to teach beginner level. Of course thats a big generalization, and there are always expections - but thats my general opinion smile

im giving circusoc my uttermost respect for taking a massive step towards that greater fire community and putting on what sounds like an amazing production im sorry i couldnt see, in much in same way that i talk up Mark & the Sydney Juggling Convention in the same way.

your welcome to disagree with me of course, and if things have really started to move down their since i left 10 months ago, i am really happy for Sydney.

No Patrick, i am not so egocentric/delusional to believe any firescene revolves around me. im just one cog in the greater community that has been one of the most profound experiences of my life.

E ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1179715901)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:

i know about all those meets - hell i spent alot of time going the different groups trying to network between them when i was living there. I drove everywhere from from campbelltown to dee-why to kellyville to meet little isolated groups of spinner - give them some more ideas - and trying to get them along to some of the larger meets. i was on all the email lists, surcas, macpyros, stone circle, confest and check the boards here, circusoc, australiens and oztrance. i had little leaflets with all the main meets/websites printed out to give to anyone i met who was interested. Sydney has isolated fire scenes sure - but my opinion is community is still just beginning. i think Sydney definitely has the capability of have a healthy fire community, despite the travel time excuse.

sure thats my bias.

Therein lies the problem.

Sydney as a scene is not about one person organising. It is about a bunch of grassroots movements. They have been there for many many years (well before I came into the scene around 8 years ago), and will continue to be there and do their rather unique thing for many years to come (whether I am there or not). And I believe it should be appreciated on its own terms, rather than attempting to impose an external measure of what is "healthy".

I have had one very perceptive soul say to me that they think of the Sydney scene as "postmodern", that community has a different flavour here which is hard to describe (maybe kinda tangy) and that "we don't do love-ins". The punk ethos is far too strong here.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. But you will never be able to work with it.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
roz, no its definitely not about one person organizing it - my point was that i'm acutely aware of the level of fire presence in across greater sydney so feel my points are fair, rather than trying to fraudulently elevate myself to any sort of management position imposing my evil external structures on an organic creative community. sure you know me better that that!

ok - so you say the community exists, but its a minimalist grassroots post modern punk outlook to life, thats fine. im happy to agree with that infinitely more eloquent description that i have the ability to create, rather than my more sweeping generalization of lack of community.

but personally i think its beautiful when little grassroots groups realise how much love and knowledge there is out their in this artform and start connecting with other likeminded souls our there. and i feel there is the desire to have more connections out there - how many times have spinners NOT been happy to meet other random spinners? maybe i just enjoy the love-fests too much.

and thats what i applaud circusoc for - theyve put the word out - got some HoPpers, Surcas, probably a few other groups around - and really contributed to some positive energy to the greater community grouphug

and aside - i am always regret that i didnt think to use that Young Ones quote as my sig before you wink
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1179722630)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Seem to be a few mixed strands in this thread:
* A heads up and congrats for a great production by CircusSoc that, in Dave's own words, is an attempt to build up a circus scene he finds to be less than it could be
* A discussion of the dispersed nature of the Sydney fire scene (is that on topic here? Did the CircusSoc production feature fire?)
* A discussion of Ed's role in attempted cat herding that is itself a wee bit catty. umm

Meanwhile, yes is there any film or similar? I love to watch wink

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
no i dont think it was catty gabe - probably more of a reflection of what happens when ones type an offhand comment in a one sentence post without thinking about how the rest of the world interprets it... i understand where roz is coming from.

but i like this idea of cat herding ubblol

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

* A discussion of the dispersed nature of the Sydney fire scene (is that on topic here? Did the CircusSoc production feature fire?)

Actually, yes. But it was mainly introduced in Dentrassi's offhand comment which made specific reference to the Sydney fire scene. To be honest, if you want to talk about the Sydney Circus scene there is even less basis for the remarks.

Written by: newgabe

* A discussion of Ed's role in attempted cat herding that is itself a wee bit catty. umm

Not catty, angry. And that is an important distinction. I am downright mad about the frequent bagging of the Sydney scene with very little understanding of its history and culture.

To be honest, the "catherding" comment is the use of yet another such patronising phrase. It implies that Dentrassi is the wonderful herder, and we sydneysiders the lowly, disorganised cats. But let's extend the metaphor just a little, do you know why cats are so hard to herd? Cos they just don't want to be herded, they have their own minds and their own ways. Yep, they can be coaxed, but to be honest they work best when they are not herded but treated like intelligent beings.

Yes, we are happy to get in touch with other people, and yes we may be looking to increase that. But Sydney, as a community, has other values and priorities as well. To simply look at how much the different groups talk to one another is a really c**p measure of whether this community is working or not.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
gah! i dont get this herding cats thing! im neither a particularly good spinner nor focussed on world domination, and certainly never viewed the sydney spinners as my kittens! extending metaphors will just skew everything further away from my intention!(i just found the mental image of using cattle prods to herd cats amusing redface )...

angry? its just my opinion roz. i have no limit to the respect i have for many of the lovely souls including yourself who i met down there, and to the opportunities that it gave me. i am not bagging out the sydney fire spinners - id be an absolute hyprocrite - so dont take it personally. i am still friends with a whole bunch of spinners down there - its not as if im a out-of-towner passing judgement without reason!

i think has thread taken a turn down a path that isnt needed - and is one of those chats that would make sense in real life but not on a forum. ive modified the original post, so how bout we leave it at that.

agreed? hug

E.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1179752850)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rozi

To be honest, the "catherding" comment is the use of yet another such patronising phrase. It implies that Dentrassi is the wonderful herder, and we sydneysiders the lowly, disorganised cats.

Cat herding? Heavens above. Not patronising to cats (or Sydney) at all. It is a phrase used to describe attempting to achieve a specific result with independent minded people who, as you say, do their own thing in their own time for their own reasons. It implies that the person 'herding' is spending energy trying to achieve something difficult that doesn't want to be achieved.

So if anyone is the 'butt' of the phrase, it's the person attempting the herding. The cats get to be cool.

About the 'Sydney fire scene', well, apart from Dentrassi and some wicked cabaret ladies, you're about the only spinner I have ever met from Sydney, Rozi, and that was for a few minutes at Woodford. I really have no opinion about the scene at all, patronising, respectful or otherwise. Haven't given it any thought till this thread came up.

There are some people from Sidders booked in for 2UberOz though so I guess I will meet some more in time. Which is good. I like meeting other spinners.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:

i think has thread taken a turn down a path that isnt needed - and is one of those chats that would make sense in real life but not on a forum. ive modified the original post, so how bout we leave it at that.

agreed? hug

E.

I'll agree to leave it here, but with one final thought. These types of comments have been made before, without much thinking. And they are let slide, no one challenges it.

So over time we are told that "sydney has a bad fire scene (or circus scene)" and we just come to accept it. We feel bad about ourselves, and constantly apologise for the state of our community. Or we attempt to "fix it" cos it is "broken".

Sydney has a lot of things to celebrate in its circus, fire and burlesque scenes. It has a shimmering ephemeral soul, with a tough gritty exterior. To absent-mindedly talk it down is to denigrate the wonderful things that people have done and continue to do. If you continue to talk about the bad only, you will never appreciate and extend upon the good. And you will introduce a sense of hopelessness which is not necessary or welcome.

Y2k-Hippymember
13 posts

Posted:
Hay Rozi And Dentrassi

I agree with both or your aguments in part and can see what each of you are saying.

As a Member of Cicusoc for 5 years and a regular at Glebe Meet for 4 years. I havnt been out to the Bush duffs, Drumming circles and Beach spinning. I know that some of our 100+ members do get out there to other meets and I have pushed to bring them out to Glebe often. Over the years with Circusoc I have seen the level of Spinning (and Acro + Everthing else we do) rise to a good level. There is talk of a couple of our members going to Uber Oz this year and even doing some training from Circus Oz in Melb.

I am always supprised by the amount of events in sydney spread out into small groups. There is also a push for a new one (day twirling) for weekends.

To answer you questions on Fire from Kerros, yes there was a Pre-Show fire profomance that was held in three area's outside the entrance of the venue. Two of these area's used for Fire Spinning(Poi and Staff)/Juggling/Devil Sticks and Breaching while the third and central area was used by the Acro Ballence proformers in the show. Also Clowns ran riot through the crowd while the the live music was played to the audiance not knowing which way to turn.

There will be a DVD made of the proformance like was done for our last major self ran "big" show Carousel. This is usually just for sale to our own members to watch the show for the first time as both nights all of the Cast and Crew were busy streching and getting ready for their next scene.

It has also been mentioned that Circusoc does not afiliate (or have HoPers in its members). Yes its true we have our own forums and some of our members are on this site. What must be said is that without Home of Poi our show would not have gotten off the ground at all. Home of Poi was a Major Sponser for us donateing equipment for several acts that we could not have purchased with our societys budget and also Items for fundraising efforts.

We do have some of a sneek peek from the Video from the Show up on Utube. The first is a of the pre show fire proformance (sorry its a bit dark) and the second is the Opening scene of the show where the school children are inspected by there evil and REALY tall Head Mistress, and the introduction of the two primary actors in the show (both of which are first year members) Jack and Jill.

Someone has claimed to Youtube that the video belongs to them and is in breach of copy right, so I have removed all Video from this site. These Images "ARE" the propety of Circusoc and we are looking into what has happend

I should also note that approx 80% (maybe more) of the cast are first year members of our group with all skills being tough from scratch (and some bringing outside skills that were incorporated into the show)

There is also now talk of another show to be ran later in the year (very eairly days so far... as the talk started yesterday) of a Full Fire show. Out doors and the same level of work and rehursing that was put into Kerros.

Oh and one last thing... the last I heard Macqurie University's Pyro Club colasped late last year, I may have been restarted and I do hope it was but it was commented in an earlier post here as one of the many groups in sydney.
EDITED_BY: Y2k-Hippy (1181354552)

Tree Bad, Fire Pretty

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the vids!! biggrin The opening scene was such a brilliant concept.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Hey dave congrats on the show. And every one else too. If i had of realised you were gonna do a show i would have come to syd to see it.
Well good to see it was a succsess.

Us canberra circus spacers have a show in a couple of weeks, no where near a big as yours but it should be fun.
Unfortunatly can't i really do much in it cos i broke my foot : (

Well good luck for your next show. If it happens i'll see if i can come to syd and see it : )

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Y2k-Hippymember
13 posts

Posted:
A broken foot Ouch...

We had a proformer in the show that hurt her back a week and a half before the show and was on morphine so she couldnt proform...

Luckilly we didnt have any injures on the first night as we didnt has a singleunderstudy for the show.

There might be a couple of the more interesting scenes put on youtube soon... We are starting to post vids on there of our recent normal meetings. And new toys such as our new fire skipping rope. Just search for circusoc to find them.

It would be great to see what the other groups around are doing and see their shows. Blueberry if you have a show comming up you can post it on our forums (not many are hoppers) and we might get a road trip happening.

Tree Bad, Fire Pretty

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Oow ouch i hope the chicky with the sore back is feeling beter soon. Sombody from our training group is struggling with a back injury at the moment also, she recently re-sliped a disk.

Yeah injurys befor shows can be nerveracking.

I'm looking forward to wacthing some more sceens from the show smile can't wait.
I have a fire skipping rope i use to use it with my old troup, they are great fun. But i can't find anyone who is brave enough to use it with me now and it only really looks good if you can have lots of people runing in and out of it.

I will definatly post our show when i have the correct dates and times and stuff. How do i get on to the forums??

Jane

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Blueberry

I have a fire skipping rope i use to use it with my old troup, they are great fun. But i can't find anyone who is brave enough to use it with me now and it only really looks good if you can have lots of people runing in and out of it.

OOOH!! Bring it up to Brisbane! Those things rock and there's lots of skippy brave people! bounce2

Y2k-Hippymember
13 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone

I have a couple of new vids from the show.

The first is from my favorite Act that was called the Tea Party (keeping with the Alice in wonderland / warped fairy tales) Once again this is a very raw clip pre editing and is actuall two clips in one. The first run through was from our preshow rehursal and the second is from our opening night. Try to spot in the back ground the poi Spinning, juggling, devil sticking and Diablo.

Someone has claimed to Youtube that the video belongs to them and is in breach of copy right, so I have removed all Video from this site. These Images "ARE" the propety of Circusoc and we are looking into what has happend

The second, and the act that had alot of debate in the lead up to the show it self is the Four Kings. A mix of Choreographed and solo staff, Rythem n Drumming, Acro-balance and staff tennis.

The fire skipping rope night was fun, I wont post the vid here as it wasnt apart of the show. For one of or regular gigs we use our normal safty guide rope as a giant skipping rope to keep kids entertained and in three years of doing this gig our record for the most people skipping is 17 before one person stuffs it all up.

Hay Blueberry to get to our forums, our site is https://circusoc.com click on forums and register. I am unsure about the current security we have but there is a sticky thread in the general section which has the details. We have had a massive influx of forum bots getting in so have had to amp up security making it harder to register.
EDITED_BY: Y2k-Hippy (1181354664)

Tree Bad, Fire Pretty

BandanaDaveGOLD Member
21 posts

Posted:
Hello....

Sorry for the late reply and thank you so very much for the rave review Rozi. Hehe, I was in the stilt scene and the staff scene (plus choreographed the staff scene) so thank you very very much, many grins.

As for the video.... I am right now attempting to recover my UNI marks and since Kerros and am right now in the middle of exams so things have been slow going. But i currently have 9 cassette tapes with the various performances on them so the DVD is coming. It is just a matter of time.

Thank you for your beautiful review, and to HoP for their support.

Cheers,
David

Many Smiles,
David