Forums > Help! > They won't stay lit!

Login/Join to Participate

discowenchSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
So I lit up new poi last week and put them in a zip lock bag when I was done.A few days later I noticed some condensation in the bag and took them out. I went to light up last night and they just won't stay lit for more than 30 seconds or so. Did I wreck them? Oh please tell me they'll dry out(if that's the problem). frown

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
How odd... I wouldn't have thought the condensation would be enough to dampen the poi to the extent they won't light.
Are you using the same fuel as you did the first time?

You could try leaving them out to dry in the sun, re-soaking them over-night in paraffin and then trying again maybe, but that is odd smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But then the condensation can only have come from the poi themselves and they shouldn't have contained that much water after burns.
You did re-fuel them before lighting them yeah? wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

discowenchSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
They will light up~ but just fizzle out within 30 seconds.I am using the same fuel, but a different brand.The others with me had no problems with theirs.I did refuel them before lighting~yes. I thought it was strange that they had that much moisture in them, but after using 'em they sat outside for a few hours before I put 'em in the ziplock. It was a cool evening and we were at a river so I guess that did it~?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yeep... where they accidentally dropped in the river?

Like Durbs says... leave them to dry out completely... then retry.

smile

Getting to the other side smile

discowenchSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
LOL~ they did'nt end up in the river as far as I know! Thanks for the help~ I have them hanging in a warm dry area and I guess i'll find out in a few days.I hope they're going to be okay, they've only been lit twice! Well- sort of twice~

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
If you want to accelerate the process after they dried out, consider using "whitegas" as it burns hotter. Any which way you seem to have some sort of 'special' poi. Never heard of anything like that...

What kind of wick is on it? Kevla(R) or that white, crappy stuff... still, can't imagine of a reason why they should do that.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

discowenchSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
They are the cathedral ball chain poi, from HOP~so they are kevlar.The fuel we use is coleman camp fuel.I think that is the same as white gas~ or is kerosene white gas? I live in the U.S. and I know different gases have different names around the globe.What is the 'white crappy stuff'? Sometimes I see fire poi on E-bay for very cheap 'buy it now'.I have just assumed those were made of inferior materials.

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
And, for the future... breathable bags are the best smile

... simplify ...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Icarus, you may be right - depending on the ways of travel and packaging (i.e. poi in bag in backpack)

Disco, I'm certain that it's not about the poi then - it must be about the fuel... any improvement in the meantime? umm
2 days in the sun, re-soak and light them up. If they are not staying lit, do it again and again... I'm 101% certain that they will come back to their initial burntime.

The cheap crappy stuff on eBay... keep your hands off, unless the wick is from pure Aramid or Kevla(R) - or what is their return policy after they have been lit? wink

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
My staff did this after i foolishly left it out in the rain. Exactly the same problem, definitely sounds like water in the wicks. It was eventually cured by repeatedly burning the wicks soaked in fuel (but not spinning) which forced the water out by capillary action and evaporation.

(That last sentence is nothing more than a guess, but it's how it should work in my head :P )

Joe x

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Reverse osmosis perhaps...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I ubblove your new signature, Durbs hug biggrin

discowenchSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
I'm going out of town for the weekend~ so they'll have to wait till sunday night.Should be good and dry by then-I can barely wait!! bounce2

furbsSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
 Written by: discowench

The fuel we use is coleman camp fuel

White can with red lettering etc?

if so thats your problem it burns hotter and with a shorter burn time. 30 sec's if your lucky, it ignites a lot easier though.

It should be a paraffin that you use for your poi (although a dash of colemans can be used to help ignite on a cold night.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: furbs

if so thats your problem it burns hotter and with a shorter burn time. 30 sec's if your lucky, it ignites a lot easier though.

or...you could get 5 minute burns. paraffin on the other hand burns so clean

wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
confused Coleman fuel = whitegas = gas for cleaning? Yes/ No?

If so, it burns hotter and brighter and the burntime IS shorter, but "30 secs" only???? umm Dude, you have to use it on WICK(ety wick) and you have to submerge the entire (poi/ staff) head completely, i.e. "soak" it... [/geekery] wink tongue

discowenchSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hey all!I forgot to ever write and let everyone know that after letting them dry for five days,my poi lit right up and are totally back to normal.Yay!!And to Furbs~ I have always used Coleman camp fuel and have never had a problem.I get a four minute or so burn with it.Thank you everyone for your input and~No More Ziplocks!!Haha

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hug

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
This thread makes me feel better, I sometimes put out my wicks by hitting them against grass and using a spray function on a hose. I've never had a problem though.

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
In my view, whether or not hitting your poi against grass affects fire toy flammability, it is not a good idea for the health your wicks to smack it against anyfink.

discowench, you must feel glad that the drama is over!! woot!!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always