Total posts: 5
Posted:For the blue flame, is is Copper (I) Chloride, or Copper (II) Chloride?

Do the chemicals have to be reagent-level purity?

Where can I get said chemical?

Lastly, where can I get denatured alchohol?

Thanks in advance.


EDITED_BY: orion10293 (1177387555)

Daily prayer:

Dear Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people that pissed me off.


Delete Topic

BRONZE Member since Nov 2005


HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand

Total posts: 1965
Posted:good questions but where do you live coz the answer may differ depending on your location

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil


Posted:Well internet is always good for chemicals. You should be able to get the alcohol from your pharmastist.


SILVER Member since Dec 2004


Carpal \'Tunnel
Location: Hampshire College, MA, USA

Total posts: 3533
Posted:Question the first: It shouldn't matter. They might be different shades of blue, but the heat of the flame is a more important factor.

Question the second: No, impurities aren't a big deal so long as they won't give off toxic fumes when burned

Question the third: Well, I get my chemicals from my dad, who works for the FDA. So that doesn't answer your question at all. Sorry, but I dont' really know. Some you can get from pharmacies.

Denatured alcohol can be found at most hardware stores. I've honestly never seen any at a pharmacy, but that doesn't mean it's not there.


"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"


Invader Xan
SILVER Member since May 2005

Invader Xan

Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
Location: Over the hills and far away, U...

Total posts: 479
Posted:Unfortunately, Copper (anything) Chloride gives off nasty fumes. Think about a face mask. smile

At a pharmacy, look for rubbing alcohol. Try and avoid anything containing meths. Meths is poisonous.

If you don't mind doing the age verification dance, you can buy various chemicals from a lovely place called Skylighter. It's a pyrotechnic/fireworks hobby supplier. Some things can only be shipped within the US, but others can be shipped worldwide.

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky