Page:
alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
the new "no smoking" laws........

bad news people, this WILL affect festivals from 1st of july!!!!!!!!!

As the new laws states, any tempory or permanant structures, encompasing an enclosed space will be subject to the new anti smoking laws.

such to say, at a fetival, any marqueee consisting of a roof structure and side skirts is to be non smoking.

to comply with said new laws, such structures must comply, and in doing so........ any permanant or tempory structures MUST either......

A) only be a roofed structure

B) consist of a roof and one wall

for any marqee or tent hire company this means, that if such a stucture is hired only the roof can be erected, that means NO side skirts what so ever as that would concist as an "enclosed space"

This means that any bed and breakfast, hotel, hostel, commercial vehicle, home office, tent or marquee etc. from the 1st of july will be subject to such laws and prosicutable under such laws to the key of £2500.

this is bad news for any future event from july 1st 2007 onwards

god bless tony blair an his legacey frown

EDITED_BY: ravehead (1177367266)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think "scent" is the wrong word! I'd go with;

smell
odour
stench

tongue

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
I can't believe they're not bringing in the ban for another YEAR here in The Netherlands. Booooooooooooo!!!

yay for England and Ireland and Scotland and everywhere else that has it though!

everyone's unique except me

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
 Written by: petey

i went to a nightclub last night, and with the new no-smoking laws... it *STANK*. the place was rife with the scent of sweat. that was a downside i didnt expect

Ermmmm...

Written by: burningoftheclavey

the only negative thing i'd say about no smoking in pubs is that there is now nothing to cover the smell of either methane or old men.... ubblol

Written by: meeee!

Too true. Muchos stinkos...

wink ubblol hug

Nothing prepares you for the smell though, does it? It's seriously rank. I've only stepped foot in a club once since they brought the ban in here - it was just far too much to take... hug ubblol ubblol ubbrollsmile

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
oh yeah! no dirty ashtrays to clean at work last night!

*happy dance*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Now I would stop smoking,, But I'm no Quitter lol

Although its funny too see that the bans not even two weeks old and already people are complaining about the worse smells that it used to cover up,, now the smokes not there (don't just mean the club smells mentioned here,, people have started complaining about nasty foode smells at train stations aswell lol)

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto Some of the reactions to the ban, on both sides of the camp, have been hilarious.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

truthsetsfreestranger
6 posts

Posted:
Why should you be able to smoke in prison? You are not allowed to drink take drugs or have sex (with someone else or a woman), why should you be able to smoke? It's meant to be a punishment. Why should smokers have a privilege denied to drinkers?
Anyway, smokers stink and endanger the lives of others. If it were a new recreation, introduced today, it would be banned because it is addictive and life-threatening. Stamp it out, it's not a matter of civil liberty unless you are crazy enough to believe that heroin, cocaine and other addictive substances are also civil rights. Smoking shows a weakness of character, no-one who knows its effects would smoke unless they thought it was "big" or "manly". It's a peer-pressure thing and only weak characters succumb and start smoking and then they are too weak to stop.
I await the protests from the feeble-minded with interest.

EDITED_BY: truthsetsfree (1232098346)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Before I say anything I'd like to state that I do not support smoking, I am not a smoker and I'd rather that those I love didn't smoke.

Hello there, truthsetsfree.

Originally Posted By: truthsetsfreeStamp it out, it's not a matter of civil liberty unless you are crazy enough to believe that heroin, cocaine and other addictive substances are also civil rights.

This argument is based on hyperbole. If you want to go so far as to lump cocaine and nicotine into the same category, you may as well throw caffeine into the mix as well especially given the exploitation through trade that occurs in some countries.

Smoking offers a much slower death than cocaine and as death is inevitable its a choice of each individual how they spend their lives so long as they don't impact on others. Since smoking has been banned in clubs and pubs in Australia, excepting outdoor areas theres not really a large number of places you can't avoid copping second hand smoke.

Originally Posted By: truthsetsfreeSmoking shows a weakness of character, no-one who knows its effects would smoke unless they thought it was "big" or "manly". It's a peer-pressure thing and only weak characters succumb and start smoking and then they are too weak to stop.

Peer pressure may well have some sort of component in this equation, but it varies from case to case, a good number of people actually do enjoy it. Nicotine is a stimulant and does alter mood in the right doses. These effects don't tend to occur after habitual use because of tolerance, however.

Your statements above aren't really an argument so much as an attack. Most people tend to take up smoking alongside drinking (A drug which lowers your inhibitions as well as lowering your ability to make good decisions) Due to intoxication the mood altering effects of nicotine become more noticeable.

This will make someone who is a "social smoker" often its because its a respite from the indoor and its something to do, usually it initiates as seeking the mood altering effects (Regardless of whether or not the subject is aware of this) but just being drunk doesn't protect you from addiction which will nag at you and with any addiction it drives you to make the decision yourself rather than actually FORCING you to have it, it makes you want it in more circumstances, creating circumstances in which it would be enjoyable to experience what it brings.

And finally...

Originally Posted By: truthsetsfree

Attacking someone else before they even make any comment is just silly and is akin to peer pressure, which you have so heavily condemned in your own post.

hug

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: truthsetsfreeWhy should you be able to smoke in prison? You are not allowed to drink take drugs or have sex (with someone else or a woman), why should you be able to smoke? It's meant to be a punishment. Why should smokers have a privilege denied to drinkers?
Anyway, smokers stink and endanger the lives of others. If it were a new recreation, introduced today, it would be banned because it is addictive and life-threatening. Stamp it out, it's not a matter of civil liberty unless you are crazy enough to believe that heroin, cocaine and other addictive substances are also civil rights. Smoking shows a weakness of character, no-one who knows its effects would smoke unless they thought it was "big" or "manly". It's a peer-pressure thing and only weak characters succumb and start smoking and then they are too weak to stop.

Some people's ignorance and self-righteousness is absolutely astounding.
(As a side note - its funny how often those two go hand in hand)

I started to type a long reply but I've just found myself shaking my head in disbelief that someone would post such rubbish in this forum.

My faith in humanity takes another beating...
EDITED_BY: Seye (1232108464)

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Thetruthsetsfree: Wow. I too almost went on a long tirade of why that post was insane, but I'm holding my tongue. I would like to point out that tobacco has been a huge part of many cultures in the past, and at times very important to economies.

Human

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: truthsetsfreeYou are not allowed to drink take drugs or have sex (with someone else or a woman)

eek umm laugh3

In-ter-est-ing wording there... can't help noticing..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
someone else OR A WOMAN!!!!!! because wimminz are never someone else. >.>

am i permitted to say obvious troll is obvious? i think mothernaturesson reply is an adequate rebuttal. especially since truthsets free hasnt responded.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Page: