Page:
alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
the new "no smoking" laws........

bad news people, this WILL affect festivals from 1st of july!!!!!!!!!

As the new laws states, any tempory or permanant structures, encompasing an enclosed space will be subject to the new anti smoking laws.

such to say, at a fetival, any marqueee consisting of a roof structure and side skirts is to be non smoking.

to comply with said new laws, such structures must comply, and in doing so........ any permanant or tempory structures MUST either......

A) only be a roofed structure

B) consist of a roof and one wall

for any marqee or tent hire company this means, that if such a stucture is hired only the roof can be erected, that means NO side skirts what so ever as that would concist as an "enclosed space"

This means that any bed and breakfast, hotel, hostel, commercial vehicle, home office, tent or marquee etc. from the 1st of july will be subject to such laws and prosicutable under such laws to the key of £2500.

this is bad news for any future event from july 1st 2007 onwards

god bless tony blair an his legacey frown

EDITED_BY: ravehead (1177367266)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
well I'm currently arranging the importation of over 1,000,000 fake cigarette replacements soon to hit UK shelves,

little plastic imitation cigarettes with a nicotine capsule inside, you can "smoke" it in restricted areas as it gives off no smoke and provides an instant nicotine hit ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

BRING ON JULY 1ST!!!!!

Contrary to what I lead my new employers to believe, that was the busiest bar I have ever worked in. And that smoke cloud was the thickest I have been in except for when I was living in Eastern Europe. And I could see it. I could feel it breathing it in. And now I fricken reak of it. Even my hair does. It's gross. It's disgusting. Plus I'm asthmatic.

I want to start a countdown til those laws come in. Just over month to go!!

I couldn't beleive when I went to melburp last year you could smoke in the pubs there - yuck! eek

here smoking is confined to one room, and come july 1, not inside at all

yay o rama

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Woohoo - I've just discovered that my local pub is going smoke free a month early biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
TWO MORE DAYS!!!!!!!

tonight at work will be my last night cleaning astrays and coming home stinking!
bounce ubbrollsmile bounce2

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
We've had non-smoking pubs/bars/restaurants etc... for a few years now-and they're fantastic! Too bad that didn't occur when I was in my bar and rave hay day.

There will be laws soon about not smoking in apartments as well-which is even more fantastic! My last rental the fella underneith me smoked so much my apartment stunk from him. I plugged up all my vents and froze during the winter just to keep the stench out.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
So not even in private apartments?

Wow! how will they enforce that? And how does that work with free choice?

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
I don't know how they will enforce it. They have hotel's that are smoke free-so maybe they'll do something similar? Maybe have one certain floor for smoking only? If you own your condo or house-you'll still be allowed to smoke of course.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Ah so it's a rental thing?

Yeah, we have that here at the discretion of the landlord

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
If anyone has a problem with this law, here's an idea - stop smoking.

7,193 posts

Posted:
so what about the hipies that like to smoke herbs mixed in with...............er................other herbs ubbangel biggrin

i know a few people that don't smoke tobacco, instead they smoke sheesha's ( hubbely bubleys) and we even have a café at our festival that has escaped the smoking stazi somehow.

my dad told me once "there's one thing worse than a non smoker.......and thats an ex-smoker"

going on some of these posts there certainly is a holyer than thou attitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"so what about the hipies that like to smoke herbs mixed in with...............er................other herbs" - Yeah, what about them? confused Hippes also have to conform to the law.

"i know a few people that don't smoke tobacco, instead they smoke sheesha's ( hubbely bubleys) and we even have a café at our festival that has escaped the smoking stazi somehow." - and your point is? umm They have escaped your so called "stazi" because, suprisingly, it isnt July 1st yet eek

"going on some of these posts there certainly is a holyer than thou attitude" - That because non smokers are.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

my dad told me once "there's one thing worse than a non smoker.......and thats an ex-smoker"

going on some of these posts there certainly is a holyer than thou attitude

I knew it all along. Instead of legalizing weed, they de-legalize tobacco and I bet that alcohol will be the last. Hang on, wait - I know some workaholics - I mean they are addicted to work and such. When will the government step in and prohibit working overhours? umm

Yes, I hear you - it's all about addiction and protecting yourself from yourself umm oh yes and all the innocent tobacco plants and second hand smokers... smokers are responsible for global suffering, right? But by the time we're calling for tougher gun legislation (where people kill each other and innocent people), where a huge multi-billion dollar industry is promoting and perpetuating global suffering on a REALLY big scale... By THIS time its all about "freedom of choice" and "self defense" ... *whispers: wtf umm * You know I am sick and tired of those, who stand there and think they are larger than life, (just) because they do not eat meat and they do not smoke and indulge on esoterica or "Buddhism" - condescending themselves on those who do (not)... You know what: You keep your censored attitude to yourself and I keep mine. Deal? Oh yes, "global suffering" my a.. umm it's hypocrisy nothing more, nothing less... [/rant]

Oh redface please excuse me for ranting ubbangel but I don't mind too much, because I'm sure you can meditate work it out. Most likely I don't even reach you. I just have to let it out. Yes, I know: unresolved chips just on my own shoulders *brushes them off* Thanks for the kind reminder... wink

Personally I appreciate the new smoking laws, really do. I think it'll be splendid to walk into a bar and get pissed all the way head to toe without having to inhale 20 packs of smoke and having to exile my clothes over night - I appreciate that trains, train stations and other public places will be smoke free. MOST certainly I think offices should be smoke free.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong I DO smoke. Maybe 1 - 3 cigarettes per day, sometimes none the entire week and some along with social drinking and dancing. Almost not before lunch/ dinnertime - exceptions to the rule. Oh yes - I did the sticky stuff too and nope, I haven't missed out on much this term. But tell you what: It's about people. I can be around people who smoke (weed) without having to judge them or condescend on them for being "weak". I can spend time with tripping people, or those on eccies - as long as I have fun myself. Nope, I am not around ppl who shoot up - because I simply feel they are dead boring. I'd rather build an Empire State replica scaled 1:20 from clipped fingernails.

But hey - global smoking ban? Every bar, every nightclub? Or even back in their private homes? umm It's a democracy, is it? You don't to smoke? So don't. What's the big deal? You don't like to be in the presence of smokers? So don't go there. You dislike your partner to smoke? Leave her/ him, there are more than 3 Billion potential others... You don't like your tenant to smoke, rent to a non smoker. Ya know I dislike noise, unpleasant sounds of most kinds - hence I cope with it, because I have to and because it's not ALL about me. Booo for narcissistic individuals who have to force themselves onto others.

I don't like the US gun laws?!? So I don't go to the US! Plain simple. If I do, I will have to accommodate - MY friggin problem. If I get shot by some ubbloco it's on my own account, isn't it?

You don't like working in a smoky bar? Don't apply for a job there, how 'bout that? Oh yes, I forgot "addiction"... as long as tobacco is free for sale, smoking cannot be illegal - right? Are you doing every drug that is out there and available? Why not? Right! Because you don't have to. You don't have to drink, you don't have to sniff glue, or to go for the red lights district and you don't have to gamble. All of the above can lead into addiction, might be a strong and lethal addiction either. People loose their homes and lives - other people make their money from that (crime)...

Really, never mind my trolling peace and ubblove to ya all - spank me if ya like, free beerchug for all the rest tongue

Non-Https Image Link

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

I don't like the US gun laws?!? So I don't go to the US! Plain simple. If I do, I will have to accommodate - MY friggin problem. If I get shot by some ubbloco it's on my own account, isn't it?

You don't like working in a smoky bar? Don't apply for a job there, how 'bout that? Oh yes, I forgot "addiction"... as long as tobacco is free for sale, smoking cannot be illegal - right? Are you doing every drug that is out there and available? Why not? Right! Because you don't have to. You don't have to drink, you don't have to sniff glue, or to go for the red lights district and you don't have to gamble.

But, by the same reasoning- you don't like the UK's democratically arrived at smoking restrictions? Presumably don't there either- problem solved smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Selective reading, Sir? umm I'd expect you to do better than that...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Selective reading?

I'd call it 'responding to one of your points' smile

On July 1st in the UK, smoking is disallowed in all enclosed public spaces.

This is to protect those who don't wish to inhale unpleasant/toxic emmissions.

Only time will, for sure, tell as to whether this is a good thing.

Being omptimistic though, every other UK smoking restriction to protect the public has previously been a huge success (eg bans on public transport, in schools, offices etc).

And most UK-ers seem to be looking forward to it, with even many addicted smokers saying they approve of it.

There's no real issue of freedom here- smoking addicts real freedom restrictions come mainly from their use of this highly addictive substance (not, for most, a 'choice' in the full sense of the word, as the majority of them unfortunately established their habit as children, in the UK many smokers start at 10, 12 years old)

but, to the extent that they can be said to choose to smoke, they are still free to do so, as long as it isn't in a enclosed public space where it would affect others.

As I say above, only time will tell as to the wisdom of this legislation, however, it's pretty obvious where I'm putting my money smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
And you find me supporting the notion, as I worded in my post.

What's your point, Dave? smile

My point is that by the time it goes into the ppls homes and by the time nobody is allowed to open up a smokers restaurant or (night) club anymore - it goes too far (IMO). shrug

Btw there are ppl out there who do choose (not) to smoke at will. But if you would now go as far and say that tobacco should get banned all together - as it's a plant of the devil - then you will find me laughing wink

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't think anyone is saying it should be banned altogether. Tobacco companies bring FAR too much tax in for governments to be banned wink

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
There is no true democracy in the world, merely democratically elected autocracy tongue ;(

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Like the cows choosing their butcher... But I am certain there are ppl who would love to see tobacco to get banned all together.

(le sigh)

I guess that's the curse of the old Indians. They can't deal with alcohol, we can't deal with the "little helper"...

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

Written by: FireTom

But, by the same reasoning- you don't like the UK's democratically arrived at smoking restrictions? Presumably don't there either- problem solved smile

Democratic.... oh so you mean we all got to vote for it,, must've missed that one lol biggrin wink

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'm not about to start campaigning for it or anything, but as you asked, I would quite happily see cigarettes banned altogether, people don't go for pipes or cigars the same way, and I got sick of seeing my friends health deteriorate from smoking years ago, let alone now. Only one of them still denies regretting it, and fortunately several have successfully quit, all have tried.

There'd be a transitional phase where many heavy smokers might try shifting their fix to the alternatives, but eventually it would peter out, and I'd expect the pipe & cigar smoker population to be about the same as it is now.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

7,193 posts

Posted:
it's a conspiracey between the government and the manufacturers of nicotine suppliments!!!!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pffft!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yes, because the manufacturers of nicotine suppliments bring as much money into the government as cigarettes do umm

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
There isn't a conspiracy.

However, I have noticed that the UK Govt health services when it comes to quitting advice/programs, heavily pushes those methods based on nicotine replacement eg patches/gum, rather than those like Carrs method (which advises against using nicotine replacements).

Obviously, some companies (probably within, or connected to, the tobacco industry) are making big profits with patches, whereas the Carr method is, in comparison, free.

I do wonder if that is part of the reason why the NHS seems so strangely apathetic when it comes to Carrs method?

I'm not saying the NHS is corrupt, but it's always been prone to influence by aggressive pharmacutical industry sales people.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

7,193 posts

Posted:
cheers dave that kind of what i ment wink

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
What's the Carr method? I've never heard of it.

You also need to consider the economy in general, not just companies leaning on the govenment. If everyone got milk for free from their own cow then that would have big economic implications. I would guess that the same goes for quitting smoking techniques; naturally something which involves the economy is going to be benefitial to the govenment as opposed to something which isn't.

And OWD not saying NHS is corrupt! eek *looks for apocalyptic horses* ubblol

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've never said the NHS is corrupt smile

I've said that its administrative system is inept and unprofessional- and that's something I don't think anyone could deny.

The Carr method- created by Allen Carr and described in his book 'The Easy Way to Give up Smoking'.

Well worth a read for anyone wanting to quit smoking, in particular it achieves good results with those who have tried the traditional methods (eg patches, gum, will power etc) and keep failing.

Carrs book has helped many, many smokers to escape their addiction- hte fact that it's almost unknown amongst NHS quitting advisors is a disgrace.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Allen Carr... is that the brother of Jimmy Carr?

Non-Https Image Link

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i went to a nightclub last night, and with the new no-smoking laws... it *STANK*. the place was rife with the scent of sweat. that was a downside i didnt expect ubblol

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Page: