Page:
alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
the new "no smoking" laws........

bad news people, this WILL affect festivals from 1st of july!!!!!!!!!

As the new laws states, any tempory or permanant structures, encompasing an enclosed space will be subject to the new anti smoking laws.

such to say, at a fetival, any marqueee consisting of a roof structure and side skirts is to be non smoking.

to comply with said new laws, such structures must comply, and in doing so........ any permanant or tempory structures MUST either......

A) only be a roofed structure

B) consist of a roof and one wall

for any marqee or tent hire company this means, that if such a stucture is hired only the roof can be erected, that means NO side skirts what so ever as that would concist as an "enclosed space"

This means that any bed and breakfast, hotel, hostel, commercial vehicle, home office, tent or marquee etc. from the 1st of july will be subject to such laws and prosicutable under such laws to the key of £2500.

this is bad news for any future event from july 1st 2007 onwards

god bless tony blair an his legacey frown

EDITED_BY: ravehead (1177367266)

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

spankplease don't call me stupid, i know i can be a muppet some times but on this subject i am being 100% serious

I thoroughly apologise my friend. hug hug2 I didn't mean that quite how it came across. I only realise how bad I was when I read it back there... spank Bad Chelly.

Again, sorry! redface hug

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
She wasn't calling you stupid, Dingbat. She was telling you not to be stupid. There's a big difference.

You're only cross cause no one agrees with you wink

hug

Meh

7,193 posts

Posted:
redface fair do's about prisons etc, that wasn't what was bugging me. basicly they're saing that from july any festival or fair will have to police the ban as people smoking in the tents will be breaking the law.............................UNLESS the tent is errected without any of the side skirting which is fine, if it's not windy. as soon a any wind gets up the tents going to get torn to shreads or take off

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I bet all the club VJs are a lot happier, now their expensive projectors aren't going to get [censored] up from being used in a smoky environment.

I've got burned on the arms a few time while dancing at clubs, because some dopey twats think it's OK to wave a lit cigarette around in a heaving crowd.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:

UNLESS the tent is errected without any of the side skirting which is fine, if it's not windy. as soon a any wind gets up the tents going to get torn to shreads or take off

The owners of the marquee/tents are not going to sacrifice the safety of the tents, just so people can smoke inside them.

I'm sure the owner would rather stop people smoking inside his marquee, then watch them light up inside it and see with wind 'rip it to shreds'

You are the one and only person I've come across who has a problem with this!

I think the general public are going to cope with this ban fine, with a few exceptions including yourself wink

Can you not see that its going to be better for everyone, smokers and and non-smokers together?

People get given laws, they follow them.

In a few months time this will feel like the norm and you will bre wondering what you were ever whinging about in the first place

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lots of people on HOP

draconian

Just because you know a word, it doesnt mean you know what it means!

Written by: Wikipedia

The stringency of his {Draco - look at the wiki link} legal code gave rise to the modern English word "draconian," meaning marked by extreme severity or cruelty, especially about laws or governments.

Just a random bit of information for everyone shrug
EDITED_BY: UnbearablyColdOrFreezing (1177495344)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
and I may be wrong, but there's nothing to stop you pitching your on mini marquee for sole purpose of, right?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Italy adopted the non smoking laws 2 years ago.

I love them, places are smoke free, you don't stink half as much when you go out. You can eat in restaurant's with out worrying if the couple next to you light up when your half way through your meal.

However, as for marquee's outside of restaurant's, they have to have only 3 sides to it, as long as there is only 1 part completely open it can be a smoking area. Any commercial area is smoke free.

My house is smoke free, there is my son ubbrollsmile ,like i wish to see him breathe my smoke. I tend to not smoke when I'm at home even out side, when I get in from work I maybe have one after dinner but that is a rare occasion.
I smoke heavy at work, fortunate that I can smoke on the job, we have a great boss... in my eye's it is not the smoke that will kills us, it's the metal dust were breathing in for up to 11 hours a day. rolleyes respiration masks confused they don't do nothing!, my mask cost me €800, powered, with 2 filters, closed faced etc... 3M jobbie, bah! piece of crap I tend not to use my only when I know that I need it I use it.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
My friend's girl lives in Dublin, where it's been banned indoors for a while. She says it's fine. Lots of pubs and bars set up little outdoor 'smoking areas' that have seats, shelter, tables etc and are just like being indoors anyways apart from there's no proper roof. She reckons the ban got lots of smokers talking to each other more, because everyone who wants to smoke has to go sit in a certain outdoor area so you start talking to a whole load of people who you didn't know before.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I saw a road sweeper today with

"edinburgh is not an ashtray" on the side.

I looked down for a second and saw.... next to the hedgerows, cigarette ends...

GET THAT SWEEPER ON THE PAVEMENT ubblol

you can get fined £50 if caught dropping a butt.

obviously, nobody cares!

Plus, walking past a pub on a Saturday afternoon is always ropey with all the drunks outside having a smoke at half time. I get scared.... lol

Smoking is a disgusting habit wink (non-smoker since halloween 2006 bounce )

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

astar2member
37 posts

Posted:
most of canada has similar smokeing laws now, or have them comeing, and it hasn't hurt anyones festivals, it hasn't hurt bars business, the only consequence is their is a lot more litter from cigarette butts from everyone smokeing outside and flicking their butts nonchalantly to the ground. Seriously do people go to festivals to smoke cigarettes and pot, or do they go to festivals to participate in the event? The only difficulty for festivals is they will have more litter to clean up at the end, and they will have to setup a few unenclosed shelters for rainy days. Maybe people with severe asthma and other respitory problems will show up in greater numbers because they can actually breath now. You didn't think of that did you rave head?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: astar2

Seriously do people go to festivals to smoke cigarettes and pot, or do they go to festivals to participate in the event?

these arent mutually exclusive

and i know certain events wouldnt be as happy and fun if there wasnt a large amount of herbal essences

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: astar2

Maybe people with severe asthma and other respitory problems will show up in greater numbers because they can actually breath now.

I have asthma, but fortunately it doesn't stop me from going out...anymore.
I used to train as an elite rower, and during that time, I would think twice about going out purely because of the amount of smoke in the air could be detrimental to my fitness. I trained hard enough as it was, and on the rare occasions I had the free time to be allowed to go out, frequently I was too worried to because it might hamper my performance. New laws would mean that this wouldn't be an issue.
(and in case anyone is going to jump on me for this; I didn't spin poi with fire until after I left elite rowing)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

astar2member
37 posts

Posted:
Im not saying that smokeing pot and going to festivals aren't mutually exclusive, I just don't that people are so zealous about smokeing pot at festivals that going out of a tent to smoke up is going to change their experience so much the event won't be the same to them anymore.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
'Herbal Essences' - ubblol

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
ubblol

im a smoker, and when it comes to festivals, if i want a cig then ill go outside. i have my own mini ashtray and i always try to keep away from non-smokers anyway.

i understand rave what you were saying before about freedom of choice, but with that choice we need to be fair on those who choose not to smoke or be around it. im tottaly fine with that. i will have my choice to smoke, but i also will keep away from non-smoker when i do that.

smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I had a trial for a new job at a pub last night. And this morning I've put my shirt on and it still smells like smoke.

Bring on July when the new laws come in!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
we've had no smoking in pubs or clubs for two years. its great, it means you only die of smoke inhilation when you're trying to get into or out of the venue through all the smokers on the street ubblol

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Rouge you should consider to change your shirt every day wink tongue But I agree - smoked out clubs are horrible and the reason for me not going out as much anymore (not that I'm not smoking myself, but I dislike the morning after).

Nothing better than a good party outdoors, at the beach or elsewhere... YAY for smoke free clubs and pubs.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

7,193 posts

Posted:
well the good news is we've found a way around people smoking in the tents at festival and thats to only hae the roof and 50% of the walls up wich is pretty much what we do anyway so my panics over.

one thing i dont agree with is the smoke wardens, talk about reviving the gistappo ubblol people will be encoraged to snitch on smokers and in turn those smokers will be interned at one of the many new "labour" camps biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"good news"? umm

rolleyes

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
hang on, so if it has a roof and 2 sides only then you're allowed to smoke?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ive noticed in scotland that the ciggrettes have left the clubs, but the weed hasnt. people take pipes in, and have a fly one in the middle of the crowd ubblol

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

hang on, so if it has a roof and 2 sides only then you're allowed to smoke?

it can have 3 walls and no roof or a roof and be only 50% walled in.

it'd be a pretty [censored] festival if you couldnt sit and chill out in the reggae tent and have a smoke.

next thing will they'll be shutting down free partys not because of noise complaints but because there is people smoking in the location ubblol

people will be getting sued for having a smoke on a pathway and someone walks past and objects...................when will this madness end?? ubblol

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:

when will this madness end?? ubblol

When everybody stops smoking in public? shrug

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It's interesting to see how things have moved on over the past year or so where threads like this are concerned.

Previously, these threads would tend to contain plenty of posts from irrate smokers posting pretty much in the way Ravehead is, claiming that the new smoking laws discriminate against smokers or are an attack pn personal liberty/civil rights etc.

Of course, the new laws are not an atack on liberty, they're entirely the opposite and fairly straightforward arguments easily show why.

Increasingly, however, it seems that this is becoming less of an issue and seen simply as straightforward common sense- from recent threads, including this one, it's obvious that many smokers not only have no issue with the new laws, but actually support them.

A common comment is that they belieive the new measures will help in their own efforts to quit the habit.

Written by:

when will this madness end??

The only madness, IMO, is that which has gone before and is in the process of being resolved by the new measures.

I do have simpathy for those addictied to nicotine, especially as, increasingly, many smokers are resolving to use the new restrictions to help quit the addiction- it's not nice to feel that maybe you're going to end up as the last one off a sinking ship.

But really, this new view of the reality of smoking is not madness, it's sanity and I do feel that future generations are really going to reap the benefits, not just in health terms, but also in the mental and spiritual well-being that comes from the liberty of not ending up enslaved to this substance.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The new laws in Victoria state that there must not be a roof and it must be separated by walls from anywhere non smoking.

I like that much better smile

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
BRING ON JULY 1ST!!!!!

Contrary to what I lead my new employers to believe, that was the busiest bar I have ever worked in. And that smoke cloud was the thickest I have been in except for when I was living in Eastern Europe. And I could see it. I could feel it breathing it in. And now I fricken reak of it. Even my hair does. It's gross. It's disgusting. Plus I'm asthmatic.

I want to start a countdown til those laws come in. Just over month to go!!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
just a sidenote: the new laws affect public spaces only, right? so within your own tent/marquee/whatever you're free to do what you please?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

7,193 posts

Posted:
as long as your tent/marquee is only for your use and not commercial or public use, it falls under the same restrictions as your car. if your giving work collegues a lift to work rgardless if they smoke or not it becomes a no smoking zone ubblolsome of the restrictions are a total joke.

Page: