Page:
UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
As everybody knows, there has been a lot of speculation about "size zero" and "size double zero". Some catwalk shows have banned models with a BMI below 17 (i think, its about there) and there was a programme on last night that showed two healthy size 12 women that did whatever they could think of to shrink to a size zero in 4 to 6 weeks.

They say that this behaviour encourages people of my age (15) and younger (a recent survey showed that girls as young as 9 are crash dieting to look thinner) to lose weight, and i think they're right. Using myself as an example: i'm in the mind that if i was thinner then people would like me more and that i'd be happier. Although i wouldn't mind being thinner, i am a believer in healthy living so i'd never diet dangerously. However, many young people (and older people aswell) are doing this.

So basically, i want your opinion on this topic in general, and opinions on things such as what you think the government, and the general public can do to make this better.

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

916 posts

Posted:
rainbowgirl: i didnt even think about those factors! since its only based on weight and height, there are loads of things that could make it incorrect! oh wow, this is a revalation! lol but now i don't actually know if i'm the 'right' weight, or if i'm over weight or what, oh this is so confusing!

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pyrolific

wow I got - 23.7 at 186cm / 82kgs (6'1" / 180pounds) - which is only *just* inside the upper limit for healthy BMI.

What a joke of a measure...sorry people but I honestly think that for me to get down to the optimal BMI of about 21.5 (it seems) I would need to weigh 75kgs! I dont think I could do that without either heavy dieting

Josh

Granted, there are factors that BMI doesn't take into account so yes, if you are over 25 BMI or under 18 then you should seek medical advice, even if this is just to check that you are healthy and find out if it is down to your bone density/muscle etc.

But as far as I know, BMI is the best measure that the health services have come up with so far to determine if someone is a healthy weight. It's not perfect, but it offers a fair indication for the general population to determine if their health might be put at risk.

I don't think you need to aim to be 21.5 to be healthy, as anywhere between 18.5 and 25 is considered a healthy weight for your height. For example, I know I can weigh anywhere betweeen 8st4lbs and about 10st2lbs and I'm still in the healthy range. It's only when you go over or under these parameters that you should perhaps go and speak to your doctor, just in case. smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

astar2member
37 posts

Posted:
what's up with size zero anyways? What if someone is smaller then size zero? are they a -1?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
sz 00

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I am sorry but obese is NOT good body image. Yes, being underweight is bad and not a very good body image, but being obese is definitely NOT good body image either!!!

By "better body image" they are referring to the way they percieve their body, to put it another way they feel happier about what they see in the mirror, are less paranoid about their weight and more comfortable with their body, therefore less inclined to want to lose weight. It doesn't refer to their actual weight or physical health.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Do obese people have better body image? I think a lot of them are still uncomfortable and unhappy about the way they look. Starving oneself isn't the only reaction to not liking what you see in the mirror.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
Being of an "athletic build" (a skinny beggar) for the first many years of my life, I was always really paranoid as a guy about being too small. Being 6'1" just made me look even lankier an kind of stupid. Tried everything to put on wieght short of steroids.

Then i went out with a girl who was getting over an eating disorder an she totaly changed my idea on body image. She went from extreme dieting to comfort eating so lots of rapid wieght loss and gain. Comfort eating when she felt her diet wasn't working. I think if your healthy then being a little slim/curvy is cool.
Though always preffered slightly curvyer women. Its a boob thing.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

916 posts

Posted:
haha darkness, thanks for the opinion, and the whole guy perspective on this, does anybody know a man that has had an eating disorder then?

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Tea Fairy

Do obese people have better body image? I think a lot of them are still uncomfortable and unhappy about the way they look. Starving oneself isn't the only reaction to not liking what you see in the mirror.

In general, no, I don't think so. I don't think there is a causative link between body image and obesity. However there is probably a link between the culture of dieting, and aesthetic idealism, and people being concious of their weight; to the point that in a subculture where the pressure (percieved or real) to be slim is less apparent, the average BMI may be higher. My experience in the lesbian community (which are of course, mine alone and may not be representative of others experience) was of women being accepted as they werem and always considered beautiful in their own way, I certainly never had a lairy suiter in a women's bar slur "f*rkin' 'el look at the arse on that". Seriously though, as well as the individuals' attitudes towards image, there is a definate cultural difference. Next time you are in a newsagent, pick up a copy of Diva magasine, and compare the models in it to those in a standard glossy women's mag.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I know a man who has had an eating disorder, but it wasn't due to body image pressures/associations.

In the media, Daniel Johns from Silverchair had anorexia. That was quite a publically known thing in AUstralia (that band was pretty big over here for a while)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I know a guy with anorexia too. We never really spoke about it though, as he is rather delicate.

I think the idea that anorexia nervosa is caused by "feeling fat" is a misconception, and doesn't really do the condition justice. There are strong link to low self esteem, but there is more to it than simply thinking you are overweight.

At the same time however, an unhealthy attitude towards dieting, especially where there are hints of OCD certainly does lead to eating disorders. It's just important to understand that anorexia (refusal to eat) is not the same as anorexia nervosa (a mental illness).

197 posts

Posted:
Men tend to be much less concerned with their phiscal apearance, though so called "bigorexia" had a really breif spotlight in the news a few years back. Its guys, paticuarlly adolescent males with whats usually known as small man syndrome. Where they becomed obsessed with their size and work out all the time to try to be big meatheads. It seems to be quite common amongst short men who feel they have to overcompensate for their height.

On the flip I've known women litterally run themselves in to the ground where they go mental on CV excercises combined with not eating properly an make themselves reaaally ill. Never encountered any guys who were concerned about being overweight though. But my brother was very touchy about being fat as a teenager. (he should have kept out the damn fridge!)

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
I think it is a healthy thing for the general population to be concerned about what today's society as well as the media portrays as beautiful. I think that earlier post about the kindergarten children should serve as another of a million real wake up calls on this topic. What do you guys think it would take to create a shift in this?

I am a bit confused though. I've heard a fair bit of complaining or negativity toward dieting. Dieting is a billion dollar industry and we all know very well that many are quite unhelathy/expensive/ineffective, resulting in disappointment for so many people out there. These diets, of course, are bad. What's also bad, in my opinion, is talking negatively about diets generally. Just like anything else, there are so many out there that you really can't generalize them all into one big lump. And all a diet is, is the amount and types of foods that people eat right? We are ALL on a diet here. Whether or not we're monitoring it or not is another story.

I don't feel it's right to put such a negative air on dieting and people doing so in order to be thin. Have you folks not noticed the global fattening that's going on? Mind you, I am not saying that it is acceptable to encourage eating disorders or anything unhealthy. But that uncludes eating too much and being overweight. Overweight and obesity is costing our countries more than skinniness ever has. Obesity is causing far more deaths than this "thinsation". In this thread, I feel like there is a tone of "love your body even if it's fat. If you're thin, go ahead and eat lots!" That is an unhealthy attitude in my opinion. I try my best to keep myself healthy and surrounded by healthy people. I have never dated an obese man. If he won't love himself enough to stay as healthy as possible, it makes it difficult for me to love in return. I don't feel that it makes me a shallow person, but if to someone else that makes me shallow, I am not appologetic.

Again, I'm not saying that people are bad. I'm saying that health risks are bad.. And where I'm from there are a whole lot more people who are ill, in hospitals, dying or all three because of too much weight rather than from not enough.

What I am getting at is much the same as everybody else. Take care of your body. Get fit. Love it.

197 posts

Posted:
Have to agree with the point Vague Rant is getting at. Icouldn't be in a relationship with somebody i didn't find attractive no matter how much i cared for them.

Otherwise they may as well just be mates.

Its important to take care of your self and to be happy with your body image as well as being healthy though.

Page: