Forums > Social Discussion > "making easier president declare martial law"

Login/Join to Participate

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm posting this half in fear of being accused of America Bashing, but I feel this is something worth putting up here. Feel free to doubt the truth of it, but I have tried to find reputable sources.

Basically, recent laws have been passed in the US making it easier for martial law to be declared.

Written by: Senator Leahy

changes to the Insurrection Act, which will make it easier for this or any future President to use the military to restore domestic order WITHOUT the consent of the nation’s governors. To put it another way, the Defense Authorization Bill will actually encourage the President to declare federal martial law – something has been done in only three — three — occasions over the past several decades.

https://leahy.senate.gov/press/200609/091906a.html

I found the above after my friend gave me links to this and this and being unsure of their reliability I then checked some of the references. Unfortunately, I could only obtain the reference above because the others were text based, and the second url wasn't working for me.

According to wikipedia, the changed were made in late 2006.

So here is food for thought. But no attacks on me please.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You certainly are anti-american and we will send the CIA and NSA after you!

devil

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

astar2member
37 posts

Posted:
The Omega force are going to descend on your house with black helicopters!

I don't know what it's like to live under martial law, and I hope I never have to find out.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol

and glad to see you're cntrl+V again tongue

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I'm inclined to think these are relatively unimportant changes. In event of disaster it might actually be useful, although I wouldn't bet any money on it.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
You can't force people to be happy.....

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-