DreeznBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning for about a month now, and i've learned most of the moves quite quickly. I know most basic 'wave' moves and some stuff in 'buttefly' as well.

I've got a quite fluid routine that i'm working on, but i have no idea how move to butterfly when doing a wave in a fluid motion. It seems that one poi needs to change direction, but i have now idea how to do that. Or are there other ways?

Can someone help me out please? smile

How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale!

How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spreads his claws,
And welcomes little fishes in,
With gently smiling jaws!

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
There are a few ways of doing it. One poi indeed need to change direction, and to acheive this, you can either bend your planes , do a stall, or do a wrap.

Plane bending is where you change the angle the poi are spinning at, for example if you're spinning the poi both forwards same time in the wheel plane (ie beside your hips), and you slowly move both round so they're spinning in front of you, you'll end up in a butterfly.

Or do a stall (stop one poi, and change it's direction of spin).

Or do a wrap (wrap it round a body part, and let it bounce back in the other direction). Arms, legs, whatever.

Good luck smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
There's one more way which is to make a sideways part figure eight with one poi to change direction.

eg. you're spinning a clockwise circle in front of you, and as the poi reaches about the 2 o'clock position, you drop it down your right hand side (trying to keep the plane so it swings out to the right as much as possible as it goes down behind you), then as it comes up make the circle larger and bring it up in front of you and back into the original plane, but in the opposite direction.

I keep doing it accidentaly while working on butterfly weave moves, ending up doing ordinary 3 beat weave (one reason not to let body memory get too strong).

If I can manage to reverse it and do it with both hands I'll have a very fluid way of switching direction of one poi at a time.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.