Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
A very scary fact came to my attention whilst dancing one evening...

i was a little wasted and i noticed a strange thing happening to my hands and feet when i was dancing that got worse and worse. the more i got wasted and the upper parts of my brain began to shut down they relinquished control to the more "primitive" parts of my brain. the part that controls breathing, moving and ordering drinks-and to my horror also poi.

now i'd normally be happy that certain poi moves had moved into the subconscious but not when trying to dance!! i found myself attempting various poi moves with no poi on the dance floor. looks very very ridiculous.

anyone else have this problem? and does it happen with people that use staff too? you have been warned.

Ninjas NEVER give up!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
It's not a problem, hell, that's how I learned to dance in the first place.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

flokiGOLD Member
183 posts

Posted:
why can´t we just "dance as if nobody is watching" ?
... my wrists are extremely loose while dancing ... this will be the poi-part in the dance ... but what the hack ... every trend has to be set by someone ... who knows ... saterday night fever III ... with YT on the affiche ...

i´ll vote for you !

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
Hmmm Saturday Night Fever III, maybe the title of my COL entry?! At least i'll have 1 vote-cheers Florre. i'll just do poi without poi and some glowsticks. Anybody else in?-we could start a new dance craze.

Like poi just less dangerous.

Ninjas NEVER give up!

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Well, I have never been one for dancing. Liquid dancing is about as far as I go (Anyone familiar should realize how close the hand movements for a weave is to a figure 8 move when liquid or energy ball dancing). So I guess it's not that big of a problem for me. I do incorporate my moves from poi, and yes even staff.

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I do the same thing. It doesnt matter whether i'm in a club, pub or even car. A good tune comes into my head and i can't help it!
The art of 'air poi' as an alternative to 'air guitar'. Its highly addictive!

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

Krystelmember
26 posts

Posted:
ok - i'll admit it too - i have been known to play 'air poi' from time to time.
Especially while walking thru town passin peps playing drums??...i just can't help myself...my hands just start playn with imaginary poi....i have gotten plenty of weird looks in the past but at least most of my mates are used to it now....

Why be a second rate version of somebody else when you can be a first rate version of yourself!

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
he he he
we are all victims of this cruel yet rewarding torture...and i wouldnt have it any other way

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
Who said it was a problem? it's no problem! I do it all the time when I'm in a club, a funky beat comes on and I'm doing butterfly moves and weaves and pretty much my whole repertoire of moves but without the poi. my friends would be like "he's at it again!" I've had people come up to me and ask whether I was a pro dancer even! I always thought I couldn't dance for $h!t
Just let loose and go with the flow. Don't believe anyone who tells you you look silly, so long as you feel comfortable doing it - do it.

Dilbert's Words of Wisdom -
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either!
You are slower than a herd of turtles stampedeing through peanut butter!

Oh yeah.... Don't tell the ants

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Dance like no one is watchin- ALWAYS - who cares what you got or not got in your hands.. people who mock are just jealous coz they get all self concious and worried about going with the flow.. sod them all - shake dat ass!

I dance when there isn't even any music... it's all in my head and thats all I need - people think I'm nuts.. I guess I must be - if thats what they think.. hahahah!!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
I have no problem people thinking that i look ridiculous when i dance, i am often known to "shake dat ass" when clubbbing. most of the night usually and have been told i'm a good dancer.

and yeah doing poi does help dancing/coordination etc. but this specifically happens when i get wasted. it stops being dancing influenced by poi and just becomes poi without chain and fire-then it just looks silly. it stops being dancing and you become the crazy inebriated person on the dance floor flailing madly. (maybe not that bad)

not gonna stop me though

Ninjas NEVER give up!

Ningalmember
23 posts

Posted:
I think I have fallen victim to what you are saying, also. Not the part about using your hands like you’ve got poi – that ain’t no crime. The part I mean is that I was the victim of someone else’s misunderstanding while I was using my hands! My eyes were closed and I was having at it on the dance floor and one of my friends (can you believe it!) said, “What are you doing, spinning poi?”

“What? What?!? What!?!”
I thought and then I stopped…

So now when I’m goin’ off with the air poi, I remember what my first, and so far my last, poi mentor told me. It was my first night spinning back at her apartment outside of Amsterdam where we were living when she told me, “Poi is an art of the hands; the ball/fire is just the expression of them.” So go on with your Bad-Ass-Air-Poi-Self!

>^o^<

Woo!HCH No 2
216 posts

Posted:
Air poi are excellent when you're trying to pull off a move which would require a chain passing through your neck or torso...Of course explaining what you just did to the innocent viewers mightn't be as easy.

Xirtammember
37 posts

Posted:
It does seem to happen very easily doesn't it? I mean, I'm new to poi...I've been at this, what, a month or so? But I've gone out every nice day, down to park and practiced for a while. I don't club much but I have a friend who is 10 years younger and likes to go dancing. So she drags me out last weekend and sure enough she poked me at one point and said, "Nenna, you're spinning". Oops. Oh well, it was fun and I kept doing it. No worries for me as Boo (my pal) is cute, small, and a semi professional dancer so who'd be watching me? I say, Spin! Spin everywhere! with anything! or nothing as the case may be

Xirtam (who is also called Nenna)

And Daddy! They took my boot!

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
no come to think off it I never have got wasted and pulled off air manouvers, but usually when i get wasted in club's and places where I can't twirl. I have a back up plan
1: find some lolly pop sucking glow stik dancing girl and blag her glowstix
2: remove both your shoe laces tie them to your glowstix
3: kick the podium dancer off the podium
Hope that helps