Forums > Videos > Fire Breathing Guinness World Record Attempt -Beijing

Login/Join to Participate

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Hi there,

I went to Beijing at the end of last year to try and break my own record for fire breathing. I just got a copy of the video, so thought I'd put it up here for people to see:

Fire Breathing Guinness World Record Attempt -Beijing

from.draevon

Androgen Fire Art

www.androgen.net.au

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
That was pretty impressive, too bad you didn't break your record though.
Maybe I'll go practice my fire breathing now, I started experimenting with it in France but never really pursued it.

PS: You have cool hair

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
cool thanks for sharing

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
Nice! I hope one day ill be able to breathe fire like that! wow

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Draevon, nice to see you back on HoP.

I'd like to point out that this video is a damn good example of how not too fire breathe.

I'd have thought that Guinness would have had very strict health and safety practices in place for that!.

For the fact that the you sets your tee-shirt on fire and didn't notice, the presenter comes running in to put out the fire and make you wonder what was going on and the presenter nearly falls on his ass from the wet paraffin coated flooring.

Just because this is for Guinness or not, I think that it disrespects the whole aim of safety awareness that we try to create here on HoP as a community... for the fact that it was for Guinness and that there was a lack of any safety from either party in my opinion...

then that shouldn't be shown here, no offence Draevon.

But congratulations on you record in 2005.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
As there is no description of how this works i'm left wondering :

Do they measure the hight from the ground!... how does that work?

If the record holder is 1mt 35com tall and holds the record of 5mt he blew a 3mt 65cm flame

so if new guy is 1 mt 50cm, he only has to blow a smaller flame to beat short stuff and gain a new record.

The flame in my opinion should be measured from the point of EXIT to the point of DISPLACMENT other wise that seems unfair.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

I'd have thought that Guinness would have had very strict health and safety practices in place for that!.

For the fact that the you sets your tee-shirt on fire and didn't notice, the presenter comes running in to put out the fire and make you wonder what was going on and the presenter nearly falls on his ass from the wet paraffin coated flooring.

Just because this is for Guinness or not, I think that it disrespects the whole aim of safety awareness that we try to create here on HoP as a community... for the fact that it was for Guinness and that there was a lack of any safety from either party in my opinion...

then that shouldn't be shown here, no offence Draevon.

But congratulations on you record in 2005.

Guinness aren't really that good at making efforts to research and understand many of the arts they record records for.

It's well known in juggling that there's been considerable controversy about guiness juggling records, to the extent that several of their numbers records are actually false and the juggling community has set up its own database of records cos guinness can't seem to get it right.

(They had problems in the past with confusing a 'flash' for a juggle, for example).

https://www.juggling.org/records/FAQ.html#plates

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
To respond to a bit of this - First of all, the record is measured from the ground. I know this isn't ideal, and I am certainly aware of the difference in record height depending on the height of the performer, but in attempting to break an existing record for Guinness, I am forced to follow the conditions of the record set previously. For Guinness, the conditions under which the original record is established are the conditions under which all other record attempts must be attempted. The original record and all other record attempts have been measured from the ground.

I believe the original record was something over three metres, then Bob set the record at 4.1 metres, which I later broke to set the current record at 5.4 metres. All of these records were measured from the ground as that is part of the conditions of this record. These conditions were set long before I ever made an attempt on the record.

As far as safety goes, obviously it is regrettable that I caught fire, but it certainly highlights the ever present danger that is a part of fire breathing. This is actually the first time I'm ever had an item of clothing catch alight. Safety was not completely disregarded as PK has suggested. The host (in the suit) was prepped in spotting prior to the attempt. There was a second spotter on the other side of the set about 3 metres from me equipped with a fire blanket, as well as a studio fire warden with an extinguisher a little further off stage with two ambulance officers. The floor was mopped after the initial introduction performance and again between each of the attempts. I was wearing triple layered cotton clothing and was covered in barrier cream on my face, neck and entire upper body. I had consumed milk, bread and activated charcoal capsules before and after the show as well as several other bits and pieces as part of my personal safely regime. I was using a fuel with a flashpoint of 41 degrees celsius and had copies of the MSDS on site.

As I said it's not ideal that there was an incident, but if you mix fuel and fire there is always the chance that something like that will happen. It is because of the various safety measures in place that no-one was hurt and the incident was minimised.

.draevon
Androgen Fire Art

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Glad to hear that there were safety measures in place, and as you said the incident was minimalised and that you or others didn't sustain injury.

In regards to the measurements procedure, I think that overall that they are very unfair and inaccurate they should be using imaging equipment that can take multi frame stills against a plain background so that they can measure the flame accurately from exit to highest point of the flame.

I agree with Dave that Guinness are slack with understanding what they are doing recording these art forms... better leave it to independent experts in the know.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The short title for this thread is: Fire breathing Guinness..

ubblol