• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

TheBovrilMonkey
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Total posts: 2629
Posted:On a whim, I bought a copy of Welcome Back, Frank - one of the Punisher graphic novels.

I've read it twice already and I really want to buy some more Punisher stuff to read.
Since I know there's a fair few comic book fans on this board, I thought that here's a good a place as any to ask if anyone has any recommendations of which ones to read next?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete Topic

Astar

Total posts: 1591
Posted:Beware of the new punisher movie.

Worst casting ever.

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Posted:Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw who was cast.

Then I thought that he might be able to pull it off, depending on the script and the rest of the cast, and I can't really think of anyone else who really stands out for the role.

Actually, I'd like to see Tom Hanks do it, purely for comedy value

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

DaiTenshi

Total posts: 104
Posted:The casting doesn't really bother me, great costume BTW.

Waht bothers me is..... uh, isn't punisher supposed to be a Vietnam War vet? (If so, how exactly am I supposed to believe a 50-something guy beating criminals senseless?

Honestly, Vietnam Vets are getting older every year (kind of a "duh" statement, but you get my point, I hope).

No one knows me like I do.

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Posted:The same way you're supposed to believe that Batman can still do it when he's 60, like he is in The Dark Knight Returns. He constantly gets hit first because he's slightly slower than he used to be and he can't run for as long before starting to run out of breath.

It'd be easier for the punisher actually, since he prefers to stay at shooting distance rather than Batman's unarmed fighting.

Looking at how they've cast Thomas Jane though, I think they'll just update it slightly - there are plenty of places to have picked up the Punisher's level of combat prowess.

Hmm, I've just found a rumour that mentions he was an undercover FBI agent. Not fantastic really, I was expecting him to at least have been a soldier of some kind.

Delete

Prometheus

Prometheus

Diamond In The Rough

Total posts: 459
Posted:I've never been a big fan of the punisher, but I do have one comic that I've always loved. "The Punisher Meets Archie." It's an older book, and I only bought it as a fluke, but it's a good story and a marvelous blending of genres.

There's a criminal who happens to look just like Archie, and just happens to hide out in Riverdale. So the punisher follows and has interludes with Jughead, Veronica, the whole gang, demolishes the high school dance, shoots up the malt shoppe, etc.

I like absurd crossovers

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Delete

Astar

Total posts: 1591
Posted:I just bought this totally awesome (and pretty rare) ring!

Got it cheaper then the auction listed. gotta love circumnavigating ebay and ripping them off and saving money at the same time.

Bling bling.

Delete