v26newbie
13 posts

Posted:
Ok so i first found out about poi at a college demonstration, thought it would be fun to have a go, got the hang of actually swinging them and then alternate swinging. so i thought i would buy myself some, well i can cope with simple swings, but i just can't get the hang of new moves and getting really annoyed at myself and omg it hurts, being bashed in the head, arm, back, eye, places i didnt know i could get hit by a ball. i'm looking to buy some of those light furry soft non hurting poi, which i will then pass on to my son (if i ever get the hang of them)

any tips of a good dvd, or anything to get my hand eye, arm co-ordination actually work together ubblol

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
Perfect solution!!

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
go to the store and look under video's
we all hit ourselves, it's just part of poi, if you don't hit yourself, you're not trying biggrin
after time you will feel how to follow the poi

people seem to like the fuzzy poi in the shop
or you could get some stuffed animals and spin those smile

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

v26newbie
13 posts

Posted:
i've seen the fuzzy poi and im considering buying some when i next get paid.....not sure on the stuffed animals though. (dont think my son would let me use his teddies).

k8etSILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
what are you using now? knee high socks with a bag of rice in it is good - don't wrap the rice bag too tightly, with extra room in there, it doesn't hurt much when you hit yourself. and you can adjust the weight - i love my fuzzy poi but they are on the light side, to learn, i like it a little heavier so i can go slower!

the video is great though wink

aka hunnybear in burning man circles
avatar: hunnybear - nj - 06/16/07 (c) abjectphoto

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
when it hits you, you get better =D
next time, you will try to move with the poi so it wont hurt you, instead of standing around waving your arms smile
so dont worry, i lost count of times i was rolling on the floor after hitting myself in the nuts with sticklights (THE PAIN! but luckily, i still have my nuts, i just dont know if i can have any kids anymore frown)

Love is Life

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
try poi_fox_with_balls_pink

wink

btw: the slower you go, the less it hurts

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

v26newbie
13 posts

Posted:
the ones ive got at the moment are i think called cobra's unless that means im using a big snake.....but i found that the only downside to them is that because they have tails, they make it a little more difficult to practice new moves, they seem to get tangled more......thanks for the tips of socks and rice, neighbours might think im rather strange, but might give it a go

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
oops redface forgot to point at THE most convenient way: ropes!

Just take a piece of (nylon) rope and put a knot on the ent... that's the way I was able to re-approach poi, years after a "groin-stop"... rolleyes umm ubblol wink

v26newbie
13 posts

Posted:
now thats something i can do.....i just realised before though that all i need to do is to buy the furry fluffy ends/balls and not the whole thing as i already have the nylon and swivels etc

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Yep...dump the tailed poi, at least for learning moves..see you have strings AND tails to get tangled, and the goal is to reduce the frustration factor as much as possible while learning

My sock poi have aquarium gravel in them, due to that unfortunate experience I had with unbagged rice in them, leaving them out in the rain, tossing them still wet in the trunk of my car, and a smell resembling a decomposing body emanating from said trunk a few days later.

Yes heavier=slower which is good as it gives you just that much more time to think about what you're doing. Most people who are new to these arts tend to spin too fast, it's an unconscious thing, springing from ( I think ) trying harder.

v26newbie
13 posts

Posted:
how can u tell if its too fast or not? after posting this i went out to practice again, and managed i think....to get my right hand and wrist to swing over my shoulder....so whooohooo improvement.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
its all down to personal preferance whatever is most natural to you Btw i found the best way to learn was long socks with two juggling balls in them i found the new rainbow led ones i got a little two hard mind and there off hop

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
see what feels right for you, experiment with length and weight
i like my tails because i have really crappy planes and it helps me visualize
if your's has tails and you don't want them, just wrap them around the bean bag part and rubber band them in place

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
you can't be too slow - as long as the balls stay in the air, just to come from the other end

v26newbie
13 posts

Posted:
thanks for the help guys, ...never thought about using rubber bands.

question......do you think that my husband would notice if i used socks and rice and then served up the rice for tea, ubblol ubblol

theCaitiffnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Personally I use two baseballs in the end of a pair of tube socks. The baseballs are heavy enough that they spin very slowly, so slowly they don't hurt that much when I whack myself.

It's easy to know when I'm spinning too fast, first my wrists get tired (at a proper speed they're nearly effortless), then I get a wicked looking bruise. I tend to learn pretty quickly.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: v26

thanks for the help guys, ...never thought about using rubber bands.

question......do you think that my husband would notice if i used socks and rice and then served up the rice for tea, ubblol ubblol

you serve rice with tea, errm tea with rice? umm

guess you're okay, unless you garnish the whole thing with Arsenic powder... wink

v26newbie
13 posts

Posted:
no arsenic, but crushed glass might work...so ive been told....*cough* hey i made progress, i managed to get my wrist to swing my new made sock behind me, with both my left and right hand....whooohoooo....only thing now is when i try to alternate and swing one in front and one behind, its just not happening, its like the one behind me has a mind of its own, ubblol

cosmicmonsterSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm just learning myself and I thought hitting myself could be avoided, but it can't. Only with practice. You will hit yourself at first, but don't get frustrated. Imagine you have fire poi, and you hit yourself. Your as* is getting caught on fire. So, obviously, the idea is to get good enough and comfortable in the movements enough to NEVER hit yourself. But until you get comfortable, keep it slow. I was doing the weave and I thought I had it really good, so I started going viciously fast and when I hit myself, surprised, I had an enormous bruise.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: v26

no arsenic, but crushed glass might work...so ive been told....*cough* hey i made progress, i managed to get my wrist to swing my new made sock behind me, with both my left and right hand....whooohoooo....only thing now is when i try to alternate and swing one in front and one behind, its just not happening, its like the one behind me has a mind of its own, ubblol

if your doing them at hip level, make sure your wrist is pointing down not up, that will inprove your planes.

NOT like the fist part of this lesson, but like the second part, seen from the back. (id turn the sound off too wink )

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti