Forums > Social Chat > How do you stop yourself becoming disheartened?

Login/Join to Participate

BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
See I was thinking outside after trying the millionth air wrap and failing miserably for the millionth time today..and of the last 6 months i have been trying to learn it daily and only getting marginily somewhere....i can do one every now and again....*sigh*....anyway i was thinking just how easily it is to become disheartened by something you are learning..whever it be poi. staff. contact...playing an instrument. Sometimes the urge to chuck whatever it is you are doing on the floor and to scream out "argh i give up I just can not do it" is overwhelming..happens alot to me especially becuase i am such a slow learner..i practice for atleast an hour often more daily and have done for the last year..yet if i went to my local park and talked to the other poi swingers there many of them practice less and can do far far more then me...and it must happen to everyone...

so how do you try and combat those times where you really just want to give up....or the times you just feel bad becuase you feel like you are getting nowhere fast...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
stop thinking... wink

I recognised that the more I "just did it" the better it went.

But I am too hungry for self-approving to unsuccessfully practice a move for a million times. I tend to go back to something I can improve - but know already how to do it - in order to keep the "auto-gratification level"...

And finally, take this section of Ehrmanns "Desiderata":

"If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or(*) bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans."

(*) originally "and"

Hope that helped a bit, because ultimatly nobody gets anywhere else...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Do other stuff.

Then go back to this.

There's tons of stuff I didn't get for years. Then one day, I got it. Didn't practice for hours, didn't drill every day, just got it.

There are tons of different directions to go in. If you hit a wall in one direction, go in another. If you're having trouble with geeky stuff, take the stuff you know and do it differently.

Worst case scenario: Get bigger wicks and wear less clothes. That's always an improvement. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
NYC's right...... it's worked for me for years smile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
confused

for years already? umm

so you're now spinning in thongs with 8ft of wick? umm tongue

help footinmouth

[edit]btw, I didn't read your blog before posting above...

thinking too much, i.e. rationalizing really doesn't help learning Poi.... shrug

Written by:

i can see potential, have turning around fairly good now, need to practice flowers and getting from butterly moves to weave moves without doing wraps...or how to do wraps with fire..but I think I am getting a bit ahead of myself there.

redface 'xcuse me lurking around corners... wink

But NYC, admit you were using the wick-part of your advice for not appearing sexist and after you've seen how cute she's ... spank bad boy
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1176314025)

BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
"thinking too much, i.e. rationalizing really doesn't help learning Poi..."

I generally over think everything...which does my head in....but my brain has no turn off switch when its already analysed and thought about something enough allready ..ha

Thanks for your replies....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
then Poi is about perfect for you...

There comes the point - some refer to it as "the Zone" - where your mind just enjoys "the Flow" (of it all). Having an active, analytical brain is good (that's what it's for) but it's not true, that it has no "turn off switch".

u r welcome

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BamBam

NYC's right...... it's worked for me for years smile

Practically landed you a husband it did.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I'm obviously a weird one, because I tend to think of moves in advance, and learn how to do them by visualising them before I ever attempt them. Normally I get moves within about 5 minutes of actually trying them properly like that. Unless the move requires ridiculous accuracy with planes anyway, in which case just drilling it is the way forward.

So I have to disagree with "rationalizing doesn't help learn poi", because for me it's completely essential. But everyone's different, which is a good thing.

When I hit things I can't do, I switch to juggling or staff and do that for a bit. Normally there's always something that I can learn, and everything stays fresh. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

mykrmeburning from inside
165 posts

Posted:
When it happens that I can´t do something, I just leave it for a while and read a bit (a lot - to cool myself down) or I go and "explain" it to a punching bag - helps a lot - then I go and try again...

that's YOUR opinion...

from fire we´re born, to fire we return...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
for everything except behind the back weave, the mirror helped...i watch the video and then think and visualize and then work in front of a mirror
it helps for us overthinking types

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
I had a similar problem with unicycling.. I got to a certain stage and just couldn't improve. I practiced and practied everyday but I was only getting frustrated and not improving.. Then I got an injury and couldn't unicycle for around 8 months.

I've just started again and I've found that I'm improving very quickly and am at a higher level than I was before I stopped. smile

I think it's a matter of not 'over-practicing' If you're getting frustrated with something, give it a break and try something else.. Then go back to it with a fresh mind and just have fun wth it smile

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
fun? what tis fun?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed