georgemc
georgemc

Sitting down facing forward . . .
Total posts: 2387
Posted:So first of all you'll have noticed we changed the title of this area from Circles of Light to the more generic HoP Competitions. Hopefully this won't cause too much confusion!

And even though we haven't put up the Calendar Photo Competition entry page we have decided to also have ANOTHER competition.

Announcing the "Why Spin?" Competition: http://www.homeofpoi.com/competition/why_spin.php

So now everyone has something to do on those rainy days/nights when you can't spin!
Good luck and have fun!

Oh, and we WILL get the entry portals for all these competitions up in the near future. We've just been tied up taking a bit longer than expected with things (like the new premises move).

George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Delete Topic

Basstones
Basstones

Do you do the poiz?
Total posts: 530
Posted:Sounds good!

Might put some thought in to this one and hopefully get some sort of entry in bounce

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:100% UGC - you guys are hillarious smile ubblol hug

but you definately put bait out! wow

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Malcolm
Malcolm

HOP admin
Total posts: 997
Posted:Just been playing around with some ideas for the new online competition George is running.

Non-Https Image Link

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:ubblol Cool

Quick question... <6mb is quite diddy for a video (of any length/quality), do you have a preferred resolution?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

Malcolm
Malcolm

HOP admin
Total posts: 997
Posted:You can make it any size. But we would appreciate a compressed version of 6Mb to place on our site for viewing. We can link to larger file versions later.

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

duvan
duvan

ancient oachkatzlschwoaf
Total posts: 249
Posted:yuk yuk smile

finished the script yesterday at night! can't wait to start shooting for this competition

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:Something like:

http://www.chh.org/SiteData/images/highest_quality.jpeg

But together holding staff of Poi.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

georgemc
georgemc

Posted:Hi all,

Please accept our apologies for the huge delay in getting this up and running, but now, the competitions entry portal is up and running.

The way it works is that once the voting date is reached, voting will be automatically enabled. You can vote for every single entry you like if you want - there is no restriction on the number of votes you can cast - except you can only vote once for each entry you like.
People who are late, or join after the voting starts, will still be able to enter right up until the voting closes - they just won't have as long for their entry to be exposed to receive votes as those who enter before voting starts.

Check it out at the "Competitions" tab, or
go here.

There's already one pretty good entry, so we are waiting with anticipation for some really inventive ideas to appear! So now, over to you! ubbrollsmile

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Delete

pricklyleaf
pricklyleaf

with added berries
Total posts: 1365
Posted:I have a question, how many entries can you make? Could you for instance, make one entry into each category?

Can you make multiple entries into the same category?

Thanks!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Delete

S A P O
Total posts: 1
Posted:Its been QUITE some time since I last visited HOP... I had entered and made it onto COL 4 which brought me back to the website today. While browsing to find info on the new COL, I discovered the Why Spin photo competitions. I am very interested in entering them, however I'm perplexed by the fact that you sign all rights of the photo over to HOP?? Why do the photos need to become property of HOP.. rather than being released just for each contest's use?

I was eager to submit some of my personal favorite snaps over the past years, but am reluctant to do away with any rights management for my photos.

Delete

georgemc
georgemc

Posted:Prickly, the limit is 3 entries per competition so answer to your question is "yes!"

SAPO, the reason we put that is we want to use the photo's for ... stuff - the calendar of course, and probably some screen savers, wallpaper etc etc for free downloads. We would rather not have to beg each time we want to do that (although we would try to let the submitter know and credit them of course). Any use that would result in making money from them we would ask first.

Does that make sense?
cheers
George

grin

Delete

Rouge Dragon
Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here
Total posts: 13215
Posted:Similar question to the calendar comp;

what's the standing on non-poi/staff such as juggling and hooping etc?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

georgemc
georgemc

Posted:same answer! smile

grin

Delete

pricklyleaf
pricklyleaf

with added berries
Total posts: 1365
Posted:Ok, just found the actual entry rules, (which pop up when you click enter if anyones wondering). On it, it says that you're only allowed one entry per category per person.

Just thought I'd clear that up!

As I don't have a digital camara or any software to create animation, I guess that kind of limits which ones I can enter, so I'll have to see what I can do!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Delete

Rouge Dragon
Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here
Posted:Been having a look at the entries that are up and been wondering:

What actually are you after with the idea of "why spin?"?
To me the idea is that it's supposed to encompass reasons why people spin, and therefore why other people should take it up. The comic entries are doing this, but to me the other entries seem to be just fire photos and fire videos.

Just wondering what you're after since me and my flatmate are planning entries.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

georgemc
georgemc

Posted:You've got what we had in mind for those categories Rouge. We will no doubt have a discussion about what to do with those entries which don't really show that.

grin

Delete

Rouge Dragon
Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here
Posted:Just wondering if you are going to do the same thing with the "why spin" competition as you did with the calendar comp.

I haven't entered this one (ran out of time...bloody uni!) but in going to vote, I'm sick of wading through entires which don't fit the criteria and I don't think it's fair on the people who did the right thing that people are going to get bored (like me) and therefore miss out on seeing their effort.

Delete

georgemc
georgemc

Posted:Done.
I have deleted all the entries that didn't have captions in the spirit of the category. There were some really nice entries in there which I hope get resubmitted with a suitable caption.

We ARE considering a more regular competition for people to enter "regular" photo's.

Thanks for all the feedback. And if anyone feels "unfairly deleted" let me know and resubmit.
George

grin

Delete

Roos
Total posts: 2
Posted:I just read this, I figuered my entry got deleted because it had no text in it (just a plain photo) so i resubmitted withg another image, and text!

but reading this now... damn I could have also just edited the caption. haha

and ps. you can twirl/spin with firefans!

"I believe that the moment is near when by a procedure of active paranoiacthought, it will be possible to systematize confusion and contribute to thetotal discrediting of the world of reality." - <i>Salvador Dali</i>

Delete

ninikins

Total posts: 9
Posted:Have the winners been announced already? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Delete

Posted:Winners have been announced..... Congrates to everyone who entered

Delete

ninikins

Posted:Where are they announced? Friend of mine is no 1 in one of the categories, she hasn't heard anything so she's scared of being sure smile:)

Delete

Posted:Click Competitions and scroll to the catagory. They are listed in order of winners.

Delete

ninikins

Posted:GREAT! she won then (Monooki) I'll let her know, she hasn't heard from them, hope she will soon smile

Delete

Posted:Awesome congrates

Delete

monooki
stranger

Total posts: 18
Posted::o

Speechless!

Delete

georgemc
georgemc

Posted: Written by: ninikins

... she hasn't heard from them, hope she will soon smile

ummm yeah - I've been a tad busy sorry folks! frown I'll be updating the winners accounts with $$ and sending PM's as soon as possible - hopefully tomorrow.

George

grin

Delete