• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Total posts: 13920
Posted:So the night before last I had a horrible night on call in the NICU (Neonatal ICU, where the really sick newborns and premature babies go). One baby got really sick, another was really sick to start and then at about 2AM I 24-week preemie (that's about 5 months) preemie got born. He weighed 705g, or just a touch over a pound. So they kept me hopping around all night.

I was so tired I actually fell asleep while signing the kids out to the new team. Literally, I fell asleep mid-sentence and had to be woken up.

So I got home and went to sleep at about noon.

I woke up at 6AM this morning. Yep, that's 18 hours. I feel SO much better. I got up to pee a few times, but I never even woke up to eat (I woke up hungry, but I was too tired to want to fix/get any food).

What's the most you ever slept at a time?

What had you done to make yourself that tired?

Do you consider yourself to be sleep-deprived or well-rested in general?

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Total posts: 149
Posted:Mike, well done on another shift... I've been to a NICU once (observation days) and have the utmost respect for the incredibly caring nurses and doctors there. Thanks hug

Pssst! 22 hours on a friend's floor after a great week... those were the days smile

c'est pas nous qui sommes la rue, c'est la rue ktanou!

1st official camden town (uk) meet 21st october! see the events bit

Total posts: 48
Posted:I slept for 24 hours once after flying back from america.. (I live in the UK)...

generally i feel tired alot all though techacally i get enough sleep. :-S It confuses me

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 7193
Posted:36 hours, but that was after a massive party,, i cant imagine what being in charge of a N.I.C.U. unit must be like doc hug

sleeps a bitch... but lack of, is even worse.

Do you do the poiz?
Total posts: 530
Posted:Had 14hrs on sunday night...That was gooooood

Generally I am tired and underslept though, have a bad habit of 'just one more hour before i go to sleep wont hurt'

Or recently waking up at 6 then hitting the snooze button for 2hrs because i cant be bothered sitting in traffic on the way to work. So thats 2hrs of dodgy sleep waking up every 15 minutes.

I recall reading a really intresting article once about average Sleep debt. Was really really interesting, would love to find it again

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 5814
Posted:Welcome back Dr Lightning. Have missed you. hug hug

Im sleep deprived. Never been the best sleeper and having kids that didnt sleep well added to it. Driving is my biggest worry while tired and I am so glad you made it home safe to sleep it all off.

I often wonder at what we do to our doctors and still expect them to fiunction.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Total posts: 6650
Posted:hug great job done, Doc hug Respect.

27 hours, after a straight friday morning to sunday night 'cuddling' weekend... both were amazing, the weekend and the rest afterwards *starts dreaming*...

Usually I was sleep deprived, as I often stay up late, but am waking up by the time that sun comes up (can't sleep well during the day... watchman was the most horrid of all my jobs)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

remembers when it was all fields round here
Total posts: 2790
Posted:Doc - thank goodness for you and people like you hug

I can't remember the longest I've ever slept at a time but on the newborn theme, it was probably not far off 18 hours either, sometime after spending the best part of 4 days awake in labour, only being able to sleep when my body forced me to.

In hospital I couldn't sleep even when he did because I couldn't stop looking at him smile but when we got home a few days later and his dad could take over for a while and wake me for feeds, I seemed to fall into some kind of comatose state biggrin and felt much better for it.

I'm not generally well-rested anyway: I grew up in a pub from earliest memory to my teenage years which wasn't quiet enough to sleep in until past midnight so it's no surprise to find that it doesn't feel right to sleep until then, or that I tend towards being nocturnal.

My son has always been an early riser and a late sleeper which affects my own sleeping pattern, though often I find I function better on less sleep rather than excessive sleep as long as it's not prolonged.

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

fluffy mess
Total posts: 197
Posted:I believe the longest I ever slept was around 26 hours. If I have a lay-in , like on a Saturday morning, I can easily sleep for around 15 hours, but I tend to not go to sleep again til Sunday night, so it kind of balances out. I go for weeks where I fall asleep early on weeknights and get about 12 hours sleep a night, then I go for weeks only getting between 4 and 6 hours on week nights. I tend to be over-tired, or over-slept, but hardly ever a happy medium.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

The Tea Fairy
The Tea Fairy

old hand
Total posts: 853

28 hours, after a massive party, it was really disorientating because I fell asleep at about 2pm on a saturday and woke up at 6pm on Sunday, so I completely lost a day.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Total posts: 346
Posted:24 - when I was younger. Family hols, I fell asleep in the car on the way there. Family didn't wake me up and when I did wake up I couldn't quite comprehend I'd lost a day drooling down a window and the fact they'd left me in a car overnight.....

Quite funny now. I get on average 4/6 hours a night now ... bad insomnia started when I was 14/15 ...

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

Total posts: 1034
Posted:don't know. When I'm depressed, I sleep longer than when I ain't depressed. And when i don't sleep enough for some time, I get depressions. However, when I'm under stress for some time, I get insomnia. shrug

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

The Misguided Oracle
The Misguided Oracle

the floor is a sea of tigers...
Total posts: 404
Posted:longest was 26hrs after not sleeping for 4 nights due to assignments

"My body is a well tuned machine... It just needs a competent driver." - ?

Mr Majestik
Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you
Total posts: 4693
Posted:17 hours when i had glandular fever, got home from school at 5pm and went to bed, got up at 10am the next day to go back to school.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
Total posts: 4217
Posted:Did you know, although 8 hours is the average length of sleep and the amount we're recommended to have, they've discovered that less sleep makes you live longer!

That'll explain why I always feel more refeshed after 5-6 hours rather than 8 (I find it very hard to get out of bed after 8 hrs and will want 4 more!).

Try to aim for between 4 and 7 hours a night to be able to get a little longer in the tooth smile

Party Animals wink

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Total posts: 24
Posted:I slept for 3 days once when i had the flu does that count?

Total posts: 9232
Posted:I cheated.

I had mono in Junior High School.

I think I slept through April.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mr Majestik
Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you
Total posts: 4693

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Total posts: 394
Posted:mono = glandular fever (infective mononucleosis/ Eptsein Barr virus)... Well done Doc, that day sounds like a killer frown frown aah, sleep... Sometimes I fantasize about my bed, the crisp sheets, the warm duvet...

faith enfire
faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI
Total posts: 3556
Posted:i always feel tired, i can't remember waking up and feeling good...and i have a schedule and do everything you're supposed to
they even did test and i don't have a deficiency of anything...it all kind of sucks, my bf thinks i'm lazy

Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed