Forums > Social Chat > The MATRIX "guns, lots of guns"

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
James Bmember
44 posts

Posted:
The new matrix film is almost here, I have to say I loved that last film if this film is half as good, well rock-on!

A lot more use of weapons in this one, without the guns that is. Not a fan of guns myself I like to use weapons that require skill to use. Anyone can fire a gun. Here is me learning to use my 3-section-staff and you all ways get someone with the line
"I will just fire my gun at you!".

geeeerrrrr!

Which leads be on to a question.

What is the Matr... no no no sorry!

What are your views on guns?

Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i can already tell you the entire argument in one line..

people kill, guns dont.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
The "now i'm scared" thread in War Topics has quite an interesting gun control debate between me, dj dantana, coleman and some others.

i don't like guns, me.

or the matrix, but thats a whole other issue

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i agree that *sometimes* the matrix sucks.

like if i was in the matrix right now...
*shiftily looks from side to side*
...i would think i was sitting at work, getting bored and slaving myself for 'the man' when in reality, i'd be in a nice warm bath that stays warm forever and that i never have to get out of.

who would want the matrix if reality really was that good!?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

James Bmember
44 posts

Posted:
But The Matrix film would not be the same without the guns. The lobby scene without the guns!

Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far!

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Thing is, people with guns find it easier to kill than people without guns.

The Matrix is still cool.

Magnus... pay it forward

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
still, you have to admit, a gun makes your 80 year old grandmother equall to the street thug about to thy and mug her....

can't argue with that now can you?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Guns require skill to use. There is a massive diffrence between shooting an unarmed person at point blank range and exchanging fire with an armed person at medium or long range.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
* runs around room screaming *

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

I've just been to see X-men 2, but not only that - I discovered that they were selling tickets for the advance preview of Matrix Reloaded, so I've got one

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I just wanna see the fight involving Neo, Agent Smith x 50, and Neo's big whoopin' stick.

Has anyone else played Dynasty Warriors around here? Y'all know what I'm talkin' about

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I am proud to say that I have not seen ANYTHING on the Matrix 2. And I intend to keep it that way until I see it in the theatres.

Kinudin

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Good plan Kinudin. That's what I did for the original film. So I enjoyed it a whole lot more than many of my friends - I reckon - Plus I saw it on the biggest movie theater screen I could find (which helped a bit too)...

Meh

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Hrm... anyone can shoot a gun ehh??

Well... 500 yds is pretty far to shoot open sight, I know that people can be tought to shoot at long distances but you cant just pick up a gun like people do in the movies.

Propper sight picture and propper sight alignment are things you must obtain to shoot properly. Pending on the type of weapon you are shooting, you need a good stock weld when shooting a rifle.

When you shoot a pistol if you hold the weapon too tight it can effect your shot, if you dont have enough finger on the trigger you will pull the shot away from the target.

My word there is soooo many factors when you shoot.

I do question wether or not you have ever shot a gun

Well... just incase you didnt know, JGG and I are both Armourers for the USMC.

Guns are only dangerus when sombody stops respecting them. A gun just doesnt go off by itself, something has to either jar the weapon enough to push the fireing pin into the primer or heat the weapon up enough to cook the round.

A gun is only as dangerus as the hand that its in.

Simian needs to just go away, the Matrix was a good movie (thats a joke and nothing more, so please dont hate me )

Magnus, people killed quite efficently before guns were invented!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
yeah I'd have to agree, It can take skill to use a gun... Ever see that crazy texan trick shot guy?? He can fire a REVOLVER faster than any semi-auto AND hit stuff with amazing accuracy. (600 yrds hits a playing card with a 44 magnum... that takes skill baby)

not to mention my personal favourite, the longest recorded kill in Afghanistan by a Canadian sniper team... 2.4 Km!! Of course they couldn't have done it without using US munitions and gear... Take that you terrorist bastard!

course if you have some crazy gangsta in the hood guy with his saturday night special in a drive by... That takes no skill, at all.

But I'm sure in the matrix they can get away with stuff because of the way they upload everything into their heads from the training simulations. Not to mention that it's a computer generated world where the laws of physics can be bent or even broken

and who cares... It's a movie after all, eh?

2,905 posts

Posted:
Hrm.. I would like to know what type of weapon that Canadian used. I mean our sniper rifle doesnt have that type of range, but the M82A1 does, but that is a 50 cal rifle and you cant use that against people, its against the Geniva Convention. It also isnt the type a weapon a sniper would use. Too long (bout 5 feet long with a 6 foot recoil spring) the sucker is huge.

It has such a smoth action that it can be fired standing up!! Let see you take any other 50 cal rifle and shoot it standing up!!

Crazy!!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
You can't use a .50 against human targets, which is obviously why all the snipers trained on that only used "human sized" targets.

And guns don't kill guns,
people kill guns!

Just being a smartass - I'm not much of a gun person myself, though one of my best friends is one of the better american snipers

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
did i just see two black cats walking past or has this topic come up several times bf?!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Did anyone see that film that came out recently...this could become confusing as I can't remember th name...but from the trailers it looked like they'd tried to apply Martial Art styles and movements to gun fights.
Looked very odd, and ultimately pointless.

Anyhoo, us Brits (well, me anyway) must have a slightly different view of guns than the Americans as we don't have the same "real-life" fear that there is over there. Sure there are some around on the street, a lot more than most people imagine, but they still are generally hated by most people here.
I think the difference between carrying say a staff, knife or even stun-gun/tazer is that you don't really carry one with the intention of killing someone.
Gun's - as they are percived - aren't really a self-defence weapon, they're more of a "kill or be killed" weapon

IMHO of course

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I think the weapon they used was exactly what you said it was... a US 50. caliber rifle (not sure the exact make or model).

I dunno much about the geneva convention about using too large a round with a person... I know in the vietnam war the used 50. caliber machine guns to take out the Vietkong. but maybe it's different now. I do have a buddy in the army and from what he tells me, a 50. rifle can be used for sniping and it can be mounted on a bipod for shooting in the prone position (laying down). I've seen how big the gun is, and yeah NOOOooo way I'm standing up and shooting that sucker.

another thing about gun laws here in Canada. they're fairly strict. I'm going for my FAC (fire arms aquasition certificate) so I can legally purchase and own a gun. to get a rifle there's a backlog of red tape a mile long... If you wanna get a pistol good luck waiting for a year or more because of burecracy. I'm not one for gun control(mostly gun registry) though... Simply because of these facts :

1.) it costs us a huge amount of money to maintain a registry data base.
2.) Criminals don't register guns anyway.
3.) You already need a background check to own a gun, registery doesn't change this
4.) name one criminal who's been put behind bars because of gun registration.
5.) people who have registered guns can still have a mental break down an go on a rampage.
6.) the money we use for gun registery could be better used in healthcare, trasportation, etc.

a good documentary to watch about gun related issues is the recent "Bowling for Colombine"... I highly recommend it to everyone, gets you thinking. Although Michael Moore does strech it a bit far when he gives the impression "Canadians don't lock their doors"

[ 04. May 2003, 11:18: Message edited by: Canadian_guy ]

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
I don't really like guns per se. I much prefer to train and work my ass of to fight wiht my hands and simple weapons such as sticks and knives. I prefer tthe skill and control of hand to hand combat.

Seeing as I'm legally blind (20/200, complete colr blindness, and high sensitivity to light), I'm not much of a good shot. However, most self defense situations have you shooting a human sized target no more than ten feet away. I put 7 slugs into a box of ritz crackers at 20 feet with my dad's Walther PP, I can deffintly hit and kill if I need to.

My aversion to fire arms aside, I really want that Walther, it's just so damn smooth, compact, quiet, fast, light, and easy to clean/maintain. Great uncle brought it back from World War II, still works perfectly.

But yeah, my arsenal is filled with blunt and bladed weapons.

No one knows me like I do.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Well... I dont know the dates but maybe the Geneva Convention was post Vietnam??

Anyhoo Durbs, I agree with you guns are not your typical self defence weapon. Personally If someone is comming at me with a sword I would be pretty dang skerd hehe

I would say that 80% of gun owners dont know how to properly dissassemble and reassemble their weapon. That is quite sad. How do you have respect for something or say you do, when you cant even clean the damn thing worth a flip?!?!

I will never own a weapon that I cant do a complete dissassemble, reassemble and order parts. It just isnt worth it to me.

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
The Geneva convention was set up I think before WW1, or it was either set up before WW2... I'm not particular in the dates. and they may have changed/added things over the years anyway

But yeah I'd have to agree with you there Raymund, WAAAaay too many people don't understand the mechanics behind guns. I think more people should be educated on the matter. I know I can disassemble any weapons I have at home to clean...

I had a buddy with an modified chinese assult rifle (dumbed down to legal standards of course) F***ing thing can't shoot straight to save your life, but it only has 5 or 6 pieces!! They made it so a monkey could field strip it and put it back together! you think if it was that easy more people would know how to maintain a gun... but guns are a touchy subject, and taboo with people.

Whatever the weapon, aren't we all forgetting something??? A quote from Rambo himself

"I like to think of the mind as the best weapon"

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
well i cant wait to see myself on the big screan

im in the hell night club scean (an expation on the bondig night club scean in the forst one)

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

2,905 posts

Posted:
ummm... was this the right forum Brainstorma??

Ohh and I aint talking just field strip, I mean the M16 has only 7 parts to take care of when field stripping. I mean I want to be able to gauge and maintain my weapon.

chilipeppermember
85 posts

Posted:
Cant wait for the matrix to come out, not sure about 2 & 3 coming out in the same year, could work, what do u all think?

Chili pepper

High Class Hippy #5'One day i WILL own a VW Campervan''i'll sell a liver, u can live with just one, cant u?'Jebus...Jebus

Nimskamember
48 posts

Posted:
Jesus Christ, I came into this forum cuz I like the quote from the matrix and ended up learning far more about guns than i have ever wanted to!

I hate the Damn things! btw Durbs, the film you can't remember the name of? "Equilibrium"
Not a bad film but seen the plot before ala 'Farenheit 142' (never get the number right!)
oh, and it needed more fight scenes.

That's what I think anyway.

Don't be a Cookie Cutter Kid

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Farenheit 451: the temperature at which paper catches fire and burns... yeah it's a good book alright.

You guys realize that the matrix code is just Japanese characters turned upside down, or flipped sideways right?

and another fact, the CPU of you computer can't actually Subtract, Divide, Multiply, do exponents or anything else with real numbers... All it can do is Add binary numbers. That's right( 01 + 10 = 11) or otherwise known as 1 + 2 = 3

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
ok im tired so ill briefly some up my view.......
matrix = hell yeah
guns = hell no

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

Nimskamember
48 posts

Posted:
Canadian guy you have soooo confused me with the relevancy of my CPU's mathematical ability!

eh?

Don't be a Cookie Cutter Kid

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The Geneva Convention was ratified in September 1900.

Which was a tad before the Vietnam war . Not sure it actually says anything about the calibre of weapons htat can be used against soft targets though.

I'm not reading through all of it to find out either (before anyone asks).

Meh

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
yeah computers are pretty confusing... How many transistors are on a Pentium 4 circut? I think the number is something like 62 Million transistiors!!! All on something about the size of your thumb... We've come a LONG way since vaccum tubes.

Of course I don't think we have anything fast enough or with enough memory that can generate a simulation like the matrix... Yet.

You think computers are complex now?? Just wait until quantum computers (not bull s***ing you here). A normal computer uses trasistors as switches to do calculations, and store data... It can be read by a simple 1 (switch in the on position) or 0 (the switch is off). Now imagine the switch being able to be on and off at the same time by using the quantum state of an atom... now you enter the F***ed up world of quantum computing.

Too bad protoypes can only do calculations up to 3 x 3, needs massive amounts of sheilding, and not to mention they are unstable.

Give it 10 years, and maybe you too can have your own matrix simulation!

My guesses as to who will develop the technology first... probably some big time Spy agency like the CIA or more likely the NSA (national security agency)... Just because it would be invaluable to them. A quantum computer could take a day at cracking an encryption, compared to a normal computer would take several thousand years to do. Not bad eh?

Page: