ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
Ive seen the move where people look like they are "spraying" fire from there poi while they spin.

I'm assuming this is just done by not spinning off your poi first. If im wrong point me in the right direction. Or are there a few different techniques for this?

"Runs with Scissors"

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Good evening ubersmack. What I believe you are referring to is using wire wool instead of conventional wicks.... Like this?
Sparkley Poi

There are loads and loads and loads of threads floating about using wire wool... like this:
[Old link]
...and this:
[Old link]
...and again:
[Old link]
...and again:
[Old link]

What I'm trying to say is you should dig about on this website. Its been going for yonks, and there is sooo much information on here already, you're less than a few clicks away from finding it. smile
[plus you save me the job of doing all those linkys]

But yeah! Check out that [Old link] function... Its ace. biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

Other than that... GOOD LUCK! Make sure you read all the safety things too, rather useful.

hug

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
Good lord woman, just b/c you took all that time to write that huge post and find all those threads i looked at every single one. Tons of information, i found just what i was looking for, thanks.

On the other hand, I hate search functions. Making new threads gives new people chances to reply and speak there minds!! Not to mention it keeps the boards interesting with new things to read!! If you only have one thread for each topic then your going to run out of stuff to talk about and the board becomes a bore!! biggrin I'm not being critical you should just not jump down peoples throats when they ask for help. smile You were once the new person here to.

"Runs with Scissors"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol don't take it personal - we're all knocking over that same ol' post... errm... never mind

Written by: US

Not to mention it keeps the boards interesting with new things to read!!

Eggsactly that might be what the mod's and long timers would like to, therefore advising "searches" for stuff that has been discussed, debated, torn apart and put back together on a molecular level for a thousand times already...

Asena, you rock! peace can I hire you as my personal HoP search engine? bounce Pleeeeeeeeeease!

No desire left unfullfilled, except maybe filtering and putting it together in a handy lil' PM... biggrin wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ubersmack

Good lord woman.....

eek

*feels crotch*

Yup! Still a man!

...and yes Tom, you can biggrin hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
mmmmm, yummy yummy smile what a devine article, even if i do say so myself biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I'm going to have to disagree with you!

Making new threads gives new people chances to reply and speak there minds!! Not to mention it keeps the boards interesting with new things to read!!

But its not a new thing to read. Its an old thing. A question that has been answered many many times before.

Also there are many other ways for newbies to bond with the existing community besides making duplicate threads. Theres the introductions section, social chat and discussion and all the technical forums undearneath those where old and new members alike can talk about pretty much whatever the fancy!

Written by: unbersmack

If you only have one thread for each topic then your going to run out of stuff to talk about and the board becomes a bore!! biggrin

In my opinion, one thread for each topic seems fine.
And I fail to see why mutiple threads for one topic would mean there would be more to talk about.

Also multiple threads make information much much harder to find.

And why on earth would you write out a whole new post, and wait for people to reply, when you could easily just search and have the information at your fingertips straight away!

And believe me - the diversity and bredth of this community means there will always be something to talk about.

I'm not being critical you should just not jump down peoples throats when they ask for help. smile You were once the new person here to.

Uber, the older members of the board don't go out intentially to jump down the throats of newer additions to the community, but hopefully you can imagine the frustration some people feel after having been asked the same questions over, and over, and over again.

In short, we like to keep the board tidy, where previously asked information can be found easily.
Also lots and lots of the same thing just takes up unecessary bandwidth - which has to be paid for by Malcolm, the site creator.

I hope you understand this hug

A x

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

but hopefully you can imagine the frustration some people feel after having been asked the same questions over, and over, and over again.

yes i am actually a moderator on a board and know what you are talking about. But.. if it annoys me.. i just dont answer the question! smile

"Runs with Scissors"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hug here, no questions remains unanswered wink

*humms that ol song: "don't ask me (...) I might not give an answer that you want me to..."*

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Spanner

I'm not being critical you should just not jump down peoples throats when they ask for help. smile

He didn't jump down your throat at all ( biggrin ) - he was actually very polite and helpful, wishing you luck and showing concern for your safety confused

Werd.

Whilst Matt does *like* to jump down people's throats in... erm... other ways. he's one of the nicest chaps you could possibly meet. biggrin

I'm also a moderator of another board, but you should know that all forums work differently. This one is no exception. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
Ok ok, lets start over.

Hi all i'm Dan, 26 y.o. firefighter/warehouse worker from Madison, WI U.S.

The first post actually answered my question very well, was just presented in a sarcastic manner of sorts. But moving right along, thank you for all the reply's, and lets be friends. biggrin

"Runs with Scissors"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
welcome to HoP hug (*whispers: "we got an intro-section" wink )

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Henaree (the wee sex pot)

Whilst Matt does *like* to jump down people's throats in... erm... other ways. he's one of the nicest chaps you could possibly meet. biggrin

Woooo ye baby! bounce

I didn't mean to cause offence?! ubblol

It was purely a random post meant in a light hearted manner, answering your question smile . This board is full of nice people, so I doubt you'll ever come across a sarcastic message which is meant to offend. smile

And, welcome to HoP!! hug

Have you had any luck with ze sparkwy poi? smile

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Asena

so I doubt you'll ever come across a sarcastic message which is meant to offend.

....Have you met Cantus? ubbangel

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
thank you smile

Written by:

Have you had any luck with ze sparkwy poi?

nah i have to build some now, im not going to rush into it and not do it right and get a wad of flaming steel wool in my face.

Not to mention its still cold here in Wisconsin, supposed to be in the 50-60's this time of year and its freakin 20-30, not really outdoor weather unless your a polar bear.

So I have read through all of the forums I can find, and am now wondering what diameter and length of wire tube is kind of "the norm". People had suggested several things, and just want to know if anyone has had luck with one thing more than the other.

"Runs with Scissors"

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fat_Rancid_Dyke

so I doubt you'll ever come across a sarcastic message which is meant to offend.

....Have you met Cantus? ubbangel

I believe so. He's the chap who tried to have me thrown off a cliff into a fire... some form of sacrificial burning. Awfully good fun. Until some guy came and started throwing parafin on me... that got silly.

biggrin

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
Success!

I went out and bought neccesary items and put together a small 2-3 diameter ball to test it out, worked like a charm. Now I just have to put together some larger ones.

Once again thanks for the help. smile

"Runs with Scissors"

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Whilst Matt does *like* to jump down people's throats in... erm... other ways

ubblol ubblol

Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

....Have you met Cantus?

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Whether it's been done to death or not, this thread was worth it for that!

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
Update on my quest for teh sparkwy poiz..

I built a set of 12 in. long, 4 in. diameter tubed baskets, tried them out last night and shazzam, works great. I tested one first and of course a wad of metal lands on my head synging my hair, brilliant!!

So this weekend hopefully I will make a video (this time wearing a hat) and get it uploaded for all to laugh at smile thanks again Asena for the help

"Runs with Scissors"

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
No worries smile

Glad your having fun... and a hat is definately recommended.

Stay safe hug

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
And an update again biggrin

Got some pics finnally after I redid my design, check em in my gallery smile

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

"Runs with Scissors"