Page:
AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
...and no, I am not referring to cigarette's.

For those of you lucky to have BBC2, I hope you managed to catch some part of "The most hated family in America" documentary, shown at 9pm this evening (1st April).

If you didn't catch it, you can get a brief summary for this website:
The Guardian: News Article

I managed to catch most of the program, and in all honesty, I thought it was rather funny. Extreme views such as these which basically call every one gay, or gay "enablers" (meaning that they help the gays) almost tickle me, and this group of religious extremists were no exception... plus the fact they hate America and George Bush can't be all that bad (just kidding wink )...

What kind of disturbed me was the way they turned up to the funerals of dead soldiers, men & women who died fighting in Iraq, and called them "fags" and told that is God's will. According to the "Westboro Baptist Church" in Kansas, led by Pastor Fred Phelps (also known as "gramps"), America has upset God, and the terrorist America is at war with is... God. They thank God for 9/11, and they thank god for people dying of cancer, hit & runs etc. They praise his work, and his 'divine judgement'.

You can find a few of the pastors "sermons" from this link, however I warn you the website www.godhatesfags.com is rather... offensive. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Sermons

I suppose, the point to this thread is to ask, should there be some control of this extreme religion? I spose taking away the freedom of speech is wrong, and who would "exercise" this control is another issue... so maybe thats not the best idea. But to allow a group to besiege a funeral, to taunt and torment the berieving family... is rather sick. Shouldn't that kind of behavior be banned?

...my other question is would is be wrong to make use of the "contact us" utility on their website, and besiege them with nasty e-mails? ubblol

...for those in the UK that missed it, and would like to watch an hour documentary into the weird and wonderful, it is repeated on Wednesday evening at 11:20pm.

hug

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
Speaking of being worried for the children, this all reminds me of a documentary I watched on youtube. It's titled 'Jesus Camp' if you feel like searching for any more clips...

I have to say i find this kind of extremist religion very unnerving.

-

-

-

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
This is like training Christian mujahadeen. They even say so themselves. Rehearsing for holy war and territorial invasion in the bowling alley. Terrifying. Within a minute we move from *god loves you* from the nice motherly lady with the George Bush cutout (is that a blessing of Jesus or a Fascist salute those kids are giving?) to the pointed finger *you are a sinner and need to repent* Good cop bad cop.

And according to the 9 yr old trainee evangelist, (I'm gonna hit 'em while I'm painting their nails...) God is not in fact omnipresent... he only attends churches with adrenalised mass hysteria. Kinda wipes out the last 2000 years of pre-amplified prayer. St Theresa of Avila and Hildegard de Bingen must be very disappointed.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
I was having such a nice day...until i heard that cigarettes eat poop...I don't understand.But the lady said its a fact~ maybe thats why smoking kills?

Jokes aside, these people scare me.The worst part is that they are targeting kids.

Spinning makes my world go round

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I wonder if, or when, that nine year old is going to learn the lesson that a GOOD evangelical knows when to shut up. If she's planning on hitting up what amounts to a captive audience with "the word" she'll find out quickly that she's lacking in either repeat business or preaching to the converted.

I too found that comment about "dead churches" curious, in a God is on OUR side kind of way...God likes noise ? Speaking of Christian tourism and mega churches..have you ever been to Lourdes, France ? The Big church there has loudspeakers that broadcast "sssssssshhhhh" ( as in be quiet ) every five minutes both inside and outside the church. Somebody had better let them in on the secret. wink

I wonder what the room rates are in Colorado Springs this weekend ?

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
oh my, that last lady... How generous of her to offer other people's children to god...

And were those children having epileptic fits? After all this brainwashing these children are going to have serious mental problems in the future... if the crazy lady doesn't sacrifice them to christianity first

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Alfred

Jokes aside, these people scare me.The worst part is that they are targeting kids.

Like the Jedi! Younger you get them, the less likely they are to question whatever you tell them - unfortunately that isn't in a joking sense.

Religion plays a massive part in the formation of someone's morals and ethics, which leads on to how they act within the world. "Villians never believe that they're evil" - these people believe that they're doings good in the world through their actions, and want their children to do the same 'good'. Thus they impart the same messages and morals that they hold, and so on and so forth. I'm not saying that children are all blank slates - far from it - but it is easier to mold their thinking if you teach them from an early age.

On a slightly relevant sidenote, I read somewhere an interesting point - that Bible condemns homosexuality (not dis/agreeing, merely stating a fact). However, the Bible also allows and promotes such practises such as murder and slavery, activities widely outlawed in todays world. I'm not saying 'Bible says both A and B, if B is wrong then A must also be wrong', but just pointing out the fact that it's something like 1,940 years old. A lot changes in that time, including morals.

End point: in my view, extremists are dangerous in they're trying to apply yesterdays rules to todays world (figuratively speaking) and are able to fool themselves into thinking they're spreading 'Gods Will', and hence doing a good thing regardless of the actions they take.

Kupo!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Except Jedi are way cooler biggrin But on the other hand, a late-trained Jedi ends up screwing half the galaxy. No turned-evangelist I know of built one and a half Death Stars ubblol

Humour aside, it's a worry that they are targeting kids who have yet to form their own beliefs & opinions.

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Haha, true. I'd be more worried about the fully-trained evangelist who was able to manipulate an enitre galaxy - which is arguably much harder than building a few superweapons.

Kupo!

Page: