Woo!HCH No 2
216 posts

Posted:
Having copied most of the HotMail addresses into my MSN messenger (from Mess thread) and logging on, I started having some dificulty. Norton went mad for a start and my PC crashed. I loaded it up again to find my Messenger settings altered, the name of my freinds list chnaged and people moved around lists...

Anyone else had this problem?

There were only 5 people shown as logged in at the time.....

Could it be I am dreaming it? If any of the 5 know anything, PM me.

Jim.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Can you explain all that again for the hard of thinking?

Meh

Woo!HCH No 2
216 posts

Posted:
I'll try!!

I think that someone who was online last night and using messenger managed to hack into my Messenger program, and alter the settings.

Only people who had put their account details on the "Anyone use MSN messenger?" thread were online at the time.

I don't know how easy it is to do that, but I do know that Messenger isn't the most secure program.

Any easier to digest? I have had a couple more hours sleep now so sense more making hope I am.

Jim

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
thats really wierd..

ive had some twat add me to his list...i have no idea who he is...he says he lives in pakisatn..

the wierd thing is that he quoted one of the poeple on my messenger list...by her email address.....but when i asked he r if she knew who he was...she had no idea whaatsoever..

and then he said he got my email address from msn communties....whichim not on...and niether is she...

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
MSN is not safe.

Go to Tools/Options/Privacy and make sure 'All Other Users' are blocked.

Make sure you keep it updated with the latest version from Microsoft.

Magnus... pay it forward

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is it the same Pakistani that sent me that PM Jon? And if it is did you perchance add him to your list yourself to find out who he was?

Meh

Woo!HCH No 2
216 posts

Posted:
I found out today whatwas going on.. After I had some more problems with files (my current essay piece kept vanishing without trace!) I got Norton personal firewall, which logged 17 attempts from someone to hack me (terminology?) via the Backdoor/SubSeven Trojan Horse (apparently).

I have their IP address and know they are from Modena, Italy (or close by using VisualWare). Is there anything I can do? Or just block that IP address?

Jim*

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
The Norton firewall should protect you from such intrusions. If you are worried, contact the Symantec (authors of Norton) help desk who should be able to give you advice.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Norton is a good choice. It takes a lot of time to get through...

POI THEO(R)IST