IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
There is a little town called Esperance (about 14000 people) in Western Australia that has been having some problems lately. Its just nuts…

Thousands of birds have died… just dropped out of the sky. Apparently there is no dawn chorus in Esperance. This began in December. confused

After quite a loooong time, the ‘authorities’ have now determined that the cause of the deaths is lead. And the port authorities have now admitted that they were aware of lead dust drifting away from the port during loading and unloading.

So now they are testing the School’s water supply. They recommend washing your hands if you play outside.

And the authorities are still saying there is no cause for alarm. They are testing (and we wont know how much lead people have actually absorbed until all the testing is complete). They will tell the people of Esperance when it is time to panic.

Just nuts…

frown

https://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200703/s1872244.htm
https://www.health.wa.gov.au/envirohealth...ths_March07.pdf
https://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21367983-29277,00.html

... simplify ...

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Wow if it has been going on for four months+ then you can only wonder why it wasnt discovered earlier.

Surely after a few tests on the first deaths would have found the increased amounts of lead. Hope the residents have no bad side affects. Thoughts go out to them

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Was that in China, or is this happening in the "free, civilized, western world"?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Sometimes i wonder if a country that produces vegemite can be civilised, but i spose most would say it was, yeah.

Its at the very bottom of WA. In an amazingly beautiful area of Australia. Hmmm... I don't know how to make pictures apear here... but type esperance into google image. It is well worth it.

xo

... simplify ...

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Personally I'd skip town if I was living there. eek

Lead poisoning isn't my cup of tea.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
has someone been feedig them bicarbonate of soda on bread ???

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

has someone been feedig them bicarbonate of soda on bread ???

ubblol

The majority of dead birds are (were) nectar feeders so that rules out the laced bread option. I haven't seen any reports or news articles where the port authority admits that they are the source of the lead or that lead dust has been observed drifting from shipments during handling but parsimony kinda points the finger...

Coming from NZ to WA I've been impressed by the lack of introduced bird species. The native birds here are awesome and I notice a lot of people take 'em for granted, especially the common species like wagtails, honeyeaters (lotsa different species), wattle birds and 28's. WA would be LOT poorer if these birds were wiped out (by lead, cats, foxes, land clearing for development/mining/agriculture etc) or out-competed by thrushes, sparrows, blackbirds etc.

Lead is a cumilative poison so the people of Esperance should be very concerned but won't someone think of the poor birds? Does everything have to revolve around the 'clever' monkeys? wink

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Willy wag tails are awesome birds.

The town is really worried about the effects on children especially.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu