Forums > Social Chat > What makes Australia such a good place?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
James Bmember
44 posts

Posted:
A good friend of mine just got back from Oz, and she told how great it. It is not just her, everyone who comes back from there wants to go back.

I myself will be popping over there meself in about 6 months, can't wait. If it is half what what they say it is, I will start setting up moving there in about 4 years. England is good but it is lacking something.

What do you lot think? Has any of you been to oz or even better moved out there to live?

Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
hmmm i could say what i thought, but i'm somewhat biased, being an Australian....

its great here.
the ppl are genuine, the scenery is diverse and amazing, the places to live are interesting and multicultural and wonderful.

Of course, it has its downsides, but they are few and far between.

Mostly i think its just that australians are lucky enough to have a fabulous country to live on, and we appreciate it. That and we have a damn good sense of humour too!

*tucks somewhat inflated ego under her arm and strolls off proudly...*

Currently on the right side up of the world.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
hehehe . Dont they play good rugby there ? .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

flowingchaliceBRONZE Member
180 posts

Posted:
YAY! Move to ozzy land... *chants* do it! do it! do it!

I've been over a couple of times and I still want more. Basically > everything Pele said. Edit - oops, meant Flynt (i am the doofus). The people are fantastic, the weather's bloomin' boodiful and there just seems to be a quality of life that we don't have over here.

Saying that, I did miss that edge of gritty Brit sarcasm and outlook of general misery The aussies are sooo nice it's untrue. Something I could grow used to though, I'm sure. Even their homegrown hip-hop dresses in clean underwear and remembers to shave at least twice a week...

*wonders when the point is going to catch up...*

[ 07. May 2003, 23:15: Message edited by: flowingchalice ]

Who looks outside dreams; who looks inside wakes C G Jung

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i agree with you there...

(but which one do i agree with...)

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Also being an Aussie and therfore biased, i would say that it is just that the whole country is so laid back, and takes things pretty easy.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

James Bmember
44 posts

Posted:
That is what everyone says, very chilled out. So many of the ppl in the uk are so stressed out or have an ego that means the world to them they forget every one else and thier feelings

Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far!

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Sounds like the place to be...

I was lucky enough to be in a pub with an Aussie bartender one time here in Vancouver. Fixed me a special shot on the house... Called it a "quick F*ck" said it was a drink from australia.

Know anymore about that? It was a damn good drink!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Oz is OK, but I don't think it's some kind of amazing pancrea to the UK. For one it's full of Brits and Ozzies! Maybe if there were a few more kiwis there it'd be better.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
okay here it is ( to have a Quick !@#$) take half buttersctoch snapps and half baily's (it's in a shot glass).

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
all I can say is don't come to canada if you don't like snow... It snowed 20cm in Calgary the other day! (and this is what... May?!)

winter here lasts forever in this country... Of course we all don't live in igloos.

Also a friend of mine visited England awhile back, he says the commercials on Television aren't so "in your face", repetative, and annoying... (course I can account the US for some of our television brodcasting as well)

one good point about england. He also says they make a Mean guiness. You think it's like that in australia too?

MarekBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Australia is just great man. I just enjoy it there, I think they have it right for the most part there. Its just fun living I guess. :-D

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
what do you guys have to say about typical Australian sterotypes? Like Steve Irwing (Crocodile hunter), Crocodile dundee, and how everything is all outback country... Cause I know a lot of areas are pretty urban, and not everyone is some crazy bush man. (Ask me about the Canadian bush man sometime and I'll tell you)

teach me some australian lingo too. I'd like to learn if I ever go there.

TurqoiseDreamermember
36 posts

Posted:
Being an aussie who has worked on farms in different places in Australia, I can tell you the typical stereotype of an australian is correct....in some people. It really depends on where you are. Steve Irwin is just being himself, there is no BS there. Crocodile Dundee is obviously an eggageration (cant spell that) but its meant to be funny so who cares if it is a correct representation. My sister in law is getting married soon. Her fiance is not wearing shoes on the day and they are having the reception at the rifle range which is amongst the sugar cane. I guess they are what you would call your typical aussie that is represented in movies and such. I actually saw Terri Irwin in Target a few weeks ago wearing her trackie dackies. That doesnt mean everyone is like that though! Its usually the farmers and such whose farms have been passed down generation to generation who may be like this, or just live out in the middle of nowhere!

Myste - Queen of the Badgersmushroom! mushroom!
809 posts

Posted:
I agree that OZ is great! Also a little biased being an aussie myself but i grew up in switzerland so i have a slightelly different persective. you're so much more free to do whatever you want over here!

QF's are good but personally i prefer the "squashed frog". Any takers?

Steoeotypes are great but we don't have houses riddled with poisenous snakes and spiders. Now drop bears is another matter.... Still trying to get my aunt and uncle over to OZ for a visit but they're too scared of the insects and reptiles.

Any sydney siders here?

Myste

I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it – As you like it

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
One word, Rozi!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Myste - Queen of the Badgersmushroom! mushroom!
809 posts

Posted:
thanks for the heads up Raymund. I just posted to Rozi to say hi Couldn't find your intro page to say hi and thanks on but maybe you'll find it here. Think the OZ topic has worn a little thin though so maybe you won't. No matter.

I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it – As you like it

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
Just so you know Puk you got a quick **** wrong...lol...half butterscotch and half baileys is a cocksucking cowboy!!! a quick **** is Vodka and something else...dont remember though

Why is australia good? I've been all over the world and i must say...even though i am aussie...we have the best nation. It is because there is everything you need within at most 7 hours! You have beach...city...desert...forrest...friendly people...kick arse clubs...beautiful gardens...great beer...great EVERYTHING!!!

Oh yeah and a drink i have coined...its another shot...

KERMIT THE FROG ~ half Vodka half Midori...try it...it hurts and it tastes BEAUTIFUL!!!

You will love it!!!

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
hhhhmmmm Australia seems to have good liquor. Aussie beer is pretty good (I think it's Foresters right?) what percentage is it anyway 5% 6%... Personally I like beer that 5%+++, sorry USA I think your beer sucks... no offense, but that's my opinion.

I'd like to drink with one of you guys that's for sure.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Actually, we export Fosters, because its so bad, no Australian would drink it.

Trust me. We have much better beer than that.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Martissamember
6 posts

Posted:
I reallyd don't know why it is soo great. I have never been there and no one I know ever really talks about it so to me it isn't great at all. Just another country that I would like to visit so that I can see kangaroos!

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
My self is a Aussie and i love this place...I know that i can't compare it to the other great and wounderful places in the world cause i have never been overseas, therefore me saying that Australia is the best place in the world might not mean anything to you guys. I live in a place called Carins which isn't very big city but big enough to not know where you are in some places. The Clubs are great, people are great everything is great

I was talking to my friend the other day, about, Asking HOP to come to Australia or Carins(HOPE) and have one big festiveal...But is just a dream

Basically im Asking HOP to come to Australia for one chance to meet most of you guys!!!

Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Old Dorothea sums it up rather well for me....

My Country
By Dorothea Mackellar.

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies -
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
The orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die -
But then the grey clouds gather
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirst paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze……..

An opal-hearted country,
A willful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
ozland is beaut mate
bloody oath it is
you'll be twirling bonza fire flat out like lizard drinking
go the doggies!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Flynt:
Actually, we export Fosters, because its so bad, no Australian would drink it.

Trust me. We have much better beer than that.

Correction:

Actually, Australian's do drink this stuff, and I don' know why. I work in the call centre of a brewery, so I get some idea of the volumes that pass through. All NSW pubs get through a hell of a lot of Victoria Bitter (which tastes like bile), country pubs get through a reasonable amount of Fosters (which also tastes like bile) but not as much as VB. Carlton Draught is making a come back in the city suburban, and inner city pubs. Melbourne bitter has always been strong in country regional pubs in NSW. Fosters sells well at sporting venues, partly because they sponser a lot of events, and partly because you can get it in cans (blech).

Some good Australian beers are Cascade (Tasmanian), Coopers (South Australian), James Boags, and James Squire.

Now about wine...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Rozi, methinks we should get together for a beer sometime!

Anything from the Malt Shovel Brewery goes down a treat.

Have been treating ourselves to the Hahn Special Vintage 2000 that comes in a champagne style bottle lately, it's fabulously cheap at the moment & readily available.

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
No, not doing a plug, but did you try the Cascade Summer Blonde over the summer months? That was really special. They have followed it up with a Cascade Autumn Amber Ale, which isn't as good but is still very drinkable.

You are on for a beer!!! Do you know how long it took Flynt to make the connection between me working in a brewery, and me always having beer in the house?

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Will make an effort to try the autumn gear, loved the summer stuff. Particularly enjoyed JSq wheat beer that was out a few years ago with citrus & coriander.

Want to leave work now & go to the pub! Milk just isn't doing it for me after reading this thread.

What to say about poor Flynt?!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
any jobs going at your work Roz? My husband would like a wife who works for a brewery second only to a wife who owns one!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ah well, she knows now, and no longer thinks I am an alcoholic. Although because we are taking over the spirits section and we had training, I was walking home yesterday with a handbag full of miniature scotch & miniature bourbon I stopped at the supermarket on the way home. could you imagine the reaction if any of the assistants had decided to inspect my bag

Anyhow - back to the topic

Another good thing about Australia is the food. We have excellent food here from all over the world.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately they will be shutting down the brewery in the next two years, and they are going through redundancies now. Most of the people in the call centre have been here forever though, and just want to take the money and go.

Page: