MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yup. It went through on the Amber Bill.

I've made my decision: I am going to finish my training and then go to a different country. The United States is not safe for freedom-loving people.

So much for my research career.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
The thing that has come to my mind lately is would our forefathers be happy to see what is happening to this country.How would they feel to know all these rights that they fought so we could have are being taken away from us by our own government.

Land of the Free ... what a joke.

I totally feel where you are coming from Lightning.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly are the implications of it?

So much fire, so little body hair...

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Zoltar, you can find information on the RAVE Act here

Currently on the right side up of the world.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Cheers

So much fire, so little body hair...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
GRRRR!!!!!! F*CK that!!!!!!!!

This makes me sick.
And it was a democrat that introduced this bill to congress, too.

I know mr. Phule likes to get down on me for my veiws on the "drug war", but let me ask you if throwing otherwise good people in jail, and making kids criminaly liable for carrying glowsticks fights drugs why is there still such a huge drug problem?

Why take such a hard approach to X, when the inner city crack problem is litterally an epidemic?

Right now, at this moment I am sitting at my favorite bar, and looking out the window I count not one, not three, or even ten, but seventeen crackheads. As I speak they are either trying to sell, bum money off of litterally evryone walking by. And I'm not in some dive bar in the middle of the hood, I'm two blocks from the state capitol building. Our state congress, and senate trips over these people every day on their way to work, or starbucks, or where ever they go. It's sick, it really is. And instead of dealing with these people who accoust, rob, and beat people to support their habits our government in their infinate wisdom:rolleyes: decide it's more important to crack down on a drug that only raises it's head in clubs and peoples basements.

I think I'm going to move to Canada. I don't think my stomach can handle much more of this. It's starting to bleed from retching so much over what I read in the news.

Jesus helps me trick people.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Why is everyone talking about moving? Isn't this America? We don't run from our problems, we fight to change them. When our forefathers were faced with oppression and tyranny, what did they do? They held a REVOLUTION. And that's how you establish and maintain a working democracy. Thomas Jefferson said something to the effect that "Every republic should have a revolution once every hundred years."

Well folks, we're about 125 years overdue for a revolution...just food fer thought

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But honestly speaking - do you think that in anyway a group of people could have it over-turned?
From my brief knowledge of this act (I'm in the UK, so I don't have any particular experience) it seems aimed at the "Counter-Culture/Rave Culture" (Or whatever you want to call it). If, indeed when, these people protest, all the people in power will think is "Bloody kids just want their drug stuff back".

OK, this is a naive and simplistic view (hey 2 hours sleep isn't enough for some people ) but still, has any similar act EVER been over-turned?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:
Why is everyone talking about moving? Isn't this America? We don't run from our problems, we fight to change them. When our forefathers were faced with oppression and tyranny, what did they do? They held a REVOLUTION.
This country is way too fat, lazy, and decadent for that.

-Mike

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm sucks.
mike come to scottland mate.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
no no no, I think mike should move up to beautiful british columbia we have a shortage on docters up here too, so it twouldn't be hard for him to get a job as one, not to mention we have the worlds best rasta weed

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
This sucks sooo bad! Whatever you do, don't move to Mexico, they are even worse. Got an email about a guy who is still stuck in jail because he put on a rave in Mexico, they threw his ass in jail for promoting drug use! Despite all the $payoffs by lawyers, they still won't let him out.

I guess the moral of the story is: if you try to put on a rave, make damn sure that it's underground and kept quiet - most cops/feds/park rangers monitor the web sites and list serves so nothing is safe!

The experience of learning is living.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
During my rotations in 2004/2005 I will do three one month stints in Spain, Australia, and England. Following this, I will decide which of these countries will make the best home for me.

This is a difficult decision. I had looked forward to a career researching ADHD in adolescents and children. Spain does the most research in this field, but I am not sure that Spain will culturally be the best place for me.

the UK and Australia both do very little research on this field, but I would probably most enjoy being in either country. Australia is isolated, but the weather is beautiful. England is part of Europe, which is a plus, but the weather sucks.

Anyways, I will make this decision when I have more information. I do know that while I was visiting England a few months ago, I felt good there. It felt like the sort of place I would like to live.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
yes, things like this have been overturned in the past, but what it takes is someone really screwing up to enforce it (I personally think it will blow over eventually in regardence to teh "paraphenalia"). It takes time, passion, effort and research...and unfortunately, usually alot of money or backing somehow. But people have gotten government grants for research studies, and then used it to flip over these "acts". or portions thereof.

And the US has never been a democracy...NEVER.
It was a theory, and ideal to strive for but please make no mistakes that "We the People, For the People, By the People" and "Land of the Free" have ALWAYS been conditional statements and come with limitations, since it's original inception. If you look back, only the rich, white and male could have any say for how long? And those traditional ideals are still very much active and alive in our government. As long as they are, this will never be a fully democratic society.

Voting does not make it better, I truly feel that but neither does leaving in a tizzy. Those who are the ones the most passionate about change, the ones who are the most vocal about it, are usually the ones who give up the fastest...or move on thinking someplace else is better than here. That changes nothing for the better, at all. And yet, read the global news, EVERYWHERE has opression. Everywhere needs work. Everywhere has laws devised from ignorance and fear. Everywhere has an injust political system in some respect...because that is the nature of politicians. Many places worse than here. However, you don't see it until you live someplace else awhile. Talk to many immagrants and see how they view this country. It is not so bad in their eyes, not compared to stories they tell of where they came from.

I am sure that the forefathers would be proud to see some of the changes that have been made over time, and would also be rolling in their graves to see some of the idiocy that has evolved from their humble political groundwork. There is no absolute...if there was there would be a Utopia, and that does not exist.

I am an American. This means that I have no say in the politcal "voice" of my country, that is my birthright. I am not disappointed however, because I never fooled myself into believing otherwise. However, at least I have the comfort of being able to sit here and type this, or wear a tank top and shorts in public, or express my religious position and my political opposition without being stoned to death. For me having those rights is freedom that I really appreciate.

However, if giving up your dream for something as legistically small as this is what you really want to do (and let's face it, eventually it will die down and fade into the rule books the same way thousands of laws have in the past...because if it were a real issue, they simply would outlaw making glowsticks)...then I support you Mike, no matter what.

(and yes, I understand it is greater than this, this is the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
C'mon Mike. It's a small price to pay for the complete elimination of all of America's drug problems. By shutting down clubs people will have no choice but to compelely stop doing drugs.

And I still do wonder if I can get my school shut down under the Rave Act. We do knowingly admit students whom are on drugs on a daily basis.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Go go united states. Partiot act, home security act, rave act. Why not just suspend the constitution and cancel all elections.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC...it would be like one of those experiments showing people the MSDS of bread or water, to watch the hysteria unfold. If you could anonymously put bugs in people's ears and then see what unfolds. It would be funny.

And many of the kids I have known actually got their drugs on school grounds, so wouldn't that qualify under a plethora of laws? lol

I would try it at the beginning of next year though, extend the summer!

Pele

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
quote:
I've made my decision: I am going to finish my training and then go to a different country. The United States is not safe for freedom-loving people.

Way ahead of you there, Mike.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
Speaking of the Patriot Act...a friend told me that under this "act" the feds are requiring bookstores to provide names of customers who purchase certain "politcally incorrect" books. They're afraid we may become educated, literate, evil terrorists!

Anyone got info on this one?

Buy everything you can in cash $$$

The experience of learning is living.

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
Forget glowsticks, I want an F-15 next time I'm tripping!

Seem a little ironic that you can have glowsticks,
yet you get given free Speed to fly multi-million pound fighter aircraft!

All the people I know who take speed wouldn't consider driving or doing anything with machinery whilst on the drug! yet it seems that the US airforce thinks this is a safe drug to feed it's pilots!

https://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/12/20/friendlyfire021220

So are drugs bad, or are they good? Brings a whole new meaning to "The war on drugs"

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyber Sprite:
Speaking of the Patriot Act...a friend told me that under this "act" the feds are requiring bookstores to provide names of customers who purchase certain "politcally incorrect" books. They're afraid we may become educated, literate, evil terrorists!

Anyone got info on this one?

Buy everything you can in cash $$$

It's a rumor. I have two friends who work in HUGE bookstores, and both said that there is no such requirement. It would be too time consuming, too much effort and not enough real yield for the feds to gain any profit. AND that would be blatant disregard of right to privacy.

Never fear...you can still very safely purchase the Anarchist Cookbook if you so desire!

Pele

Arcanemember
28 posts

Posted:
NYC wrote:

quote:
C'mon Mike. It's a small price to pay for the complete elimination of all of America's drug problems. By shutting down clubs people will have no choice but to compelely stop doing drugs.
Since I don't know you, I'm going to HOPE that you were being sarcastic/funny in your above quote...(I went back and reread your post, I now see the winky smiley and realize you WERE being sarcastic, so please take NO offense by the following)

If not, then you haven't learned a thing from history.

Prohibition was an attempt by our government to stop an act (Drinking alcohol) that a minority of people felt to be morally wrong/dangerous.

We see how far THAT got them...Today Budwieser advertisements during the SuperBowl are always anticipated and generate MILLIONS if not BILLIONS of dollars.

Why?

Because the folks who were alive when Prohibition was passed simply said F&*K YOU! and did what they merry well pleased...Sure, it was done underground for a LONG time, SURE lot's of folks were imprisoned or lost their lives in the fight to abolish the law, but THEY BLOODY WELL WON!

To say that by passing law after law then the government will be able to 'end drug use' then you are naive and have much to learn about human psychology....

It is evident even in Child Psychology....

A scenario:

If you tell a child of 5 to absolutely NOT touch the cookies in the jar, then walk away without looking back, what will happen roughly 60% of the time?

That's right, specks of chocolate on the corner of a young one's mouth.

Is this implying that adults are no better than children?

No.

It a a correlary to simple psychology.

And a psychology that is MOST prevelant in Americans.

Tell us that we can't do something and see what happens.

That's why we are in AMERICA for Pete's sweet sake!!

Because a long time ago some folks in the various country's that our forefathers came from told them that they couldn't do something.

Does that mean we have to leave our country again to build another society?

NO!

It means we do what the folks a generation back did when the government said we couldn't drink anymore....

Say F&*K YOU and do it anyway!

And for the record:

I have attended probably 5 dozen raves...I have bought probably a thousand glowsticks...I have spun till my arms were rubber and danced till I dropped and I have NEVER taken 'X' in my life nor do I ever plan to.

The thought that a frigging GLOWSTICK or a RAVE could be the 'gateway' to 'needing' to drop 'X' is about as ludicrous as saying Marijuanna is a gateway drug to harder substances...

The proof in MY individual case:

I have smoked FIELDS of weed and have not ONCE EVER shot up, snorted, or otherwise used another drug.

To H#LL with the government, I will do as I damn well please.

Peace

Arcane

Editted cause I was mad when I wrote this.

[ 02. May 2003, 13:49: Message edited by: Arcane ]

...you're going to blow WHAT out of your mouth???????

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:
Go go united states. Partiot act, home security act, rave act. Why not just suspend the constitution and cancel all elections.
And probobly the majority of the US wouldn't lift a finger if they did. Most people don't care or don't want to know.

"The freedoms we have (in a relative sense) as Americans we have because we fought for them, not because of the good hearts and generosity of corporations." - Noam Chomskey.

Jesus helps me trick people.

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning?:
This country is way too fat, lazy, and decadent for that.
Well, Lightning, we're just gonna get screwed if natural born leaders like you run away (hehe ). Who will lead my decadent ass to freedom? I'm too lazy to revolt without guidance and it's not like other countries want more of us fat people around.

Seriously, sucks that this got passed, but don't run, that's just weak. You run, they win.

I'll keep sticking, and if they so much as ticket my ass it's off to the supreme court we go, cause I've never once used drug in my life and glow sticks are just fun damnit and in no way necessary for drug use (like, o say a crack pipe is for crack use).

Anywho, if ya do leave.... whatever, good luck.

No one knows me like I do.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Wait, why dont yall find out what the entire act says.

Ya some parts might be bad but some might be good.

Another thing, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO BREAK THE LAW!! It doesnt matter how stupid it is, you do not have the right to break the law.

Leave if you want, why not try to fight it? Why did the law pass in the first place? Because the people who wanted it, were organised and through that organisation they were well funded.

Why dont you get all your drug selling buddies together and pool your resources and fight to get it thrown out of the books??

Start your own political party if you have to, but you do have the right to fight against a law.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"