bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
just had a wicked play with LTC, Fluff and Durbs -

working on arm patterns (squares, pentagons, hexagons, eventually circles) creating anti spun shapes and interesting polyrythms. sounds really dull, but is actually really really nice.

none of us tried with spin patterns, but i'm sure they're just as doable, if not as visually impressive. (also sure that all of this is stfaf transferrable, and probably already been done by meg, or simian...)

so. first one (antispin)was making the shapes in reverse with both poi in same direction, making pentagons and hexagons on both sides of the body - like an antispin buzzsaw fountain, but more regimented. lovely on both sides of the body.

second (polyrhythm/hybrid) is in butterfly, trying to creat pentagrams, squares etc using ronans stretchy circle thing.

er. did any.of that make sense?

redface

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Another way of explaining is either, stepping the points, or moving as one.

Stepping: On a pentagon, alternating LH/RH - top, back, bottom-back, bottom-front, front - repeat smile
Moving from Front to top, can also be changed sides, so it's like an antispin weave.

As one: The hands stay together, and as Rob said, stretching the circles. TTN-ing as you do it is a nice touch smile

I think either can be done chase/butterfly, but the methods in the first post are the nicest.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
This seemed a lot cooler in person than in text...

Hmm...

It's kinda like the hybrid polyrhythm butterfly thing that durbs does in his patio video, but, instead of making a circle, make a square. Now, instead of a square, make a pentagon. then, draw out a pentagram (Five pointed star) with your hands... looks gorgeous...

Also works really well with antispin compound circles... I can't decide if they are flowers or not...

basically, we were playing around with drawing five pointed stars while we were spinning. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Yay for pentagons!!! (and ronans sketchy circle thing! ubblol )

Anyone try these??? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-Poinsot_polyhedra

sxsk17BRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
those are polyHEDRA, so idk exactly how you'd go about spinning those. although perhaps one could spin some sort of tetrahedral horizontal plane pattern or something...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Since I suck at visualizing text descriptions, any chance of a vid of this stuff in action?

Please?

*begging*
:P

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Sounds like circle stretchyness to me biggrin

For me it involves the breakdown of a simple circle and how a circle can move in a straight line...

...this can then be applied to any shape made up of one or more straight line...

... theoretically...

...maybe

smile

Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
sssssuperspin...

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh now what exactly is superspin?

I'm sure a couple of people over the last while have explained this to me but it never stuck...

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, please explain what superspin is.

I'm gonna go play with this, and just for the fun of it, i'm gonna carry a pair or leds in my hands as well.

Ciao!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Video would be grand so we can boggle eek

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I realise this is pretty difficult stuff... I'm only scratching some on what can be done, havn't fuond something really useful yet, so please....

Video!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Superspin is flowers with less than one petal. So your arm would do a full circle, but the poi wouldn't have completed a full rotation.

Superspin works with sticks, but i'm not sure it's possible with poi.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Ah thanks monkey,
In that case I don't believe superspin has anything to do with this.
But master house seemed to think that it had something to do with "intraspin" if that helps to confuse people some more ubblol

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
superspin works with poi, but only over a quarter beat

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti