Forums > Social Discussion > US families file lawsuit against state of Sudan

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
CBS article

Written by: CBS

(AP) More than six years after terrorists bombed the USS Cole, the families of the 17 sailors killed in the blast are heading to court to try to prove the attack could not have happened without the government of Sudan's help.

(...)

The families' lawyers intend to prove that Sudan has given safe haven to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda terrorist network since 1991 — long before Yemeni operatives blasted a 40-foot-hole in the side of the Cole in Yemen's port of Aden on Oct. 12, 2000.

(...)

The families are seeking $105 million in damages to be shared by 59 spouses, parents and children of the bombing victims.

Potential damages could be reduced, though, to not more than $35 million — U.S. District Judge Robert G. Doumar has said he is inclined to apply the Death on the High Seas Act, which permits compensation for economic losses but not for pain and suffering.

(...)

Carl Tobias, a University of Richmond law professor who is not connected to the case, said it's important to give the families their day in court. But he wondered whether a victory for them ultimately will help stop terrorism.

"Maybe it will have a tonic effect on other nations and they can think twice" about harboring terrorists, Tobias said. "It's another leverage point. We have diplomacy, force and maybe the rule of another law."

umm confused

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
Does that mean all the families and spouses of the terrorist attacks on american soil can sue the government for letting these terrorist stay in their country before the attacks took place.
Because they did absolutely nothing to prevent them either...

I am astonished at some of the actions of (americans in particular) to sue for everything and anything.

shrug

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GitasGuy

Does that mean all the families and spouses of the terrorist attacks on american soil can sue the government for letting these terrorist stay in their country before the attacks took place.
Because they did absolutely nothing to prevent them either...

I am astonished at some of the actions of (americans in particular) to sue for everything and anything.

shrug

:dito: ^^^^

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
*Waits for Iraqis to start sueing George Bush*

umm

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
My god!

I'm going to try really really hard not to get angry and post a huge rant in this thread, but lets just say that I don't quite agree with where those families are coming from (ha, both mentally and physically).

angry censored

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
WARNING - Joining the military may lead to injury or death!

I think that needs to be made clear to some people.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
god
damn

how pathetic can you get?

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Totally. Sudan is not the wealthiest of countries by a long shot, is in an area of the world that has some of the worst famines, and $105 million is a huge amount to take away from a country like that.

Imagine what could be done for the country with that amount of aid.

OK, so these people lost family, but they are censored sick if they think improving their quality of life at the expense of someone else's is the right thing to do.

There's a good chance that a corrupt third world government will fund the payout through arms and drug trade, further strengthening terrorists.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

Totally. Sudan is not the wealthiest of countries by a long shot, is in an area of the world that has some of the worst famines, and $105 million is a huge amount to take away from a country like that.

Imagine what could be done for the country with that amount of aid.

OK, so these people lost family, but they are censored sick if they think improving their quality of life at the expense of someone else's is the right thing to do.

There's a good chance that a corrupt third world government will fund the payout through arms and drug trade, further strengthening terrorists.

100% behind you on this!!!!

this just go's to show how petty and wank american socioty is today.

"i'ma sue that country because gurilla soldiers shot down my boys helo-chopter"

thing is, point blank.......................go to sudan, your life is in your own hands and 10 to 1 you WILL be shot at/petrol bombed or stabbed up.

i hope ALL these cases get thrown out of court rolleyes

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ubblol i wasnt aware the US District Courts had jurisdiction over the State of Sudan - how exactly do they expect to force them to pay?? Its like me trying to sue the US Government for being knobs in my local courthouse in Brisbane, Australia!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Is no one asking what a US war ship was doing there in the first place? Promoting freedom maybe?

When will the rest of the world learn that they need to be free like America?

wink

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
sudan has oil
EDITED_BY: biggins (1174535749)

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
oh yeh, sorry....theres also a link to osama as well...

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well, a terrorist attack ain't equal to a battle in war. It happened "out of the blue" (allegedly the US has put Sudan on the list of "evil states" last century already, so they should have been aware and it's in a "war against terrorism" since 9/11). Then, a (battle)ship ain't totally independent, so it has to go for refuelling (in a harbour) and such - why this had to happen in Sudan, I don't know about.

Dunno how big the influence of the US really is, but they could cut off Sudan some international aid, or "confiscate" some funds.

Whilst I understand the grief and feelings of the relatives, I do not think that taking such action is legal.

Basically I would side a positive court ruling (against Sudan), given that the US would accept to get measured by it's own morals, principles and jurisdiction. (Samboflux wink wink wink wink )

Unfortunately the US seem to act according to the old quote: "Quod licet jovis, non licet bovis." (It's fair to the gods, but not to the buffalo...)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Ya know...This didn't actually happen in Sudan, it happened in Yemen. What the US is on about is that the Sudanese government effectively went to war against the US by equipping Yemeni al qaeda members with the means to carry out this attack.

So rather than lob a few cruise missiles at Khartoum, the Americans are trying this tack in order to let sovereign nations know that they if they sponsor terrorist groups like al qaeda, there will ( if they can prove it ) financial repercussions.

The US already has $65 million is confiscated Sudanese funds, and if the families win the $35 million, that's where the settlement money is going to come from.

Am I the only one who actually read anything about this before posting on this thread ?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
But the US created and still sponsor al qaeda...Does that mean that I can sue the US for international terror attacks? What about taking them to international courts for committing genocide? over the last 40 years?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Maybe..give it a shot, and eventually Iraq might just successfully sue the US for the invasion and Native Americans may sue the EU for that invasion too.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Nice pointing this one out, Stout. clap

Where do we find evidence about the US still sponsoring AQ?

If the US would live up to it's own ethics, the world would be a better place rolleyes

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I guess it depends on just which part of the US living up to it's own ethics you're interested in. I suppose stories like this one or this one might serve as an indication that at least the US court system is trying to do so.

I can't say anything about the military though....

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Where do we find evidence about the US still sponsoring AQ?

Ok, so it's not 100% clear that they are (but then would it be either way?).

I heard about it from Seymour Hersh, who is admittedly using dodgy sources etc. Read more at https://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/28/150251

I'm sure I could find more things to sue the US for if that one isn't good enough - if I was the sort of person that was interested in that sort of thing.