mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hybrid Staff:

So taking the hybrid idea to be your arms doing different 'driving styles'/'spin paradigms' ie one of the following:

figure eight / one beats
longarm / isolations
anti-spin / trammel (refers to anti-spin in the buzzsaw plane)
superspin
pendulums
r types
(various other shaped spins)

(not including contact, or dual plane stuff as hybrids due to tradition. If dual planes had different paradigms then they would be hybrid. Similarly, if when doing contact you attempted to do something other than spin with the non-contact staff it would be a hybrid.)

So on to fun patterns:

one staff | other staff

longarm iso | anti-spin
trammel | anti-spin
trammel | longarm iso
one beats | longarm iso
one beats | anti-spin
pendulums | figure eight
pendulums | anti-spin
pendulums | longarm

addendums:

longarm | anti-spin
considering both staffs at either side of your body:
parallel and butterfly. For extra points, with switching the patterns between the hands on the half or quarter beats.

for both staffs in wall plane also. ado-p has a nice move in this form, in butterfly, but the arms make a parallel wallplane circle, one longarm, one anti-spin.

trammel | anti-spin
technically both doing anti-spin, but one is longarm, the other isn't. Who can tell if it's hybrid or not?

trammel | longarm
fun fun fun, in both parallel and butterfly.

one beats | longarm iso
also fun. In both parallel and butterfly, holding the one beat in different places around your body. Out to the side, at your hip, above your head etc. And then switching between them.

one beats | anti-spin
haven't done much of this pattern. I think I've only done one pattern in this style.

pendulums | figure eight
making weaves like this is fun.

pendulums | anti-spin
pendulums | longarm
not tried either of these thou. They look a bit special!

Yet More Chat:
So none of these are the traditional poi one isolated one longarm weave hybrid. Why? Well the traditional poi hybrid, one long arm, one isolated, is moveing the center of rotation of the weave pattern from the hands to the isolated center of the isolating poi. The pattern is like a wick isolation with a single staff, except wick isolations are really easy with staffs, and hard with poi. (where they're also called 'point' isolations) and obviously, with poi the point isolation is too hard, so it's actually isolated somewhere above the poi head.

So to mimic a poi style hybrid, you would essentially be doing two isolations, an isolated three beat weave, a relative isolation of the two sticks to each other) and an isolated point on one wick of one of the staffs... or above the wick, depending on the length of the staffs.

Instead maybe you could try for the long short style isolation, using an off-center grip. But offcenter grips are a whole new can of worms(...words?).

Also, I haven't discussed superspin hybrids or shaped anti-spin / shaped spin or r-type hybrids, mostly cos I haven't explored any of that stuff yet. biggrin

pretty colours later maybe.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh! So they DO have names! biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
smile

T-hybrids are nice too smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Miss Pike, I think you're going a bit fast on the driving style description, messing body/arm movement and object movement wink ubbrollsmile
for instance IMO one hand doing fishtails and the other doing fingerspin would be a hybrid .. if one defines it by driving style
You need to define what superspin / trammel / R-type are !!
anyway very good first draft biggrin
Need to give the subect a deeper thought to define it properly .. I have lots of idea coming

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Don't Miss Pike me Mr Olive! wink

Well I could have written more, like how isolation and long arm are the same, except if you do a 90 degree phase change, but nobody really does them, so it doesn't matter. The only difference and they only can be different if your sticks are short, is that the isolation point is outside of the line of that staff, if your stick is short.

I didn't think driving style referred to contact / dual planes, as I put above, because with one hand fishtailing and the other doing a one beat, they are both essentially doing one beats in terms of the way they are spinning. Whereas doing a fishtail spin one beat in one hand and a anti-spin fishtail one beat in the other (or normal anti-spin) would be a hybrid, because they have different spin styles, regardless of how the spinning is 'achieved'.

go look at "THE LAB" video I made to see what all those terms mean. I think they are defined pretty good in there. tongue

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Ive been trying some of these, my favourite at the mo is one arm BTB double spin while the other does a sort of longarm diagonal antispin fig 8 (from front bottom right to top back left).
Not sure if this is going to end up a 5 point antispin or stay 4 point yet cos i havnt got it solid yet but they give a nice sort of 1.5 looking pattern.

Are you saying that it doesnt count as hybrid if one staff is in contact? I can see that any contact patern in hybrid could also be done without contact to be hybrid but i dont think that should discount contact paterns.
What about a front side min steve and a horizontal wick iso? Oh hang on ive just answered my own question, they are both essentially doing a wick iso, i'll get my coat.

"Don't do it naked!"

malaman1GOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
mhhh...

i think i'm going to learn english ...

and the faster will be the better !

see you later !

EDIT: hum, old topic...
EDITED_BY: malaman1 (1191006436)