Forums > Social Discussion > Voynich-Muniscript, best kept secrets

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Wiki on it

Written by: Wiki

The Voynich manuscript is a mysterious illustrated book with incomprehensible contents. It is thought to have been written between approximately 1450 and 1520 by an unknown author in an unidentified script and unintelligible language.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

TeeHee - mysteries unsolved...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Unintelligible language? So it's a language that is unidentifiable. Yet is it isn't necessarily decipherable? Unless it's Navajo or something! wink

Ok, maybe I need to read the wiki link....

**edit** ok, so i read the link. And I'm going to vote with the people on the "its a hoax" side of the fence. Except for the part where it follows Zipf's Law, cos I dont think that could be arbitrarily faked.

right, i want to read more but i need to get off my arse and go meet a friend!
EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1174027940)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
wink

Why on earth would one write a book in the 15th/ 16th century as a "hoax"?

Written by: Wiki

By current estimates, the book originally had 272 pages in 17 quires of 16 pages each.[2] About 240 vellum pages remain today, and gaps in the page numbering (which seems to be later than the text) indicate that several pages were already missing by the time that Voynich acquired it. A quill pen was used for the text and figure outlines, and colored paint was applied (somewhat crudely) to the figures, possibly at a later date. There is strong evidence that at one point in time the pages of the book have been rearranged into a different order.[3]

The illustrations of the manuscript shed little light on its contents, but imply that the book consists of six "sections", with different styles and subject matter. Except for the last section, which contains only text, almost every page contains at least one illustration. The sections, and their conventional names, are:

The "herbal" section of the manuscript contains illustrations of plants.

The "herbal" section of the manuscript contains illustrations of plants.

* Herbal — each page displays one plant (sometimes two), and a few paragraphs of text—a format typical of European herbals of the time. Some parts of these drawings are larger and cleaner copies of sketches seen in the pharmaceutical section (below).

* Astronomical — contains circular diagrams, some of them with suns, moons, and stars, suggestive of astronomy or astrology. One series of 12 diagrams depicts conventional symbols for the zodiacal constellations (two fish for Pisces, a bull for Taurus, a soldier with crossbow for Sagittarius, etc.). Each symbol is surrounded by exactly 30 miniature female figures, most of them naked, each holding a labeled star. The last two pages of this section (Aquarius and Capricornus, roughly January and February) were lost, while Aries and Taurus are split into four paired diagrams with 15 stars each. Some of these diagrams are on fold-out pages.

* Biological — a dense continuous text interspersed with figures, mostly showing small nude women bathing in pools or tubs connected by an elaborate network of pipes, some of them clearly shaped like body organs. Some of the women wear crowns.

* Cosmological — more circular diagrams, but of an obscure nature. This section also has fold-outs; one of them spans six pages and contains some sort of map or diagram, with nine "islands" connected by "causeways", castles, and possibly a volcano.

* Pharmaceutical — many labelled drawings of isolated plant parts (roots, leaves, etc.); objects resembling apothecary jars drawn along the margins; and a few text paragraphs.

* Recipes — many short paragraphs, each marked with a flower-like (or star-like) "bullet".

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
They didn't have the internet then. They needed to do something for fun wink

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Usually "fun" was equivalent to "intercourse" wink

However, these were the times I guess... Nostradamus born 1503... maybe the ppl of this time liked to challenge church and science and decryptors wink Enjoy the day smile