Posted:
What do you think about flying poi?

Flying Poi on Youtube

HyperFlyz.com

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
And the youtube video?.... Madonna cane ragazzi!!!!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol

Written by: hyperplane.com

It is technically advance way of spinning, faster, easier and with more control.

surly thats faster, with less control? wink

foam on strings, great!

g force accelerator wouldnt be a little fishing weight would it? :P

why does it say fireplane?

i see the forum is going well.

sorry, good luck with that, but i wont be rushing out to by a pair, untill they release the 'technical' version...

peace

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
gforce accelerator? umm

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
maybe he meant flux capacitor....

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
either that or he thinks were all thick as [censored]!.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pineapple pete

gforce accelerator? umm

hug

I think it reverses the polarity of the neutron drive confused

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Possibly by inverting the warp field.....

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

either that or he thinks were all thick as censored!.

I was sort of wondering if anyone else was thinking that....

Thought i might leave this thread to the real poi experts though, its more entertaining for me to read that way hahaha ubbloco

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
for anyone that was still wondering about this website: the guy updated it with some better quality videos explaining about them slightly better.

I still think its an ill-conceived idea unfortunately, and still have issues with some of the stuff on his website, but meh, its better than it was.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

number 6 and 7 were missed off...

6: biggest piece of crap in the poi market!...

7: even worse than kiwido!

ubblol

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
best one is the FORUM!

2 registered users...

0 posts

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Ok, this has gotten just the teensiest bit overly harsh.
However, in fairness I'm not impressed either, I didn't see a single thing in the videos that couldn't be done with regular poi. I don't even use poi normally and I was able to do most of it with two bits of plastic tied to the ends of strings.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto minus "I don't even use poi normally"

P.k - I assume that by laughing at a forum with two registered users, and no posts, that you are also laughing at a forum that I run which has just started, as well as laughing at HOP in its infancy...

Did you laugh at PiP when it too had 2 registered users and no posts? umm

I thought you were my friend, and there you are, mocking me... dispicible wink hug biggrin

Written by: Someone, sometime once

From tiny acorns, grow mighty pieces of furniture

spank

Mr Flying Poi Guy: Hello and welcome Just a few suggestions;

Your website needs a rethink. I peronally dont like the use of frames, and in this day and age, the is no excuse for them. Just a menu at the top (and/or) bottom of each page is sufficient.

Im not happy with the terminology of fireplanes.. when there clearly is no fire. At all. There are instead LEDs.. which really arent fire. All this talk of putting fire in your heart, is spiritualistic hippy shite. If there was fire in my heart, I would be dead from internal combustion.

I dont find Rubiks Cubes easy in the slightest. Does this mean Hyperplanes are too hard for me? umm

Written by: Hyperplanesdotcom

HyperPlanes twirling encourages right & left brain activity. Which may explain why it is a relaxing activity for many people.

Sorry... Im now utterly, utterly butterly. No wait, the other one.... confused. What you have said is like saying; "Jam is sometimes put on toast. This may explain why birds suddenly appear. Everytime, you are near." umm

Written by: Hyperplanesdotcom

Q: I've never tried twirling or HyperPlanes before, what does it feel like?

A: Some say like a bird flying others say it's like treading water.

Were these people on acid? umm

I dont know what a bird flying feels like. Ive never managed to catch one before. Usually because it was flying and I was unable to catch it... And are you suggesting that Hyperplanes will make me wet, cold and tired? Because thats how I feel when treading water... frown

Have a tinker with the PhPBB. Its not to complicated really. Its easy enough to set up your own banner, and change the font and general layout. Have a look on the PhPBB forums for more ideas.

Lastly, what does the "10628" mean, and why does it show "https://hyperplanes.com/fire%20poi.htm" when I Ctrl+c/v it? eek

Other than that, theres a few spelling mistakes on the site, but hey, everyone starts somewhere! Good luck with your Hyperplanes! hug
EDITED_BY: UnbearablyColdOrFreezing (1177335613)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
By 'Turn on a dime' everyone (including myself at first) assumed it was being implied that you could reverse the spin of the poi barely having to decelerate.

It's a bit of a misunderstanding I'm thinking,

this guys poi are a plane/arrowhead shape, they have a definite front that will be pulled to be pointing in the direction of spin.

The fishing swivel simply means the plane can spin easily at the bottom of the string so it shouldn't have any difficulty rotating at the base of the string, keeping it's front, forwards in line with the direction of movement.

This is identical to the reason people have been putting swivels on tail poi for years to enable the tails to always stay at the back, without twisting the string.

so yes, they can turn on a dime, they are turning on a point far smaller than a dime in actually, just the swivel.

This isn't the first, nor will it be the last time I've seen poi shaped like this, but it is the first time I've seen them made of foam rather than cloth, the cloth cross head poi are fun as they have a lot of drag to them, so you can spin really slow, and isolate and stall easily.

There is absolutely nothing you can do with these 'flying poi' you can't do with any other string/chain poi, and there are plenty of things you'd have real difficulty with due to their lack of weight.

There are definitely lots of sock/cone poi tricks you will not be learning with them.

g-force accelerator? hahahaha. ok, ok it's a section of rubber added to the string so there's a bit of give, maybe helps stop the swivel locking from the pull on the bottom half from the top from the g-force. Won't be accelerating though.

---

selling simple, or not particularly unique is marketing, marketing is about hyping, of course they're going to try make out they're the newest/best thing since sliced bread. and try come up with buzzwords for essentially simple things.

Cheep toy for the non serious spinner. Nothing 'hyper' about them. certainly seen far worse poi on sale.

Flying poi guy you've basically only really come a cropper here because you hit up a forum where the marketing wasn't goign to cloud anyones eyes, and may have even annoyed people, but your sites probably got some more traffic still wink

Considering where the pull on the components are, they're actually built a little backwards. Well the rubber section could be anywhere along the string, but the swivel should be near the plane I believe, where the torque is being generated, as it attempts to spin.

Obviously I expect to see a cheque if that modification is made ;p

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Yeah pip once had 2 members... a long time ago!, now it has non.

So think that I'm allowed to make judgement from time to time.

Am I your friend? didn't know I had any!... where's your forum?... I wanna check it out.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Flying poi guy....honestly I can only see these selling well to beginners who dont know any better, being fooled by the false and quite frankly cheesy adverstising.

Apologies for being blunt - but they look absoloutly horrible to me!
A bit of foam on a string? Sneeze and they're gone!

The large majority of more experiance spinners here on the board, as mentioned before spin with sock or cone poi.
We're the wrong market to be advertising too...

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

after all it seems mostly UK based observation and/or critique!

I'm from the U.S., and let me tell you they look just as bad/silly here as they do there.

Sorry Hyperplane man but I hope you didnt take out your life savings on these things, which you most likely did. Your going to have a better chance selling these to kids at the carnival. No experienced poi spinner that I know would ever buy one of these.

Website - Beyond horrible design it made me laugh

Videos - Try somewhere more professional looking than your back porch.

Some other observations:
-"G-Force Accelerator" Do I really have to say how silly that sounds? You can tell in your video they take a little effort just to get spinning, they are very light and you have to weight them just to get them going, there is your g-force accelerator.
-You can also see in some of your pics and videos if you slow them down that your "planes" dont actually stay on a straight plane like you claim, they rotate around. This is from lack of aerodynamics and the material used, of course you know this already.

"Q: Are there HyperPlane Clubs that I can join?
A: Yes there are clubs setting up all over. Visit our forum section more info." -Ya not so much at all... and improper grammer to boot. I dont have perfect grammer either but if your pitching this as a sale you need to make sure your not missing words that should be there.

Ok I'm done, I am usually not one to knock on peoples ideas, but this one was really askin for it. Good luck to you sir.

hint.. maybe nerf will buy your idea.. never hurts to try..

"Runs with Scissors"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
hyperplane clubs? ok now I can't help but go beyond constructive critique, that's as funny as g-force accelerators.

Can we start sock clubs, cone clubs, chain clubs devil, string clubs ubblol

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

nathaniel_deforestSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna have to go with stout, durbs, and the laziest of angels on this one. the lighter the poi, the less I (and most spinners i know) tend to like spinning them. The weight is what lets you feel the flow of the spin and understand what you're doing. I can't see at all how more tricks are possible with these planes, but it does seems that shape and weight would make "string-contact" moves such as orbitals and hyperloops impossible. Not to mention, isolations with no weight=impossible.
So to me it really seems that less tricks ae possible with these toys than with socks and rice. Also, the foam contruction seems iffy. And I won't even go into this "g-force accelerator" nonsense. Maybe when (if) I try them I will think differently. I'll stick with socks till then.

do you believe in something beautiful?
then get up and be it.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
what's wrong with socks...next thing you know, you'll be dogging on tails smile

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

nathaniel_deforestSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
socks are the best

do you believe in something beautiful?
then get up and be it.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile

Why not make paper versions, then you can set them on fire for true fire planes? wink
I think I read on the internet somewhere about how you can make planes out of paper...

Anyhoo, from the videos, I'd suggest they're pretty new and inexperienced in the world of poi and did next to no research before launching the product.
Without meaning to sound too harsh, even his "guru" (from another post somewhere) is a master of fast weaves, plane breaks and such like - which perhaps HyperPlanes are ideal for wink

I'm also fairly certain that you couldn't easily hyperloop a hyperplane which makes the name somewhat misleading. Trade description act anyone? ubblol

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*phew* we, errm you ARE a cynic bunch hey! [sic] Good on ya! hug
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1177981088)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Oh My.... this thread made me laugh so much- espesh UCOF ubblol

Then I went on the website and watched the videos... seriously, I'm crying ubblol ubblol ubblol

The plane thingies look like they would be fun... for a couple of quid maybe, but not the price they are being marketed at!

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Not very impressed I must be honest. It doesn't take long to learn poi which is why I don't practice anymore (at all) I practiced fro about 2 months to learn up to 5 beat weave not reverse and all the basic weaves then about 1 month I spent learning butterfly about 1 year later I learned above the head all the variation 1 hand 1 hand above the head except BTB havent spent much time with that poi is too limited for me to think up new things constantly.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Y'know Pre, I never can quite tell if you're being serious or just sat at your computer having a laugh ubblol

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Can you make them whistle or make bubbles biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ls206SILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
i kinda feel bad for posting here but i don't think flyingpoiguy is going to come back
"Safe LED's don't light your self on fire as regular fire POI."
xD yup, it does get annoying everytime i use my fire poi - i burst into flames instantly, not only this but it usually ends up with spectators spontaniously combusting also...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Wow, some fairly harsh comments there guys (albeit deservedly so).. makes me smile more though to know I've not met with the same level of criticism though! smile

The things that really bug me about this toy are:

1) Spelling and grammar errors on your website and the frankly rather irritating videos.
2) Trying to blind people with 'science' - it might work in forums with less intelligent folk, but everyone I know from HoP are pretty sharp. Saying things like 'G-accelerators' and the like are only going to put people off.
3) Making unsubstantiated claims that your poi can do tricks that other poi can't. As others have mentioned, there's nothing in the videos that I've seen that can't be done with any other version of poi. If anything it looked like you'd have to go faster for them to even spin in a circle. More weight is generally a good thing.

I think you ought to have done a lot more market research before trying to market your toys to such an established market. If I were a Dragon I'd be chuckling under my breath, wishing you all the best and saying '...and for those reasons, I'm out'.

Good luck! smile

Cake or Death?

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
So, when do we get to criticise the flying staff?

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

Page: