Forums > Social Discussion > What's happened with the bees?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
https://www.aginfo.psu.edu/News/07Jan/HoneyBees.htm

https://maarec.cas.psu.edu/FAQ/FAQCCD.pdf

Bees are disappearing. Sounds a bit like the X-Files... but according to some articles I just read, up to 60 or 70 % of honeybees in quite a few regions of the States and Canada are gone, and in some places in Europe it happens, too (if not as much. yet?)

Obviously the problem's not just that there'll be less honey, but that lots of plants depend on bees to fertilise them in order for us to get food. Let's hope the bees recover from whatever makes them die! eek

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I honestly can't be arsed reading all that (i have reading coming out my ears for uni as it is) but woah, thats really bizarre! and not cool at all!

I cant live without my honey!!!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Bee are my absolute favourite insect.

Effient, intelligent, elegant, beautiful and feared.

I had heard it was some kind of disease killing them. Insect immune systems aren't adaptive, so we might need to wait for the populations to evolve resistance before they start bouncing back.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
It's weird though that they don't just lie dead in or around their hives. Not saying it's a conspiracy or the Vogons will blow up the planet soon, just that I'd assume a sad, sick little bee to go home and die with its friends. Though maybe if it's a disease it messes with their orientation system somehow.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

It's weird though that they don't just lie dead in or around their hives. Not saying it's a conspiracy or the Vogons will blow up the planet soon, just that I'd assume a sad, sick little bee to go home and die with its friends. Though maybe if it's a disease it messes with their orientation system somehow.

Bee corpses are cleared out of the hive by their compatriots.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well, from what I've read the beekeepers seem to find it surprising that there's no build-up of dead bees in and around the hive... also a few of the articles I've read seem to doubt that a disease alone can be the cause. More like, a disease plus monocultures plus pesticide use plus few wild populations of bees still going.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

1,189 posts

Posted:
Interesting.

It might not be killing them, just reducing their fecundity, but I think it's more likely they bees are just being tidy.

Pesticides have been used for a long time, unless somethings changed I don't think that's having much of an effect.

I'm not sure what the genetic diversity of honey bees are though. I think it would be hard to maintain a monoculture of bees (some species have fungi style incompatability complexes, and they can be tricky to slectively breed), but someone would have to look into it.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
aw, I've heard about this before, its such a shame, I love bees!. (All the wasps are horrible and can die, but bees are amazing!)

Did you know its scientifically impossible for bees to fly.

And thats why I love them...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
(I've not read the linked pages, so maybe this is on there)

There is a mite called varroa that kills the bees. The bees I've looked after got them and it whipped out over half of them (there were about 40,000 bees in total) with in 2 days.

It's a nasty thing, but I don't know enough about how it is transported to know if it could be a part cause for the downfall in the population.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Sym is king of the bees, it's true! smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pricklyleaf

Will you hate them if I tell you that's wrong?

A few decades ago someone tried apply aeroplane aerodynamics equations to bees. Rather unsurprisingly in retrospect, bees aren't little planes, so the equations turned out figures which wouldn't work. At that stage we didn't know how bees flew (different from it being scientifically impossible).

Flashforward, and innovations in fluid dynamics reveal that bees stay aloft by generating tiny microvortices with their wings (I'm told it's closer to swimming than flying). Rather like the 10% of the brain story, the facts were less permiable in society than the myth.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
@ Sym, the 2nd website is a FAQ, it's quite good in that you can skip to the bits that interest you... the 1st one is an article describing the situation.

One of the FAQ thingies referred to the name "colony collapse disorder", and why it's called "disorder" and not "disease". I.e. they figure there must be other reasons than just a disease on its own.

Jeff, yeah, pesticides have been around for ages. Hence them thinking it's a combination of various factors including the pesticides.

They did some genetic diversity check to find out if it was to do with one specific lineage of queenie bees, but apparently it's not. shrug I just really hope they recover!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hey..another urban myth that I've believed for years..(OK, I never thought about running down the truth before now) ..crushed by the power of the internet. Bees can actually fly.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Dissapearing bees is not good how am i going to make mead if i don't have any honey to make it with.
ubbcrying beerchug ubbcrying

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

Written by: pricklyleaf

Will you hate them if I tell you that's wrong?

A few decades ago someone tried apply aeroplane aerodynamics equations to bees. Rather unsurprisingly in retrospect, bees aren't little planes, so the equations turned out figures which wouldn't work. At that stage we didn't know how bees flew (different from it being scientifically impossible).

Flash forward, and innovations in fluid dynamics reveal that bees stay aloft by generating tiny micro vortices with their wings (I'm told it's closer to swimming than flying). Rather like the 10% of the brain story, the facts were less permeable in society than the myth.

Was that study about bees, or bumble-bees? umm

Bees I can't get afraid of - it's wasps (white anglo... wink )

This species would be one of the greatest losses :cries: hope for the bet...

Btw, Birgit: Are bees the only ones doing the job? (distribution of pollen that is?)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Was that study about bees, or bumble-bees? umm

Most insects use a comparable mechanism to power their flight. It has do do with the change in the behavior of air on smaller scales. So it holds for both.
 Written by: FireTom

Btw, Birgit: Are bees the only ones doing the job? (distribution of pollen that is?)

Flies do a little works, as do butterflies, beetles and even the wind. But bees do more pollinating that any other factor.

zamiriiBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
hmmm... we've got the opposite problem here.. too many bees and a lot of them have been africanized. (and no it's not a slur)

Every Day I add another name to the list of people who piss me off

tiger_chicmember
101 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dizzypheonix

Dissapearing bees is not good how am i going to make mead if i don't have any honey to make it with.
ubbcrying beerchug ubbcrying

whats mead??

..."LOOK at me, HERE I am, lllllooove me"... Luigi "Cars: The Movie."

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
'Mead (IPA: ['mid]) is a fermented alcoholic beverage made of honey, water, and yeast. Meadhing (ˈmɛ.ðɪŋ) is the practice of brewing honey. Mead is also colloquially known as "honey wine".' (taken from wikipedia)

What is an 'africanised' bee? I have a mental image of a bee with a little afro hairdo wearing a kaftan...

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Tea Fairy

What is an 'africanised' bee? I have a mental image of a bee with a little afro hairdo wearing a kaftan...

That would be the "killer bees", resulting from the hybridisation of an African strain and an American one. They are hyper agressive and prone to swarming.

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Aaaah... that'd be a bit like the massive bee that stung my eyelid a couple of years ago? It was a huge enormous bee (or else possibly a wood wasp - I didn't get a good look) and it hurt loads and my face swelled up for 2 days. Completely unprovoked too - I've always been told to keep still around stinging insects and then they'll leave you alone, so I kept completely still but this b*****d stung me anyway (it sounded very angry too)...

...or maybe I'm being overdramatic and it was in fact a regular bee... confused

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
If it flew off alive and didn't leave its sting in the skin it was a wasp. Bees lose their sting and die, wasps can sting again.

But a normal bee or wasp would make your face swell up if you get stung in the eyelid, I guess... also depends on how sensitive you are to bee/wasp stings in general, some people can take a few without big swelling, and others die from one because of an allergic reaction.

At the end of summer, especially wasps get kind of aggressive. So from September or so, when they start dying, I'd not keep still if one flew towards me...

Having worked outside in the summer, I found the best defence was to stand still until you can tell where it's flying to, whack it straight on the head, and then they usually learn the lesson and fly off. Whereas when you aimlessly flutter your hands about you to fend it off, they'll be intrigued by the silly big thing trying to provoke them.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

1,189 posts

Posted:

If it flew off alive and didn't leave its sting in the skin it was a wasp. Bees lose their sting and die, wasps can sting again.

A common myth in fact. Bees actually survive stinging humans more often than not, and wasps are actually more likely to die as a result than bees.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
No wasp that ever stung me died! (Except the one I hit...) Link?

(G.W. Dahlquist)

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
As far as I'm aware it didn't leave the sting in, plus it was around September, so I'm guessing it was a wasp.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

1,189 posts

Posted:

No wasp that ever stung me died! (Except the one I hit...) Link?

No, you're right. I was thinking of bees verses other insects.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:

A common myth in fact. Bees actually survive stinging humans more often than not, and wasps are actually more likely to die as a result than bees.

umm Can you back that claim up please?

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

umm Can you back that claim up please?

Retracted 15 minutes before your post. wink

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
No fair! ubblol

That'll teach me for researching my replies! I should just post without thinking, so I get in there faster. biggrin
EDITED_BY: Sym (1174584978)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ooh that explains it, poor bees

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Page: