SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Well a friend of mine, a gymnast, has recently developed an interested in purchasing a German Wheel.
He had a go on one when he was up in London on a visit/workshop, and wants to pursue his dream of rolling around like an elegant buffoon.

He has, however, had no luck finding places to buy one! All the websites he has found have been in German - and he has never been good at learning other languages... he usually relies on mime and charades when he goes on holiday. wink
Even with Google Translator he is finding the information on the websites unclear, and I told him not to buy anything if he wasn't too sure what the hell he was buying. He did of course try Ebay, believing them to have absolutely everything imaginable for sale, but again he had no luck.

I am posting here in vain hope that you lovely HoPers may know something. smile When you are interested in certain circus skills, you tend to learn a little about other such hobbies as well!!

So, here is what I mean when I say "German Wheel" :
https://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/2/2b/180px-96-Wheels-SpindleBridge.jpg
https://www.circusjuventas.org/Galleries_Taroq/German_Wheel_for_Two3.jpg
https://artsfestival.net/2006Festival/06images/german%20wheel_sized.jpg
https://www.corpus-acrobatics.nl/img/germanwheel.jpg

There are some fun little videos on youtube too biggrin

My question is...
Do any of you know where he can buy a German Wheel?
Be it a shop (he lives in Brighton... but oddballs does not sell them) or via the internet (preferably in English!)

Thanks in advanced! hug

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
it's also called a rhoenrad (Rhönrad) in german, and sometimes a 'gymwheel' so if yer friend searches for that, they might have some luck. (or at least, find different weird pages) I have many pages in the past that sell rhoenrad's and some are happy to reply in english if you email them. But I don't have those links around. Sorry!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
oooooh so very cool, i want one

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

rainbowgirlmember
70 posts

Posted:
WOW, its a giant hamster wheel, but for people!!

I want one, now!

Do you reckon if i ask nicely the easter bunny will bring me one? i dont wanna wait for father christmas!

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars

"To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems!"

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
The easter bunny IS well renowned for his German Wheel craftsbunnyship. So possibly. smile

I have to admit, I really want one too! But I think before I do anything like that I'll have to get a bit more acrobatic/gymnastic. tongue

Thanks for the information Meg, he said he found a German Site called Rhönrad, but obviously could not read it. I'll tell him to try emailing them - their email address should at least be easy to find!

Thanks again, will continue searching.

Edit:

Couple of videos for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm5l3VkJXqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ex5k5ifj70

There was also a video of a man "getting ready for work" on one of these wheels, dressing himself and everything - was very humorous, but i can't find it. smile
EDITED_BY: McAlpine (1173807204)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
very cool especially when he is spinning on the edge

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmmmmmmm - Ich koennte zum Beispiel beim Uebersetzen helfen? wink

(maybe I can be of assistance? - PM me biggrin )

This is called a "German wheel"??? Funny, I'm sure it's because it IS an oversized hamster-wheel.... and anybody in Germany does it, without being aware of it...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1173852130)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Just a heads up, it's amazingly easy to really hurt yourself on one of these. When you go uspide down your bail options are limited to falling onto metal and or having a large metal ring fall on you. A friend of mine rolled over his own hand and broke his wrist.

But they are lots of fun. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I think it's because apart from Germans, most people can't pronounce Rhönrad ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... and it's so close to "Funny RoehM" - so I guess they changed the name after WWII ... shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

wyldmajikBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
these guys are in the UK they may be able to help him get some more details about it all
https://www.torwell.plus.com/torwood/

Ultimately you understand there is order in the universe, even if there is no order in your immediate circumstances.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the link Wyld biggrin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

MonkeySpiralnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply!

I’m from the Torwood club, we have an training day on Saturday. It open to all abilities. From 10:30am – 5pm. if anyone is interested feel free to contact me.

Our club is in Suffolk (it’s the only one in the UK)

It’s not too hard to get to by car…
We are about 1hr 15min east of Cambridge (A14) and 1hr 15min north of the M25 (A12)

Or train its also 1hr 15min from London Liverpool St to Ipswich.

We have 9 wheels of all sizes. It’s actually easier than you might think to start with. We will be there to coach as it can be dangerous if without the right knowledge.

The guy that does the "getting ready for work" is Wolfgang Bientzle, very talented.

one of my favourite “straight line” routines (wheel stays standing upright, not in spiral) on youtube at the moment is Julia Pohling – Apocalyptica

I’ve been thinking that using poi and wheeling simultaneously could be a lot of fun. It’s possible to wheel in a gravity deifying way without hands, I just need to learn the poi bit now!

All the best,
James

James@Rhoenrad.co.uk

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
hey james,

Do you do roue cyr down there too? Or is it all just the german wheel?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MonkeySpiralnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
hi, we are looking at getting on for the club - it will take up a lot less space, which is good!

I've had a go with a single rim in Germany, they can look very elegant (just not when I did did!)

not wanting to start a "which type of wheel is better" thread (well you can if you like!) they are a bit limited to just spirals.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Nah, I like the single wheel cos it's simpler and I have one. Well mainly cos I have one. biggrin

I think they have about the same irritation factor to transport them. Can you even transport a german wheel that isn't breakdown-able? (Without a big car or truck.)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
ohhh i want a german wheel, hahaha id look so ridiculous on it.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
https://www.gym-wheel.com/RRBau.htm

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

pizarrostranger
1 post

Posted:
A guy, Holger Zimmermann, makes german wheels of high quality. He makes wheels to the cirque du Soleil. If you interested, his mail is: zimmermann@rhoenradbau.de

The website is in german, so contact on his mail.

Depending you live is the price
EDITED_BY: pizarro (1237155698)

LevFiredance Philosopher
79 posts

Posted:
Intense, looks nice.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I forgot about this thread, my god I want a German Wheel lesson. :-p

My friend got one by the way, but I don't see him so much as he's moved away to Uni. I'm hoping he'll show me what he's learned when he comes back for summer!!

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."