Forums > Social Chat > Anybody here into snakes? (the REAL kind) DUW!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
Just wanted to share some pics and see how many other HoP'ers keep as well. I'm really into the more rare and exotic species of snakes, not only pythons tho wink
Here's one of my Southern Amethystine Pythons:

Non-Https Image Link

One of my Moluccan Pythons:

Non-Https Image Link

Green Anaconda:

Non-Https Image Link

White Lipped Python:

Non-Https Image Link

Red Blood Python:

Non-Https Image Link

Mangrove Snake:

Non-Https Image Link

Any others? Post a few pics of your collection!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
wicked pictures, the one at the bottom loos a bit annoyed tough ubblol

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

wicked pictures, the one at the bottom looks a bit annoyed though ubblol

A nasty temperament is typical of Mangroves Boiga dendrophila. I have a knack when it comes to mean and aggressive snakes hug

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
a friend of mine used to keep a python, not sure of the species but it got too big for him to keep. stretched out it was somethng like 13feet long and took 3 of us to carry it.

it went to a good home, one of the local zoo's took it in.

tiger_chicmember
101 posts

Posted:
i live in NZ so i cant have a snake but those are really cool smile

..."LOOK at me, HERE I am, lllllooove me"... Luigi "Cars: The Movie."

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
I'm only a beginner herper (HerperHoPper ?) and going to go for either a Corn or King to begin with, something a bit more relaxed.

Just gotta save up as when I get one I want to make sure I can cover vets bills etc.

Also wanting a Tarantula.....

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i don't keep them myself, but i regularly look after my friends animals for them. they've got a python, aptly called monty, a corn snake, 3 water dragons, a bearded dragon, a white lipped frog, some rats, some cats, some dogs and some horses! they are about to inherit a crested gecko aswell.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tiger_chic

i live in NZ so i cant have a snake but those are really cool smile

You can catch snakes there. If you can get to the southwest coast there are tiger snakes (notechis scutatus), although I don't want to recommend an inexperienced to keep venomous snakes, but that's what I'd be doing if I was in NZ.

Written by: E_V_I_L

I'm only a beginner herper (HerperHoPper ?) and going to go for either a Corn or King to begin with, something a bit more relaxed.
Just gotta save up as when I get one I want to make sure I can cover vets bills etc.
Also wanting a Tarantula.....

Corns aren't bad, just boring IMO. Kings are more interesting (and yes they do eat other snakes, feed a corn to one!). I have 1 (well 2) colubrid snakes. Maybe some of you Europeans might recognize it:
Aesculapian Snake (Elaphe (Zamenis) longissimus)

Non-Https Image Link

So you like T's too huh, I got a couple arachnids:
Giant Colombian Flame Leg (Megaphobema robustum)

Non-Https Image Link

Tanzanian Giant Tailless Whipscorpion (Damon variegata

Non-Https Image Link

I like unusual things......

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
GROWL! :O

they're some cool pics you guys have smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

GROWL! :O
they're some cool pics you guys have smile

These are all mine lol!

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
You lucky, lucky, lucky censored

Nice pics there mate, loving the Flame Leg !

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
Weird thing with the Megaphobema, it's not aggressive, but doesn't like being held. It doesn't get a defensive posture either. That picture is what it does for defense. It just stands tall with legs all spread out. I wonder if it will let me handle it. I say it because it's too young to eyeball the gender of it. I can tell when it molts next tho, from the molted skin. Here's the rest of my photobucket for whoever is interested:
https://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m208/pythonjosh/

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Did you get you Mangroves Boiga dendrophila before or after they took them off of the dangerous wild animals list? or did that not affect you in Seatle?.

When they changed the law in the UK, my friend had a shipment on 11, 2 died and the other 9 were very badly damaged, we had to treat them for about 6 months and luckily they all turned out fine.. some of the most brutal nose rub i ever saw.

I personally used to keep lizards, started with the normal kind a Chinese Water Dragon... then ended up as follows:

3 Chinese Water Dragons (Biggest was 3 foot)
3 Green Iguana (Biggest 5 and a half foot)
2 Leopard Geckos
1 White Striped and 1 Normal African Fat Tialed Gecko
3 Tokay Gecko
1 Uromastyx (rarely saw as was nocturnal and a burrower)
1 Rhinoceros Iguana Cyclura cornuta cornuta

Later kept solely a Coastal Carpet Python Morelia Spilota McDowelli which i had to give up when i moved to Italy.

I no longer keep Herps, as i don't have the time to give them, however i will always keep my interest in them.

Your have some wonderful photos and a real nice collection hug

sarabiSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
yeah sure smile
I go to an animal-school here in sweden... It rox! We have one of swedens best reptile-experts as teacher, Tobbe Hedin
Lots of pretty snakes at school ^^

I'm gonna change the world if I just find a way

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
Good question PK_, currently there is a statewide legislation that is bypassing the voting process and just being approved by the gov or whatever (i hate politics). But technically, all Boiga are colubrid snakes, as are all opisthogyphous (rear fanged) snakes. They have specifically identified Boomslangs (Dispholidis typus) in the bill as well, although they are also colubridae, they can still kill an adult. So the ability to kill is what they are lookin at (this time). Previous versions of this bill (created by the same Peta member) had every single animal except for dogs, cats, and fish on it to be outlawed. Now they've narrowed it down to something feasible. Even though the keeping of venomous snakes in the state of Washington isn't a problem as there hasn't been an envenomation (or death from) in Washington in many years. It's not a problem, yet this fckin PETA member keeps pushing this bill.
But personally, I keep my name out of the government. I don't vote, I just do my best to avoid it all. Whatever laws are made, I will always have ways to get whatever animals I want. I don't abide by stupid laws. Everybody that doesn't know snakes asks if a corn snake is a king cobra or if it's "poisonous" anyways. Btw, for ppl that don't know, there isn't a poisonous snake on the face of the earth. You can eat every single one of them. Poison -> you eat it. Venom -> it eats you. Get it? That wasn't towards anybody specifically, just wanted to help ppl to keep them from asking stupid questions.

PK_, there was a couple Cyclura at the last reptile expo I went to for around US$500. I'm not much into Iguanas tho. I would like some green iguanas to feed to the conda tho lol

Sarabi:
What kinda animals are you workin with over there?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I worked for years as a reptile rehabilitator for the WNY Herp Soc.
There's a photo in my gallery of my baby Goldie.

Right now we have a beardie name Harlequino Davidson.

At one time we had...well....alot.
2 Red tail B.
1 Green Tree B.
2 Ball P.
2 Beardies
1 Green Iguana (let me add I HATE them)
1 Madegascar Panther Chameleon (was a fav)
1 Mali Ur.

I don't have the time to invest in nursing them anymore, except Harley.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
Green Tree B? Do you mean Corallus caninus (Emerald Tree Boa) or Morelia viridis (Green Tree Python)?

Green Iguanas suck! I've had to treat tons of them for infections or whatnot. Hands down the messiest, dirtiest reptile. 6 places with sharp objects: teeth, claws, and tail.
Seen some of the worst cases and ppl should need a license for them. Green Iguanas are best used for Anaconda food :P

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I'd agree, green iggies are naff as pets!, and they should be made illegal to keep them as pets, people get them and don't know how to properly care for them, I've re homed 2 of them.. normal excuses like it got too big, or wasn't very tame.. my female was a nasty piece of work, the male was fine, just big! and was still growing, i had them re homed again by my friend who owned my local herp shop to make room for my Cyclura cornuta cornuta.

$500 is next to nothing for a Cyclura cornuta cornuta, i paid £900 for mine it was originally up for £1200 but i did some bargaining and got the price down, as they are rare to find them in the UK, an old friend of mine who is a herp importer imported the very first 18 of them to the UK so knew where to find mine for me, eventually i had to give up my collection my Cyclura cornuta cornuta was sold for £250, because no one wanted one, most people didn't know what it was or thought that it was too expensive, took me 6 months to find a buyer.

He was a funny iggy though... if he saw you with a bag of grapes, he'd attack you till you gave the bag to him, best to just give him the bag!.

There are always ways to get dangerous wild animals with out a license though, i was once offered some baby crocs for £15 each oh boy was i tempted at the time!

i missed off a beardie from my list too, he ended up as water dragon food, plus infact i had 4 water dragons not 3, the one that ate the beardie died from that accident, he was a beauty too, don't think i ever saw another as big as he was.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lol found this photo on my HDD

Non-Https Image Link

My cat used to love sleeping in there, she was either very stupid or loved the warmth.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Tree Boa. Emerald/Green they are the same thing depending on the dealer/handler you have. Just like a Ball is aka a King P. or a Royal P.

In NYS you do have to have a license to own an Iguana, and it is pretty pricey annually too. Carnivals also had to stop giving them away as prizes. However, you can buy them across the state border cheaply and bring them in, which still makes them thought of as a "cool disposable animal". mad

Pele

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Tree Boa. Emerald/Green they are the same thing depending on the dealer/handler you have. Just like a Ball is aka a King P. or a Royal P.

Except with Ball/Royal, there isn't another completely different snake species to mistake the common name with. Which is why most "knowledgable" dealers distinguish the 2 with their correct common name. I emphasized that because there are plenty of not knowledgable dealers that we al know about. I'd steer clear of any dealer that's selling a boa as a Green Tree, because it shows he not knowledgable about what he's selling. That's why I stick to latin names smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I don't deal with dealers, I rescue and rehab (hopefully, some are beyond that). I worked closely with a vet who even admitted that even the latin names are not failsafe for identifications either, especially when they do not carry the characteristics of their species (this boa carried more traits in common with a red tail but was not..it was weird..wish I could find the photo.)
shrug

Either way that snake was releived of his impactions (anal and scale), treated for his respiratory infection, I managed to forcefeed it and not get bit (as they are notoriously nasty) and he went to a very lovely home that adores him, which is good because I did not.

Pele

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
I used to look up to vets for their herp knowledge. Then I realized something. Veterinarian's are neither herpetologists nor herpetoculturists. All their studying is in the medical/pathological side, not on species identification. (not to mention all their studying is on MAMMALIA!). I'm lucky to have an experienced exotics vet here, someone I can actually respect. Most other vets I go to, I walk in, tell them the symptoms, and tell them what medication they need.
So many vet's are stupid when it comes to herps.
Importers are generally good because they know what they're looking for. Importers != dealers btw, dealers/brokers (like LLL) commonly get some rare animals that they don't know about, and sometimes common animals they don't know about lol.
I have a few imported animals, and one just recently. All the importers I know in business nowadays (at least from Indonesia) are incredibly knowledgable about all the species they export.
I tend to avoid companies/dealers/ anybody selling an animal, that doesn't seem to know what they're talking about, unless I positively know what the animal is, and I really want it. Such misidentification and lack of knowledge is very very common when ppl sell "Amethystine Pythons". They don't realize that every single island has it's own isolated population and it's morphological differences, for example.
Just wanted to say vet's don't familiarize themselves with latin names of reptiles, or even reclassifications.

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
Thought you guys might like to know what all I'm currently working with too.
3.2 Southern (Merauke) Amethystine Pythons CB (Morelia amethistina)
0.3 Moluccan Pythons LTC (Morelia clastolepis)
0.1 Halmahera Python (fresh import) (Morelia tracyae)
1.1 Red Blood Pythons LTC/CB (Python brongermsai) (the male is def Malaysian (LTC), but the female is CB so she is definitely american at least lol)
1.0 Mangrove Snake LTC (Boiga dendrophila)
1.1 Solomon Island Ground Boa LTC (Candoia carinata paulsoni)
0.1 Green Anaconda (Eunectes murinus)
0.1 Dumeril's Boa CB (Acrantophis dumerili)
0.1 Colombian Boa CB (B. c. c.)
0.1 Regal Python CB (Python reticulatus)
2.0 Burms (1 albino, 1 granite) (Python molurus bivittatus)
0.1 Macklott's Python (Liasis mackloti mackloti)
1.0 White Lipped Python (Leiopython albertisi)
0.0.1 Colombian Giant Flame Leg (Megaphobema robustum)
0.0.1 Tanzanian Giant Tailless Whipscorpion (Damon variegata)
and 1.1 Chillas (Chinchilla lanigera)
as well as:
1.1 Naja naja
0.1 Naja karachiensis
0.1 Bitis gabonica rhinoceros

Sooo that puts me at 26 snakes, 2 arachnids, and 2 Chillas. I've got a full house! (I need more snakes!)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pythonjosh

Just wanted to say vet's don't familiarize themselves with latin names of reptiles, or even reclassifications.

I find that to be an extremely untrue blanket statement.

We have *several* very good herp vets here, because we have a very large rescue association and zoo's with herp houses.
I was priveledged to work closely with one and know a few more. We have a great network here, from So Can through NY to Pa and Oh.

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Nice collection.

Are your listings M/F or F/M ?

Is your Morelia tracyae Wild Caught? or Farmed?

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I have but one snake, a 3ft male ball python named Harlequin.

I would love a second snake, like an apricot pueblan milksnake, red tail boa, or rainbow boa. However, on the same token, I would prefer a rescue snake. Harley was a rescue snake, and, when the time's right, I'd like to give another snake the same chance I gave Har at a good life and home.

By and by, on a semi-related side note:
After a year and a half, Harley is FINALLY on a regimental and appropriate feeding schedule of large mice as opposed to far oversized rats. It's been three months and counting since he settled into this schedule, long enough for me to feel comfortable saying we've fixed some of the poor feeding habits. However, now, we're hitting a new issue, and I'd love for advice from other people with experience with diet adjusting, since Harley has proven exceptionally stubborn about his feeding.

Any volunteers?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Written by: pythonjosh

I find that to be an extremely untrue blanket statement.
We have *several* very good herp vets here, because we have a very large rescue association and zoo's with herp houses.
I was priveledged to work closely with one and know a few more. We have a great network here, from So Can through NY to Pa and Oh.

There's no reason for a vet to keep on classifications because it doesn't effect the care for the animal. If a vet were to keep up on classifications it would be for personal interest (and not many vets have that). The exceptions prove the rule. We're lucky enough to have one good exotics vet (that's it, just one) here in the NW with all the rescue programs here and the growing herp community. Doesnt mean that most vets keep up to date on herp specific stuff, just a small amount do, and even smaller than the amount that actually treat herps.

Written by: PK_

Nice collection.
Are your listings M/F or F/M ?
Is your Morelia tracyae Wild Caught? or Farmed?

M.F.U
All M. tracyae are WC. There is such a limited amount of them that the possibility of coming across a gravid one in the wild is next to never. Breeding information has not been established as far as required temps either. Definitely not like any other scrubbies. Hopefully specimens start living longer so we can learn more.

Kathain: Balls are very erratic and spontaneous pertaining to their feeding behaviors and appetites around this time of year. I've had a pair go off feed for 8 months before. If the animals are not losing weight, it's nothing to worry about. It's when they start to lose weight that there is a definite sign of a problem. I'm so glad I don't keep Ball Pythons any more btw. Many other species of Python are way easier than Balls. But if you like rescues rather than quality animals, you're gonna be dealing with a lot of neglected and problematic Ball Pythons. I used to be in the rescue scene, but I've seen enough animals (Balls and Igs) in bad condition.
As far as getting them back to feeding, you can try other prey items than mice/rats. Try dwarf hamsters, hamsters, gerbils, gerboas, spiny mice. Just try anything out of the ordinary, and hope they don't get addicted and only eat those and refuse everything else. Hope this helps.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
No, it's not that. I know balls are generally quite strange when it comes to feeding preferences, and often picky snakes about feeding. After a three month lull of off-feeding, Harley wasted no time when he decided he was ready to settle for smaller, and more appropriately sized prey. Before that, he was just striking and killing but not eating, only actually feeding when I would give in and give him the larger rats.

I want to try to switch him to a prekill/frozen diet, but it's been... tricky. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks that I don't. =/

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

No, it's not that. I know balls are generally quite strange when it comes to feeding preferences, and often picky snakes about feeding. After a three month lull of off-feeding, Harley wasted no time when he decided he was ready to settle for smaller, and more appropriately sized prey. Before that, he was just striking and killing but not eating, only actually feeding when I would give in and give him the larger rats.

I want to try to switch him to a prekill/frozen diet, but it's been... tricky. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks that I don't. =/

Wow a ball preferring rats over mice. You've got a weird one lol.
Tricks to switching to frozen thawed:
Super heat the prey item. 115F is near the normal temp of a mouse so use the hottest water from the tap to heat it up. Another thing I do with mine is bag the prey so that it never touches the water that can dilute that tasty rodent smell that snakes like.
Second method if that doesn't work, tease feeding. Use tongs and ever so lightly touch the tail with the prey, try rubbing along the midsection of the animal too. Anything to stimulate a feeding response.
If it get's to the point of being defensive and snapping at the prey, get it to keep biting it. Up to about 5 times he should hold on to it.
Another method is scenting. Rub some hamster on the thawed mouse/rat before offering to the Ball.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
good for you and the rescues
we had a few difficult snakes at the store i worked at...i liked balls better
they sell scents so you don't have to rub hamster, we used them, and it worked. some we did the teasing and the scenting and that worked best

i would like to say that rescues can be quality animals as well...some need work, but that imo shows what good herp people are. not needing the perfect snake but seeing one through it's neglect. it can be rewarding and you can get a great snake out of it. little soapbox

a friend and i worked with a red tail, he was cuddly in the end, liked to snuggle my body heat biggrin

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Page: