Forums > Social Chat > Anybody here into snakes? (the REAL kind) DUW!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
Just wanted to share some pics and see how many other HoP'ers keep as well. I'm really into the more rare and exotic species of snakes, not only pythons tho wink
Here's one of my Southern Amethystine Pythons:

Non-Https Image Link

One of my Moluccan Pythons:

Non-Https Image Link

Green Anaconda:

Non-Https Image Link

White Lipped Python:

Non-Https Image Link

Red Blood Python:

Non-Https Image Link

Mangrove Snake:

Non-Https Image Link

Any others? Post a few pics of your collection!

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pythonjosh

Wow a ball preferring rats over mice. You've got a weird one lol.
Tricks to switching to frozen thawed:
Super heat the prey item. 115F is near the normal temp of a mouse so use the hottest water from the tap to heat it up. Another thing I do with mine is bag the prey so that it never touches the water that can dilute that tasty rodent smell that snakes like.
Second method if that doesn't work, tease feeding. Use tongs and ever so lightly touch the tail with the prey, try rubbing along the midsection of the animal too. Anything to stimulate a feeding response.
If it get's to the point of being defensive and snapping at the prey, get it to keep biting it. Up to about 5 times he should hold on to it.
Another method is scenting. Rub some hamster on the thawed mouse/rat before offering to the Ball.

Yeah, I knew about the hot water, thawing in a bag, and the scenting. I was wondering if there was anything else. Har's just a rather stubborn guy.

You want to hear how strange Harley is? When I first got him, it wasn't that he would only eat rats. It HAD to be an all-white, female rat, with normal fur (no rexes!), and only a certain size. Drove me up the wall. If it wasn't precisely what he wanted, Har would strike, kill, and, then, drop it.

But, despite all that, I love my guy. He wasn't a neglected snake. His previous owner was about to get shipped out to Iraq, so he brought Harlequin in to the pet shop in a last ditch effort to find a home with someone who at least had a clue how to take care of a snake. Harley was just so sweet and had such perfect manners, that I just completely caved in when my ex asked if we could take him home. biggrin

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
yay
we had a snake at the store that would only eat white mice, but it didn't care about the gender
and yes not all rescues are cases of neglect- ooooops biggrin

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

i would like to say that rescues can be quality animals as well...some need work, but that imo shows what good herp people are. not needing the perfect snake but seeing one through it's neglect. it can be rewarding and you can get a great snake out of it. little soapbox

I was referring to quality animals as an animal that's from a breeder so it's history and lineage is known and established. Most rescues are of pet store animals, etc. I say most, not all. Of course I can't wait for the day I get a call from someone wanting to dump their albino retic or albino ball or Ophiophagus hannah (well any hot actually) on me because they just can't take care of it any more lol. Not sayin you can't get a good pet out of a rescue tho. I'm not a pet person tho, having 25+ "pets" could make someone crazy. I'm a hobbyist. That doesn't mean I care about them any less tho. Right now I'm tryin to pick thru the ones I want to sell and it's not goin so good lol.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i used to know a kid that had 9 Retics... kept them all in his bedroom... if you ask me he was a little crazy wink

I think that some people fail to differentiate between hobbyists and pet owners.

I had cats for pets, but then i had 2 normal cats and two high pedigree mainecoons... so that really made only two pets, the coons i took as i was into breeds rather than them as pets making them a hobby... and at the cost of them £250 a kitten it's a bit steep for a pet too.... pets i would consider an animal costing no more than £30-£90 with equipment and not really requiring any keeping knowledge... i know that you could get a baby Iguana and starter kit for that kind of money too, and thatìs why re homers and rescue centers get bogged down with them.

As well as my cats and mainecoons, i also used to keep Tanjanikan Cichlids mainly:

Cyphotilapia frontosa

[image]https://www.akva.sk/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=6184&[/image]

(linked photo as i dont have a scanner to scan my tank pics)

Then progressed on to Marine, which i'd like to do again... i gave up only after a local dealer gave me bad stocl and killed my £1000 worth of stock. frown

No my hobbies don't include animals... having a son took care of that, one day i would like to do another Marine tank maybe but i have my eyes on a couple of Vespa i would like to buy first.. and for that i need cash!.

3,556 posts

Posted:
i miss my friend maine coone

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i have some photos of my coons in my deviant account
https://ho-mono.deviantart.com
some were published in a book many years ago.

3,556 posts

Posted:
fudge used to play in the shower

Faith

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

i have some photos of my coons

eek
i KNEW you where a raccist wink ubblol

Page: