Forums > Technical Discussion > Body language: Postures and Gestures

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Just two days ago I have seen one of the prettiest girls spinning staff in a long time... everything nice, except

- the hand in which she held the staff was always kept to the body
- she hardly looked up
- she rarely bent her legs or moved much (as in dancing)

Now I do believe that some spinners get into "the Zone" without noticing anything around them any more, also not seeing/ perceiving themselves.

By holding out the (unused) arm straight, by holding up the chin, or (instead of hustling from one move to the next) presenting the audience with an expressive posture adds so much to the performance - IMHO...

Whaddayathink?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
*hip-thrust* wink

It's not just about the poi/staff moving around you. It's about you moving around the poi/staff too biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yep - like getting spun by the staff/ poi wink

Rereading my initial post, I sound like hyper-critical rolleyes Which I was... I let my mind ruin the moment - instead of simply enjoying her in her space... spank

But let me say that much: There is a fine red line between no gestures at all and overdoing it...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I often think that there are 2 sides to poi spinning, there is the circus, trick type side, and then there is the dance type side. In my opinion, the best poisters use both in a balance that suits them well. Often I see really talented spinners, doing some amazing tricks, but I don't feel at all compelled to watch them, as their performance isn't quite there, a 27 beat behind the back isolated weave at high speed can only be interesting for a short amount of time, and if you are standing like a monkey when you do it, you make it look hard and ungraceful. I think that the best poi looks effortless, if the person has poise and moves well you don't need to believe that they are busting a gut, and it is lovely to watch. Good poi dancers use poi as an extention of their body to magnify the moves, and use complex tricks to accent their dance, not being afraid to break it down and go really simple.

I think this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDAI_mWHYc is a very good example of this. I have watched this so many times and could keep watching it and *not* because I am rewinding and pausing thinking "WTF was that crazy blurry move?" [Meenick is a god those moves are *so* much harder than they look at first]

There's also a great bit on the Encyclopoidia DVD where Zan does the same bit of poi choreography twice, once standing still, which looks average, and once dancing and doing acrobatics, which looks amazing.

So yeah I agree that expression and performance really make the difference. The key is that a performer has to find their own style, that they are comfortable with and can carry off.