Page: ...
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Whip moves!

I'm going to assume you're not an idiot, this thread isn't an excuse to go out and hurt yourself to make up a new crack. I don't think I know any crack that deliberately crack towards your body, rather the crack is always directed away. Thou sometimes it will hit me or the rebound from the crack, or on the way to the crack.

Also: WEAR PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT: a hat, a long sleeved top, and glasses. Aussies would recommend a wide brimmed hat, so you can tell if it's close to your face. But the best protection is learning to crack 'softly' and not force the whip. Once your confident, and you know where the whip 'is' in the space around you, you can learn how to crack it loudly and safely.

Here's the single cracks I know (ish - I can't remember the proper names sometimes, clarifications appreciated):

The throw: Starting out from behind you, you pull your arm forward and the crack happens where you point your arm, out in front of you. (as if throwing a spike underhand to a target in front of you)

The flick: from spinning the whip in a circle, you kinda flick a crack out using a punching-esque motion and the whip keeps going in the same direction as it started out.

Cattlemans crack: A typical direction change crack, starts with the whip laying on the ground, point behind you, you bring your arm up and the whip makes a big circle, as it's going over your shoulder, your change it's direction by extending your elbow and the crack occurs out in front of you.

Coachman's Crack: A cattle mans crack but you wait a lot longer from the crack and extend your arm downwards, so that the crack is next to your ear or above your head on that side.

Really there's only two crack's I know, a throw and a direction change crack, occuring at different places, but I'll go on to describe some patterns.

Figure of Eight - a cattlemans crack, and then the back crack version the other way, with a long drag of the whip inbetween.

Volley - (also called "fast figure of eight") Like a fast version of the above, a cattlemans crack and then on the rebound there is an immediate back crack. And so on continuously. (can be high or low or horizontal...)

Cow and Calf - (also called "whoosh - bang") A throw but pulled up after the crack and using that circle to do a cattlemans crack. And so on, continuously. (can be anywhere, high, side to side, up and down or low side to side. probably back hand up and down too.)

Snakekiller: Doing continuous flicks downwards, alternating from each side of the body. (As if trying to kill a snake on the ground in front of you.)

Meg's favourate pattern: Doing a throw behind your body in wall plane, pulling it forward on the rebound into cow and calf and after the cattlemans crack doing a throw from the otherside of the body.

Tasmanian Twist: I seem to recall it being a figure of eight, then you mangle the planes and do what is essentially a cattlemans crack BTB. But it usually points a little more down than normal.

Arrowhead: Volleys, but done in a special way: Volley back on one side, volley in front, and then volley back on the otherside of your body. making a V shape if viewed from above, hence the arrowhead.

Suicide Crack: Volleys, but done with both hands on the whip, in front and behind you, like the standard volley, but this time directly in line with your body, and the whip passes in a circular motion (well it goes forward on one side and backwards on the other) around you, making you look quite insane.

and the double cracks I know: (mostly names from aussie whipcracking competitions.)

The Train:

The cow and calf, in both hands, staggered (not full split time,) with the throw (the calf) a softer crack that the cow. Done so that it sounds like a train.

The Southern Cross:

"A crack to the Front immediately followed by an under the arm crack to the back then over head crack to one side followed immediately by a crack to the other side finished with a kinda helicopter wind up to an emphasized horizontal crack about 45 degrees to the front of the first side again. 5 cracks to different points representing 5 stars in the southern cross (famous constellation in the Aussie sky - as seen on our flag). " - thanks to pyrolific

Simple weave thing:

Continuous flicks out in front of you, from both hands, in a two beat weave. (flicks alternate sides of the body.) Same can be done in the three beat weave.

The arrowhead can also be used in a weave.

EDITED_BY: mcp (1184585329)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
toms favroit

a throw behid you that imeadatly brought forward to a cattlemans crack, produces two cracks even closer together than the volley.

coachmans crack, like a variation on the cattlemans but you pause at the top of the arc untill the whip is curled round and pointing nearly straight up before bringing hour hand down in a swift arc. cracks not far from your ear. especially cool with two whips as it looks like two curling horns.

T wave

p.s. meg, where them youtube whip videos at?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh and folks, remeber to wear a hat and some glasses when prcticing, thease things hurt!

-><- Kallisti

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=vyf3_ipygHA

that's the best one I've found...

biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Hooray! A whip thread- Mr Bovril will be pleased. I can do a couple of cracks, but only in my right hand- my left is a wonkey donkey.

Roll on long summary sessions where I get to play with great people and great kit biggrin

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Whipping in the rain is quite sweet, the sonic boom creates nice mists that disperses in the air... biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vyf3_ipygHA

that's the best one I've found...

biggrin

That's easily the best video I've seen.

Written by: Mr_Chutney

Mr Bovril will be pleased

Indeed I am biggrin
I'm currently trying to work out how to get the cracks I know down on paper (or in notepad wink), but I'm finding them even harder to describe than poi moves. Maybe that's a good enough excuse to buy a video camera.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I shall be watching this thread with great interest bounce

*goes back to re-read the descriptions to understand better*

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
woo hoo! whip thread! i've not long started whip cracking, got a 6ft bull whip at the moment. i can do the basic cracks, but i wanna learn some more interesting ones. and i really want to try doubles.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Meg - I think the Southern Cross isn't anything like that one you described. Southern cross as shown me by a guy that worked on cattle stations for 10 years;

A crack to the Front immediately followed by an under the arm crack to the back then over head crack to one side followed immediately by a crack to the other side finished with a kinda helicopter wind up to an emphasized horizontal crack about 45 degrees to the front of the first side again. 5 cracks to different points representing 5 stars in the southern cross (famous constellation in the Aussie sky - as seen on our flag).

hehe, whip cracking is an interesting cultural thing in Aust. Country people compete in it and some take it really seriously. Once Kate and I did a fire show at a Country Fair, and afterwards when chatting with some of the younger organisers, I told them I wanted to learn whip tricks. They said I wasnt allowed to because I'd be 'too good at it' ?? huh??

Another time I met a guy who competed, and he didnt want to teach me whip cracking 'because its something country people do' implication - youre a city boy, this isnt for you.

I've heard similar things from other juggler types who have taken up whip cracking...

tis well fun tho! smile

ok no more hop. exam study time.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
okay cool.

I'll have to go check out the whip cracking DVD my flatmate has again, all the names have kinda blended in my head.

Yeah whip cracking is all fun and games, till you whip yerself in the head... wink

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Well im SUPER happy to see a whip thread
Whip cracking in the wet whilst it may LOOK great is a KILLER or the whip - I wouldnt recomend!!
How to describe whip cracks!!! - As you say BovMonk - even more difficult than Poi moves - I have to be honest I just turn off!
Thats why I always salivate to find someone that can show me something!! - Pyrolific? Of course only when youve finished your studying - get back in the box GimpBoy before I get MY whips out!!
I have however seen an EXCELLENT Video made in NZ - I shall try to find the link for sales and post here
and finally - if MCP is now getting into Whips......ALL comers beware - If they were scared at your potential in Oz Josh - theyre gonna be running screaming to the hills when they see what this gyrl is likely to come up with!!!
Peas out and WhipCrack away

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've just been trawling through youtube again and been getting a little fed up of crappy whip videos.

So, I'm going to link to any that aren't completely rubbish, mainly for my own reference.

Erm, the youtube linking irritates me when there's a whole load of videos embedded into one page, so I'm cutting the url down to stop it embedding automatically. (If there's a better way of doing this, can someone let me know?).

Edit.. Decided that it's not worth the hassle of sorting out the auto embedding, so they're there to be cut and pasted now instead.

Urban Cowgirl

-

Adam Winrich two handed whipcracking performance

-

Adam Winrich two handed whipcracking the Felandy hoofbeats

-

Double Whip Cracking

-

2006 Phillip bullwhip SDGI

-

(prize quote "how's does he make that sound?" "it's a whip.. that's what it does")

Bullwhip Artist Gery L. Deer - short double whip rhythm

-

Queensland Crossover Vid

-

Whip Single (Chris Camp Video No.1)

-

Whip Targets (Chris Camp Video No.2)

-

Whip Guy Promo (Chris Camp Video No.3)

-

EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1178060570)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
None of those links work for me.... frown

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you'll have to change the 'u' in 'utube' to 'youtube' to get them to work.

Bovril: Thou in the future I think it might be easier to add an ampersand at the end of the URL to stop it being parsed and embedded by the forum software. Malcolm (I think it was him) did state that it was only the pure youtube url that would embed. Ones with ampersands and additional parameters at the end wouldn't. biggrin

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
That doesn't seem to work - I've tried adding various random bits and it still ends up embedded.
I'll do some more playing around in my intro thread to try and keep this thread on topic.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you tried putting the links in quote brackets?

It worked above smile

But then how did Meg do her link ok? Her second post has the link to the video, but the video isnt in the big player thingy.

confused

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I never bother to use the ubb url tags, i just stick it in the text and expect the parseing to recognise it as a URL and turn it blue.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Meg,

Maybe you can get this started in Scotland? https://www.aussiewhipmaker.com/WhipBoxing.htm

Cheers! wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
You'll forgive me I hope if i give that a raincheck?

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

You'll forgive me I hope if i give that a raincheck?

fully wicked stick? "fine"
whips with full protection? "nah..."

you're special Meg.

Ooh can you ask Ian if I can borrow his whip DVD (I assume that is the flat mate to whom you refer), also I want to see your new pretties :o)

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
For those of us able to get to wolverhampton on the 14th of July:

British Whipcracking Convention

smile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
OoooooOOoo..I guess they would have them here too.

I Might need to go buy a cowboy hat now!

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
dammit, both me and ian are working that day... frown

-><- Kallisti

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

For those of us able to get to wolverhampton on the 14th of July:

boo.... can't make that date frown

also, worked out yesterday that you can do an anti cattleman's (and anti cow n calf)

starting with whip in front and circling back, following same theory as forward (does almost feel like it's gonna break an elbow if you go too far)

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Damn I can't make that either. frown

How does anti-cow and calf work? Cow and calf can just about go any place? up and down, back and forth high and low. and up and down behind you, as well as all of those horizontally...

I wish I could do bovrils Xtreme btb-ish cattlemans crack. It's so awesome. And underhand (in reverse weave) throws... frown Gotta get used to my Big whips first thou... At least the volley is easier with these big uns... biggrin

BlueHairSarahnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireNix

Whip cracking in the wet whilst it may LOOK great is a KILLER or the whip - I wouldnt recomend!!

is this true for nylon whips too, or just leather?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Nope - nylon whips are great in the wet smile

They'll get a bit heavier as they soak up some water, but not enough to substantially change how they handle. It may well make the cracks a bit louder because of the extra mass moving around, but that's not really a disadvantage smile

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i just enjoy the cloud of vapourised water that comes off the cracker in the rain!!!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
better if its parrifin... wink

T wave

-><- Kallisti

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
OoooOOoooo, seems like I will make it to the convention after all...

Almost got the volley sorted... enough to wonder how the hell I'm going to get it on the otherside of my body... and horizontal... Then maybe I can be a multi-crack master like musashii... biggrin

Page: ...

HOP Newsletter