Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Whip moves!

I'm going to assume you're not an idiot, this thread isn't an excuse to go out and hurt yourself to make up a new crack. I don't think I know any crack that deliberately crack towards your body, rather the crack is always directed away. Thou sometimes it will hit me or the rebound from the crack, or on the way to the crack.

Also: WEAR PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT: a hat, a long sleeved top, and glasses. Aussies would recommend a wide brimmed hat, so you can tell if it's close to your face. But the best protection is learning to crack 'softly' and not force the whip. Once your confident, and you know where the whip 'is' in the space around you, you can learn how to crack it loudly and safely.

Here's the single cracks I know (ish - I can't remember the proper names sometimes, clarifications appreciated):

The throw: Starting out from behind you, you pull your arm forward and the crack happens where you point your arm, out in front of you. (as if throwing a spike underhand to a target in front of you)

The flick: from spinning the whip in a circle, you kinda flick a crack out using a punching-esque motion and the whip keeps going in the same direction as it started out.

Cattlemans crack: A typical direction change crack, starts with the whip laying on the ground, point behind you, you bring your arm up and the whip makes a big circle, as it's going over your shoulder, your change it's direction by extending your elbow and the crack occurs out in front of you.

Coachman's Crack: A cattle mans crack but you wait a lot longer from the crack and extend your arm downwards, so that the crack is next to your ear or above your head on that side.

Really there's only two crack's I know, a throw and a direction change crack, occuring at different places, but I'll go on to describe some patterns.

Figure of Eight - a cattlemans crack, and then the back crack version the other way, with a long drag of the whip inbetween.

Volley - (also called "fast figure of eight") Like a fast version of the above, a cattlemans crack and then on the rebound there is an immediate back crack. And so on continuously. (can be high or low or horizontal...)

Cow and Calf - (also called "whoosh - bang") A throw but pulled up after the crack and using that circle to do a cattlemans crack. And so on, continuously. (can be anywhere, high, side to side, up and down or low side to side. probably back hand up and down too.)

Snakekiller: Doing continuous flicks downwards, alternating from each side of the body. (As if trying to kill a snake on the ground in front of you.)

Meg's favourate pattern: Doing a throw behind your body in wall plane, pulling it forward on the rebound into cow and calf and after the cattlemans crack doing a throw from the otherside of the body.

Tasmanian Twist: I seem to recall it being a figure of eight, then you mangle the planes and do what is essentially a cattlemans crack BTB. But it usually points a little more down than normal.

Arrowhead: Volleys, but done in a special way: Volley back on one side, volley in front, and then volley back on the otherside of your body. making a V shape if viewed from above, hence the arrowhead.

Suicide Crack: Volleys, but done with both hands on the whip, in front and behind you, like the standard volley, but this time directly in line with your body, and the whip passes in a circular motion (well it goes forward on one side and backwards on the other) around you, making you look quite insane.

and the double cracks I know: (mostly names from aussie whipcracking competitions.)

The Train:

The cow and calf, in both hands, staggered (not full split time,) with the throw (the calf) a softer crack that the cow. Done so that it sounds like a train.

The Southern Cross:

"A crack to the Front immediately followed by an under the arm crack to the back then over head crack to one side followed immediately by a crack to the other side finished with a kinda helicopter wind up to an emphasized horizontal crack about 45 degrees to the front of the first side again. 5 cracks to different points representing 5 stars in the southern cross (famous constellation in the Aussie sky - as seen on our flag). " - thanks to pyrolific

Simple weave thing:

Continuous flicks out in front of you, from both hands, in a two beat weave. (flicks alternate sides of the body.) Same can be done in the three beat weave.

The arrowhead can also be used in a weave.

EDITED_BY: mcp (1184585329)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

CrackinCaznewbie
6 posts

Posted:
For the Aussie Whippers out there:

I've been considering a pair of Angie Mooneys trick trainer 4' Stockwhips to learn doublehanded with.. https://whipcracking.com.au/#3

But I'm not sure if they're worth it - they're incredibly cheep (hence the appeal) but I wonder if its a case of getting what you pay for..

I already have a 6' 12 plait stockwhip.. and was considereing the alternative of buying a matching buddy for it..

But as cash is an issue - the $120.00 for a matched pair of whips to learn on seems a good option.. but if they're going to fall apart in 6 months I'd rather save (a lot) longer and just buy another decent full length stockwhip for the $450 or so it will cost to match the quality of this one (my uncles from his jackarooing days - still in top condition).

I'm keen to get upto competition standard and so for this I need 6' stockwhips anyway (for aussie whip comptitions run by the APWA).

So.. I guess I just wanna be sure I'm not wasting my hard earned cash on toys that are just that - toys when I should be buying the real deal straight up & just go the hard yards & learn all my tricks with the bigger whips?

What do you guys think??

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
The chances of getting a match made for your existing stock are slim to none, paired whips are made as such to get everything as close to the same in both as possible. Even if you get a whip with exactly the same weight hide, the same taper, the same length, the same core construction, the stock you have is nicely broken in, a new one will take (how old is your uncle's?) to get to the same condition...

Try this yahoo group for advice on new whips, there's a lot of whipmakers on there, and a lot of experience. Someone there is likely to have played with the Angie Mooneys and will be able to give you a reasonable assessment of them.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

CrackinCaznewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Thanks!
really appreciate your help *goes off to check yahoo*

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i'm away for the whipcracking festival, but i'll be at play. I can't learn from all this written jargon in here! i need somebody to at least show me a crack, then i can at least try to copy it.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
for anyone thats interested....

i'm in discussions with a really good whip maker to make a plaited fire whip out of kevlar thread. biggrin

hopefully should be awesome.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

1,286 posts

Posted:
you mean like the ones by riz?

O.B.E.S.E.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
kind of, in that it will be an actual whip.he's looking at a pure kevlar 12 plait whip, riz only does a 6 plait with a mixture of kevlar blend. and before you ask yes it probably will be more expensive than riz, but what we're hoping for is to keep the whips characteristics as close to a normal whip as possible while using a different material. its going to be a while and take some experiementing before he comes up with something.

the whip maker is Simon Martin. he's a really nice guy and is reccommended by some of the best crackers in the world, even better than that hes based only a couple towns away!.

hopefully by the end of it all he'll have a kick arse new product and i'll have fire whip No1. biggrin

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure I could get someone to put in the effort to make me a proper fire whip, knowing that I'm just going to set it on fire wink

That said, after having a go with a fire whip for the first time on saturday night, I'm considering making a fire stock whip for myself.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Just dropping a quick link in here...

Adam Winrich has a load of tutorials on youtube - here's the index of his videos

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
For anyone who fancies a go at making themselves a bullwhip:
Nylon Bullwhip Tutorial

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned in here already, so I'll link it anyway - The British Whipcracking Convention.
It's in Wolverhampton this Saturday (5th July) and costs £15

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
OMG+++ i get back to the UK on saturday. yay.

pity ill be dead from the tour of europe and the fact that i dont even know where wolverhampton is.

anywhere near london?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Not really, it's just west of Birmingham, so probably 3 hours drive from London at least frown

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Oi, Majesticky - You heading to Wales and/ or Play?

biggrin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
no and no. as i seem to be saying a lot of late, i'm in london next week then doing a 8 day tour around england scotland then back to uni in tassie i go.

just a quick family holiday.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo if you are back in tassie for uni does that mean you will be heading to the circus fest again?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Very nice links and vids - I just bought my first two whips when I left Delhi. Certainly not the best in quality and they can't remotely compete with Simon Martin's whips (master whipmaker) but as for a starter I was happy to only invest a few bucks for them. I will keep you posted on how they perform and last...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

1,286 posts

Posted:
Bov, in that tutorial, they use electrical tape to hold the belly together, surely that'd restict the whips movement? i'm no expert like, but aren't they usually plaited?

O.B.E.S.E.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
The electrical tape's there to help make the join between the handle pin and the belly a bit more secure, and also to give it a bit more springiness and help even out the taper when you drop strands out.
Leather whips have bolsters between the braided layers that do the same.

I've been following those directions (kind of - I'm making a stockwhip instead of a bullwhip) but I cut the core strands a bit longer and braided them together into a 4 strand braid until I dropped the first strand.
That was mainly because I thought it'd be easier than keeping them all lined up next to each other while I taped them up wink

We've got just over 2 full weeks until Play - I reckon you could have one braided by then tongue

1,286 posts

Posted:
need to get hold of the paracord first!

O.B.E.S.E.

Cracknewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey CrackinCaz, in response to your whip purchasing del-amour! UNDERSTOOD!!!
Just wanted to say - Angie Mooney's whips are defineately NOT toys and will NOT fall apart in 6 months. They are cow hide and crack really well. You can flog them to death, and not worry ie. crack on the surfaces you'd usually not want to crack with your roo hides for a lot longer.

When you are purchasing a whip pair, you have them made at the same time - by the same whip maker, with the same hide and plaited simultaneously or one straight after the other - to ensure they are as balanced and as same as they can be. Therefore to find an exact match to the whip you have from your uncle will be rather hard, the timing of the whips will be different, and this WILL matter for APWA.

Hope this sheds a little light on your decision making.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Just dropping in another video by Adam Winrich..

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Thanks Bov - nice long whip from the yank
See you at Bristol?
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
nice video bov! i can never learn from reading.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
yeah me neither
Poi's hard enough but whip.... Nah

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Erm, it seems I don't do much except drop in videos from Adam Winrich - this one's on multiple cracks

Meg, if you read this, you need to learn those then teach them to me wink

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Another video, this time by someone else - Synchronized Whip Cracking: 4/4 time, 96 BPM

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
finally getting figure of 8 smile

basic i know but i never practice until yesterday because the cricket had just finished (australia V south africa) and instead of running to my car and getting stuck in traffic trying to leave i went to another oval next to where i was parked and finally took them time to figure it out.

it feels soo good getting a new crack grin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Awww Yeah, Bov, that's some nice multi cracking... but I wanna learn speed cracking... like what musashii is doing at the end of this vid:

starts at 4:19

Meg

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Feck! That is mental!

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: TheBovrilMonkeyNot really, it's just west of Birmingham, so probably 3 hours drive from London at least

That made me laugh, here in Montana 3 hours away from anything is pretty damn close... Takes me a 10 hour drive to see my family!

Human

Page:

HOP Newsletter